GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been posting for a week or two (with a different screen name - I changed it last night) about going Acadia or Odyssey. I was really back and forth. We had a 2 day test drive of the Acadia. Loved it. I had a long test drive 2 months ago of the Ody when I had my sister's for a week. Loved it. Ok, didn't really love it but it was bigger than my accord and at the time with my kids and her kids, the extra space was welcome.

So, help me make sure I am not making the wrong choice!!! I know this will meet our needs of 2 kids now, 3-4 total in the next 5 years. More room to buy big stuff without bugging a friend to pick it up for us or paying for delivery. Carry a couple extra friends or cousins or whatever. Be able to help carpool for preschool fieldtrips because I actually have the room to do it. Creature comforts like remote start, leather, steering wheel audio controls, DVD, power lift gate (me and the girls are shorties - husband, not so much). It is a fun ride. My husband said last night that if he has to leave to run an errand at night after work he would feel cool taking the Acadia and feel kinda lame taking a van.

I have seen a *couple* of people who regretted their purchases. But mostly they needed more power or weren't realistic that the Acadia is not a minivan. I am realistic about that. There is a a couple of 200+ page threads on the forums at edmunds.com about crossovers in general and acadias specifically. All over the web, I have read the good (lots) the bad (a tiny bit) and the ugly (not so much.) I figure if I had read 100's of pages of forums about Honda accords I would find several with less than positive experiences and I have had not a single major complaint with any one of the accords I have owned.

I know where to come for imformation if I have trouble - this is a big leap to a truck for us. (Not a total truck but more truck than we have ever had.) I can find out about hitches and back up cameras and tires and all that. Thank you to all who have answered my questions along the way by the way!!

My husband said this morning that he needed to just go ahead and buy me the car so I can stop obsessing with gathering imformation. I will admit, I have been somewhat obsessed.

Hold my hand as I take this leap!!!!!

Meredith

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: OK - I am pretty sure I am ready to sign.....

You wait until you're ready and you'll never be ready. Whatever you decide to do, if you've done as much research and due consideration as you can, then squeeze the trigger. Every venture has inherent risks, but at least with this forum you know what they are with the Acadia. Good luck!

·
Registered
542 Posts

You sound like me. I research everything. I knew I was going to buy this car way back last year before it was in production but I wanted to be sure. 10 months later I got the car. Due to my diligence, it is exactly what I expected and there have been no surprises. 2,000 miles later I am happy as can be with it.

·
Registered
956 Posts

I have never owned a mini van nor will I, but I do think the Acadia is a good compromise between a mini van and a suv. Mine is an early one and I have had it for six months and so far no problems except having the updates done. I have owned premium foreign cars and premimum American cars. The foreign cars used to be better, but I don't think so now. I have a friend that is a european car mechanic. His shop only works on the expensive ones and he tells my that BMW's and Mercedes are very trouble prone and he would not personally own one. He drives a late model american car. The last foreign car I had was late model Acura. It was a good car, but far from perfect. The model I had was prone to trans failures and there is a class action suit against American Honda due to this. The brakes were lousy and would warp rotors very easily. The leather interior did not hold up well and the heated drivers seat failed along with the rear window defogger. The passenger side seat air bag sensor also failed and cost over $800. to repair. If you went on the Acura forum you found many happy owners and some disgruntled ones. My point is that over 35,000 Acadia's and their siblings have been built, but if you look at how many owners actually complain about any major problem it is very very small so far. I think GM has really bet it's future on this car. I would not be afraid to recommend it to someone who needed or wanted this type of car. Just remember it's not a sports car, or a economy car, or a heavy duty truck that can haul a 10,000 pound trailer around. It is a vehicle that will hall 7 or 8 people in comfort, it is quiet on the road, handles the curves well for it's size and weight, has average acceleration, and the fuel mileage is somewhere between 17 and 24 mpg depending on your driving habits, the load you are carrying, the weather, traffic conditions, and the road that is being traveled.

·
Registered
122 Posts

It's a tough call Meredith. I'm struggling myself between the Acadia/Outlook, Highlander or a new Volvo XC90. None are directly comparable but all fit my needs. I'm past the having young kids phase but when we were there we had a Dodge Caravan and 2 Odysseys and the Hondas were amazing family haulers. Definitely not a "cool" factor but they are so darn practical and functional for every day taxi duties, trips to home depot, camping, road trips, Etc. The vehicle seemed to transform itself to meet our every whim and it was very solid and reliable. That's why we ended up owning two of them back-to-back. But your sister has already told you about that. You have a much easier decision to make than you think. Face it...you LOVE this car. IMO for your current situation and headcount it sounds like the Acadia is a perfect fit, especially if you can't live with the idea of a minivan. As Big Bear said, the Acadia really is a good compromise. It drives like a car which is a big plus, it looks fantastic and has as much interior versatility as you are going to find short of a minivan. I say Go for it!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

We were at our friend's house tonight (friends who are going to buy an Acadia as well...who also suggested the car to us in the first place!) and we were chatting while the kids were playing. They kind of made fun of me for spending so much time in research! They say I am over thinking it that I am too concerned with things like the 07 black carpet vs. the 08 titanium carpet. That I have spent too much time reading, but, if they need to know anything, they have been asking me!

