GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
About 2 months ago we ordered our SLT and we are excited to finally be taking delivery later this week. It took so long because of the American Axle strike;-( Anyway, we have heard that it comes standard with an onboard Verizon cell phone. All we have to do is contact Verizon and they will activate it under our current Verizon account. Is this TRUE? Does it only work with Verizon? We are considering changing our cell phone service to At&t.

Are any of you using the onboard cell phone? Do you like it? Is there a way to forward you cell #'s to your car easily when on the road?

Here in California we will have to use "hands free" cell devices as of July (I think). With this onboard cell # that would be really cool to use if it works good.

Thanks Royce

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ordered an '09 because I wanted bluetooth, among other things, but before that, I was looking at the '08, and yes there is a deal with Verizon. From what I was told, if you have Verizon you can get another phone number, like you would get in a family plan, and use that number in you Acadia. So if someone wanted to call you at that number it would ring in your Acadia using the On*Star hands free phone. You can also set your regular cell phone to call forwarding when you are driving, so that anyone that calls your regular cell phone will also get you in your Acadia. The other way would be to subscribe to the On*Star phone service, but that is more expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's really easy to forward your cell phone, whether you keep your OnStar number or sign-up with Verizon. Just use the speed dial on your cell phone. My speed dial is set up to *72 and then the phone number of my car to forward my cell phone to the car. I have another speed dial set up to *73 to cancel the forward. Be sure you remember to cancel, since your car phone has no voice mail, so you will miss call and not even know it.

I have Verizon for my cell phone but chose to stay with OnStar for my Outlook. I don't use it enough for it to be cheaper to switch. It would cost me 9.99 a month to switch to Verizon (by adding it to my family plan). It's $40 for 100 minutes from OnStar, which lasts me almost a year, so definitely cheaper than Verizon. I guess it will depend how much you will be using the phone. Also, keep in mind that you lose the Virtual Advisor feature if you switch to Verizon.

And I'm pretty sure you have to have an OnStar subscription for the phone to work, even if you sign up with Verizon. But I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have my Acadia's Onstar hooked up to our Verizon FamilyShare plan. It's $9.99/month and becomes another "line" on our existing plan. My wife LOVES it. In fact, she almost never uses her handset anymore - all of her minutes are used in the Acadia ...

Bluetooth is nice, but I've never had a BT device I'm happy with - too much static for my liking. That's everything from my Motorola HF820 to my Jawbone, and everything inbetween. None of them "really" sound great - except the Onstar service.

I do the same thing as the folks above - have a speed dial setup to forward calls to the Acadia, and to cancel call forwarding. It's really easy; you just need to remember to cancel it when you exit the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts