GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our new 2008 Acadia, and we are very impressed so far. Tonight we tried out the onstar turn by turn navigation. It was incredible. We gave the agent an address. They downloaded the turn by turn directions to the car and the dispay showed the distance to each turn plus voice directions. We have the regular navigation system too, but the onstar was extremely convenient, accurate, and fairly quick. It took us right to the house address (distance in yards as you got close). For those of you who have this feature, you should try it out. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Where does it display the turn instructions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I don't have the NAV on mine, but I do use the Turn by Turn. The turn by turn directions display on the dot matrix display of the radio on mine. I really like this system. I'm looking forward to when the Mapquest directions is done with Beta testing and released. With this, you can create your directions on Mapquest, and then upload them to Onstar and then Onstar will download them into your vehicle. You can then use Onstar to give you the directions step by step so you don't need to look at your Mapquest printout.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I love the Onstar turn-by-turn too! And with Mapquest, it's been even more awesome because I'm one of those freaky people who hates to pick up the phone and call. LOL Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of occasion to use it. The road trips have been slow lately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Web Raven - Are you one of the Mapquest Beta testers. I was told that you can only use Mapquest with Onstar if you are part of the Beta test. Do you know if that is true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
GAR said:
The turn by turn directions display on the dot matrix display of the radio on mine.
My rig doesn't have that feature.

Web Raven said:
I'm one of those freaky people who hates to pick up the phone and call.
Ditto. I'm on the phone enough for work. Plus, I can enter the info 100x faster than some minimum-wage drone on the phone. Hell, it takes minutes for people to even get my last name correct (it's 5 whole letters). I *hate* doing that kind of stuff on the phone.

Gimme the Yahoo MapQuest thingie now!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like calling Onstar because it was faster than typing everything in, plus you cant type address while driving. Mine displayed on the driver information center and the dispay was dynamic counting down miles or yards. Acadia is really nice. Way to go GM.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
Web Raven - Are you one of the Mapquest Beta testers. I was told that you can only use Mapquest with Onstar if you are part of the Beta test. Do you know if that is true?
Yep. They sent me an email invite some time ago. I've only used it a handful of times so far though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
jfencl - I've made mistakes before, so I could be wrong, but I think the Turn by Turn navigation is standard on all Acadia's. It's an OnStar service that costs about $10 per month but comes free for the first year.

To all - I find the "phone call" to be very simple. I have simply told them where I need to go, and within seconds the directions are loaded. I find it much faster to do this than to pull over and enter in my own info into a NAV system. I can do it while I'm driving. I don't know if I would pay the $10 per month no more often than I use it, but I would recommend everyone at least try it once or twice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
On Star is 16.95 per month after the free trial. Turn by Turn which included in Directions and Connections is 10 bucks more for 26.95 per month total

With my Outlook we got On Star free for a year and Turn by Turn free for 60 days. Since i have used Turn by Turn about 5 times they just offered to give it to me for free for the rest of my trial
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I agree, it is simple to make a phone call and on occasion I've had no choice but to do so. However, like I said before, I'm one of those freaky people who does not like to pick up the phone. I rarely even answer my own cell phone. LOL

With MapQuest, I keep stored several addresses that I visit frequently, including one for Home. So no matter where I am, I can always hit that blue button and say "Home" and it'll take me there.

Because I also have a Garmin C340, I doubt I will renew this service once it expires... unless of course by then I have a sugardaddy who's willing to pay for the service for me. Hey, it could happen. haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
We depend on MAP QUEST where she enjoys flipping pages with maps! When we travel a far couple times a year, used to the Map Quest Routing. Perhaps resale of the vehicle with XM[Expired] and Onstar will be worth a couple extra bucks? :) That reminds me, we still have about 90 minutes remaining on phone. Guess we'd better use that up within the next 7 months. :blob:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Web Raven said:
With MapQuest, I keep stored several addresses that I visit frequently, including one for Home. So no matter where I am, I can always hit that blue button and say "Home" and it'll take me there.
OK, I'm somewhat confused. I thought the Mapquest option stored specific point to point routes, say from some point A to home. Are you saying that you have your home position stored and it will take you there regardless of your current location?

Please explain.

Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
zman said:
Web Raven said:
With MapQuest, I keep stored several addresses that I visit frequently, including one for Home. So no matter where I am, I can always hit that blue button and say "Home" and it'll take me there.
OK, I'm somewhat confused. I thought the Mapquest option stored specific point to point routes, say from some point A to home. Are you saying that you have your home position stored and it will take you there regardless of your current location?

Please explain.

Thanks.
You can store actual locations. So no matter where I am at, if I load up the Virtual Advisor and tell it "HOME" it will route me to home from my current location.

I think there's a limit on the number of locations you can have stored, but I have not yet reached it. I have maybe 5 locations stored in there right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
5 is the max locations you can store. Any attempt to add more will prompt you to delete saved destinations from your list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Does anyone know when the Mapquest Turn by Turn upload to OnStar will be out of beta test and available for all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Web Raven said:
You can store actual locations. So no matter where I am at, if I load up the Virtual Advisor and tell it "HOME" it will route me to home from my current location.

I think there's a limit on the number of locations you can have stored, but I have not yet reached it. I have maybe 5 locations stored in there right now.
Excellent. Thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
boltbacker told us that you can also buy the Turn by turn service ala carte. Either like 3 trips or by the month. That's not a bad feature so that you can still use it from time to time without signing up for the full year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I never saw an option for the 3 trip option, only a one month subscription? ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,762 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top