I really do love it.

Keith, I feel like I have done 10 months worth of research in 2 weeks!!! I only ever knew about the Acadia about a month ago!

Big Bear, thanks for the encouragement and the long answer. It has really helped.

Wiscbadger - I just need to go for it!

·
Registered
140 Posts

Meredith-
I had two minivans before my Acadia, and they worked great for our family at the time, but they were still minivans, and I never wanted to be a minivan mom. If we could've afforded it at the time, we would've gotten an suv instead of a minivan, but the minivan was the most practical choice. The Acadia might not be the most practical choice for you, but I guarantee you will love it like you wouldn't love a minivan. Some people are perfectly content driving just about anything, but I'm not that way, and it doesn't sound like you are either, if you've spent this much time researching your options. If you get the minivan, you will regret not getting an Acadia, especially anytime you see one on the road. You might also second-guess yourself on the Acadia, like I even do (because of the price tag, nothing else), but that's just human nature. Every time I get into my Acadia (and we've had it three months), I'm reminded how much I love it. With the minivans, at the outset I was grateful for the extra space, but the excitement ended there.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Tom- Choose anything BUT THE VOLVO! Take it from some one that had one, they are no longer the sound cars they used to be. Within the first month, I had a carbon monoxide leak that took three weeks to find and fix. I would have taken the car and rammed it into the dealership if not for the fact I got a loaner. Everytime I took it in, it was in for at least a week and after it was out of warranty, it was very costly to fix. (My car was in the shop for major repairs at least 4 times a year and I bougth it new) Plus, for $45+, I wanted the dash to look better than the $25 S40.

I WILL NEVER BUY A VOLVO AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
497 Posts

Meridith--
You're worse than I am about researching things to death. We've had our Acadia since March 9 and, like bigbearcraig, NO PROBLEMS at all. Only the updates and oil changes. We've got over 9K miles on it, it's been on a 2K mile road trip, and overall, we like it better than our past 2 Audi wagons.

SIGN! SIGN!! SIGN!!!

You won't regret it.

·
Registered
122 Posts

mckcab said:
Tom- Choose anything BUT THE VOLVO! Take it from some one that had one, they are no longer the sound cars they used to be. Within the first month, I had a carbon monoxide leak that took three weeks to find and fix. I would have taken the car and rammed it into the dealership if not for the fact I got a loaner. Every time I took it in, it was in for at least a week and after it was out of warranty, it was very costly to fix. (My car was in the shop for major repairs at least 4 times a year and I bought it new) Plus, for $45+, I wanted the dash to look better than the $25 S40.

I WILL NEVER BUY A VOLVO AGAIN!!!
Thanks for your valued opinion mckcab. I've had no issues yet with my current 2004 Volvo XC70 that I purchased new, but I know what you mean. The Volvo forums are full of problem cars and unhappy owners. I may start another thread on this frustration in making a decision on a vehicle but I'm feeling a little guilty rite now for unintentionally stealing Meredith's Thread.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Tom - No apology needed for the hijack!!!

I was lusting after an XC90 until I drove one and saw how impractical it was for my family. So, no worries!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Crap - now I am starting to second guess myself after giving more thought to these few issues....

-water leaking in at B pillar/seatbelt
-power steering failure
-sluggish transmission issues even after reflash?
-there are a few others but those just sound like little annoyances that can come from having "power everything" - come with the territory.

Help!!! Are those things isolated incidents or chronic across the board?

Meredith

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

My '08 has none of those issues so far, with the exception of minor transmission sluggishness. And there will be another reflash for the transmission available in mid-August.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Mama2girls said:
Crap - now I am starting to second guess myself after giving more thought to these few issues....

-water leaking in at B pillar/seatbelt
-power steering failure
-sluggish transmission issues even after reflash?
-there are a few others but those just sound like little annoyances that can come from having "power everything" - come with the territory.

Help!!! Are those things isolated incidents or chronic across the board?

Meredith
Meredith,

Interesting you should mention this. I’ve been wrestling with the same thought process. As I mentioned earlier I’ve been vacillating between the Acadia/Outlook, a new Highlander or a new Volvo XC90. I carefully study and watch the respective forums for problems and issues experienced by owners. Although you do have to take the complaints with a grain of salt there are certain patterns that emerge that seem to be manufacturer specific. The Acadia is the most desirable because of its size, great ride quality and overall functionality but I too have been alarmed by all the problems brought up on the forum. I find it interesting that we have become so numb to these issues that it seems we just accept anything put out there. I would have a hard time reporting that I have a puddle of water at my feet and then saying how confident I am in GM and how great the vehicle is. These things cost $35,000.00!!! That is an enormous amount of money, and personally, I expect more for my hard earned money. The list of complaints and problems is substantially longer on the Acadia than the other 2 that I’m looking at. They all have issues but in terms of long term quality, GM is at the bottom of the three. In order of desire for me it’s the Acadia, the XC90 and lastly the Highlander. In terms of the fewest short and long term problems it’s the Highlander then the XC90 with the Acadia being last. Of coarse the Acadia is new so I can only use GMC’s long term reliability history as a rule and that hasn’t been very good over the past 5 years. The Acadia is priced fairly but then Volvo always has attractive end of year inventory sales and the $45,000.00 XC90 can be bought for $38,000.00 and change rite now. The Highlander will be at MSRP or maybe $1,000.00 below for a while since it just hit the streets. Now….. if I could just get the fresh and attractive design of the Acadia, built to Toyota’s quality standards using the very high end materials and safety measures of the Volvo, I would be in auto heaven. I’m going crazy trying to decide on a new SUV/CUV. Good luck in your decision Meredith.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Tom - I really have appreciated your input on all of this. The other two you are considering, XC90 abd Highlander, were on my list a few months ago but they really are not practical enough to meet my growing families' needs. If I didn't have to cart kids around and carpool and actually use the 3rd row and go to and from soccer and all that, then maybe they could stay on my list. Plus, in the next couple of years, I need to be able to seat up to 4 children (we have 2 now) in a user friendly way and the highlander and XC90 do not fit that bill. I have a friend with an XC90 (2 kids - no more) and she said there was no way she would be driving it if she had to use the 3rd row on a regular basis. Too hard to deal with it. I need to seat 3 across the back row. Period. Any of the 2-seater 3rd rows are out of the question. (The Mazda CX9, the Audi Q7, the Pacifica, etc...) Oh - and folding the 3rd row of the Volvo was a nightmare! The highlander, even as an 08 that has been inflated in size, is just too small.

So, it has definitely come down to minivan or the Acadia. And as far as minivans go, the no brainer answer is an Odyssey. But, we desperately do not want a minivan - we are trying really hard to maintain that illusion of cool! Our kids still think we are pretty cool anyway....

So, now it comes down to being willing to deal with recalls - which is fine - like software updates or a switch or something to that effect. But fundemental flaws in the design and fit (like leaking pillars) I would bet are harder to fix in a recall - can't exactly swap out an entire side panel, can they? Adding additional gaskets or something for water tightness - if it actually fixed the problem, would be fine I guess.

My husband has now finally said he would be fine either way - there are trade-offs to each vehicle. I love your thought process though - the exterior of the acadia, the build reliability of the toyota, and the safety of a volvo....I could did that!

·
Registered
251 Posts

Mama2girls said:
But, we desperately do not want a minivan
I'm not trying to be funny, but it sounds to me like your decision is already made but you desparately do not want to commit to it. Until you do, you're only going to keep driving yourself crazy :eek:hno:

·
Registered
17 Posts

OK, I am about to give this discussion another twist. I am in exactly the same boat as Mama2girls and Tom H, and pretty much the same line of thought. I would love to call an Acadia my own, but am very concerned about reliability.

The twist is this: for some reason I associate reliability with long term ownership and resale value. Therefore I figured that to mitigate my doubts I should get on a 3 year lease. This solves two problems 1) the car is under warranty all of the time I have it. 2) I couldn't care less about resale value. In addition, by the time the lease is over these vehicles will then have an actual reliability record and if excellent, I can then move on to actual ownership (maybe even a Chevy, there is something about them).

The problem is, can I get a good deal? Apparently all the incentives, rebates, etc. are for right out purchases. I saw a very attractive 39 mos. $299, $2500 down lease on the paper but it turned out to be a teaser since it was only offered on a basic model with no options.

Am I totally off-track on thinking of the lease as a solution to the dilemma? What do you folks think?

·
Registered
122 Posts

Actually, I thought of the lease option as well. You are so rite about it mitigating all the issues we have been talking about. Also, for Meredith it gives her the opportunity to see if the Acadia is up to the task of meeting the needs of her ever-growing family. At the end of a three year lease she could always move into an Odyssey or equivalent if she saw the need to. The down side for me is that I understand nothing of the lease process and I'm afraid I would be prone to getting ripped off. I guess I cold educate myself to the inner working of auto leasing but I have also heard that in leasing you ultimately end up with zero equity in a vehicle which makes buying extremely difficult unless you are excessively wealty. I currently have about 12k equity in my Volvo. I wouldn't know where to begin negotiating on a lease.

Have you considered this option Meredith?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

rudykizuty said:
Until you do, you're only going to keep driving yourself crazy :eek:hno:
Not to mention the rest of us....

·
Registered
17 Posts

Tom H, ditto here!! I have never ever leased a vehicle in my life!
I am not worried about the equity since you know going in that you are "renting" the car and not acquiring an asset. I am worried about paying too much in interest and all the other stuff, plus the fact that they don't seem to be doing any lease incentives. The guy from my Saturn dealer told me that the current lease program they have is comparable to a 6% loan. This is at the same time they are offering 1.9% and 2.9% finance terms on purchases.

Anyway thanks for your post. It confirms my ideas so I guess it is time to do some auto lease research and education.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts