GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine locked their keys in there Chevy Truck and called the On Star # to unlock the truck. He made the call from my Acadia which was parked right next to the truck (also equipped w/ on star). When they attempted to unlock the truck, my locks were cycling up and down! We were instructed to move the Acadia away from the truck.

My concern is that someone might use this to get into someone elses locked vehicle that is equipped w/ On Star.

I understand that this is a rare situation, but has anyone else noticed this? What happens when On Star becomes more prevailent? I hope they fix this issue.

FunkD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Perhaps that had something to do with you being connected to OnStar. If that is the case, it would be a non-issue. I'm just guessing though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Boltbacker, any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
woah, that's both cool and scary. It is very possible that no one has been in that particular situation before... unlocking on onstar vehicle with another parked very close. I guess I could google the topic to see if there are any other reports of this happening. If it is a new discovery, and thieves find out, you can bet that they will use that tactic any chance they get (though they still wouldn't have the keys, but avoiding the process of actually "breaking in" would avoid a lot of attention).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had this happen w/ a previous car.

Apparently when you use the OnStar service the "system" is automatically locked in on the vehicle it connected from (your Acadia).

The best way to get your friends car unlocked would have been to use a cell phone call 1800OnStar and give them the subscribers name and PIN number, then they will be "locked in" on the correct vehicle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
JoeVegas said:
I had this happen w/ a previous car.

Apparently when you use the OnStar service the "system" is automatically locked in on the vehicle it connected from (your Acadia).

The best way to get your friends car unlocked would have been to use a cell phone call 1800OnStar and give them the subscribers name and PIN number, then they will be "locked in" on the correct vehicle.
But this makes no sense. They assume that if you're making the call using OnStar that you're locked out of that vehicle? :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We called the OnStar # (1-888-4On-Star) and this is what happened. We were not utilizing the OnStar in my vehicle.

FunkD

·
Registered
45 Posts
OH - I assumed since you said "we called from my Acadia" that you used the OnStar system.

It shouldn't have happened that way as each unit (vehicle) has it's own individual "address" kind of like a MAC address for a computer. On a lark, I just tried this with mine and my wifes cars, using a cell phone sitting in my Acadia, my locks were silent - her's opened.

I wouldn't worry about theft (via OnStar) because a thief would have to find 2 vehicles parked side by side and then know the PIN for one of them, in order to steal the other one ! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
They must have been using the number you dialed from to pull up the account by mistake. OnStar uses a direct data connection to the vehicle to do the door unlock - it is not simply a wireless unlock signal like a remote, but an actual call into the vehicle. The vehicle goes through a varification process with the OnStar computer before doing the unlock.

There is absolutely no chance that the proximity of your vehicle to the other had anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
BoltBacker works for OnStar, so hopefully he'll chime in soon to let us know what sort of danger this provides. It does sound like an account mixup, but since they asked him to "move his vehicle further away" almost sounds like it's a proximity thing. joeVegas tried the same thing and didn't get the same issue, though, so who knows.

Boltbacker might still be reeling from the spanking his team got last night by the Pats. Bolt - where the heck is LT this year??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Again, OnStar connects directly to the vehicle - it is not a proximity thing. There is zero chance that OnStar could unlock a "close by" vehicle. The only way that OnStar could have unlocked the wrong vehicle is for them to bring up the wrong account (probably using the number that they were calling from) and connecting to that vehicle. The process requires an actual phone call to the vehicle to connect to the computer - not a wireless "unlock" signal to the vehicle.

I just want to make sure people aren't thinking that this could happen to their vehicle in error.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Acropolis said:
I just want to make sure people aren't thinking that this could happen to their vehicle in error.
But it did...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe you, but why did they ask me to move thye acadia away from the truck if it's not a proximity thing?

FunkD

·
Registered
22 Posts
FunkD said:
I believe you, but why did they ask me to move thye acadia away from the truck if it's not a proximity thing?

FunkD
Most likely lack of knowledge of the advisor. It is very common for the advisors to make the mistake of using the number you called from to look up an account even if you give them a different phone number. The system will automatically pull up the account if the number you call from matches an account. They are supposed to verify that this is the account (and vehicle) you are calling about, but they often don't.

The way the OnStar system is designed, it is physically not possible to unlock any vehicle other than the vehicle the advisor physically connects to via the computer system. They have to bring up the account, select the correct vehicle, connect to it and then unlock the car.

·
Registered
362 Posts
But I doubt the PIN would've matched... ???

·
Registered
22 Posts
jfencl said:
But I doubt the PIN would've matched... ???
I can't explain that and I don't know what the exact conversation was that took place, but I do know as a fact that OnStar does not just send a "broadcast signal" out to unlock doors. It is all done through a direct connection to the vehicle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well, unless the OP made up the incident, something serious broke down with OnStar. It *can* happen again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
jfencl said:
Well, unless the OP made up the incident, something serious broke down with OnStar. It *can* happen again.
I'm not saying he made up the incident. I am just saying that they pulled up his account using the number he dialed from and unlocked that vehicle (whether they should have or not). I just don't want people to think that OnStar can unlock a vehicle by mistake because of proximity. That is completely false.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Acropolis said:
jfencl said:
I'm not saying he made up the incident. I am just saying that they pulled up his account using the number he dialed from and unlocked that vehicle (whether they should have or not). I just don't want people to think that OnStar can unlock a vehicle by mistake because of proximity. That is completely false.
I'm not saying they can either. What I'm more concerned about is them unlocking a car without the correct PIN (if indeed that is what happened). Regardless, they screwed up their procedures somewhere. Doesn't make me feel secure either way. Plus, the operator obviously needs to be schooled on both accounts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts