GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - First let me start out by saying that we are a GM family. Over that past 6 years we bought my 02 2500HD - and then 02 Trailblazer. We sold the Trailblazer in 04 and bought a new Z-71 Tahoe. My deal with my wife is that we buy her a new car every 3 years because we use it to commute to work together. We liked the Tahoe so much we kept it an extra year. So now its time to trade in the Tahoe and buy something new.

We really want to buy an Acadia - but cant seem to be able to pull the trigger. I cant get past the High Sticker price of a SLT2 Acadia - your looking at over 45k for a 'mid sized' CUV. Thats the same price I paid for the Tahoe. Also - with Bernacki lowering interest rates almost every day(not really) - Just seems like it - I cant get past the lack of good interest rates GM is offering....If they went to 1.9 or even 2.9 - it will make it easier to swallow the higher price - but 5.9 or 6.9 is ridiculous.

Now for the Pilot - the new 09's are coming out within a month - so the dealers are really pushing the 08s. You can get one for 3500 less then invoice. They are not advertising it...but the dealers are getting 3500 to push them out before the 09's get here. Plus they are doing 2.9%. Thats 29k+/- for a loaded Pilot. One of the Top rated Mid SUV's out there.

Another thing that bothers me - is that I am looking to get around - maybe if I am lucky- 15k for my Tahoe in trade - thats a huge hit off the 45k sticker - where I see trades for 04 Pilots getting 19k/20k when the sticker was only 34k.

Am I going to be hit on the Acadia just like the Tahoe in 3 years - because its not a "Honda or Toyota"

Now I know - I might get flamed on this post - but its a real issue that I am going through - I really want to stay GM - but the High Price and High Interest rates GM has is killing me !!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just my biased 2 cents, but the Pilot to me looks too upright and boxy still. The Acadia looks rounded and smoooth. However, we are buying a CRV for my wife, so you probably can't go wrong with either. Personal choice...you can get your price on either...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Why not keep the Tahoe? Financially, buying a new car every 3 years is quite masochistic. But if you insist on doing so, getting the Honda probably would be a better choice from a resale standpoint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with your assessment about trade-in value - Toyota & Honda will hold their value much better than the GMC. (People perceive the imports to be better built, longer lasting IMHO.) I keep my vehicles for 12-15 years so trade value was not an issue I even considered. We compared the Acadia to the Highlander Hybrid & chose the Acadia based on more room - you can seat adults in the 3rd row and there is more cargo room behind the 3rd row.

As for the price - $45K sounds a little high to me, but you can hit that if you load it with everything. Mine is an SLT2, FWD, extras: sunroof, DVD system, trailering pkg. I do not have HUD, Nav System, larger wheels. My sticker was $39,420, negotiated to $38,060. I checked my notes from 2007 when I was comparing all the mid-size SUVs and I have the Pilot EX-L V6 at $35,364 with DVD, back-up sensor, 3rd row seats (essentially what I have in the Acadia). So I guess that's close to your estimate of $3500 under invoice.

I don't think you'll get close to 2% unless they roll out a program. I brought in my own financing and the dealership matched it - 6.5% in November, it was about 1.5% less than they offered me.

I hope this helps, I took 8 months looking at & test driving the vehicles that I considered. Good luck, both of them are excellent vehicles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think you'd enjoy the Acadia more than the Pilot. The Honda is nice, but pretty bland looking IMHO. Also, you're getting the last of a body style vs. a new body style with the bugs worked out on the Acadia.

I would also look at a few, I suspect you could be satisfied with an Acadia much less expensive than $45k. Mine was a little over $36k with leather, Bose, eight passenger seating (midsize CUV?), heads up display, 19" wheels, DVD with surround sound, etc.

Good luck in your selection, I think you'd like the Acadia. :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think depreciation is important over the next 36 months, 59% on the Acadia and 40-45% on the Pilot.

If you decide to keep the vehicle past 48 months, then base your decision on non-financial logic such as looks and features of each vehicle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As much as I personally dislike the Honda Pilot it makes sense over the Acadia for your scenerio.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SEL said:
I think depreciation is important over the next 36 months, 59% on the Acadia and 40-45% on the Pilot.

If you decide to keep the vehicle past 48 months, then base your decision on non-financial logic such as looks and features of each vehicle.
Depreciation -- i.e. residual values can be misleading.

Remember that depreciation numbers are based off of MSRP.

So if cars generally sell at a disount to MSRP (like domestics often do), they
will appear to depreciate more significantly.

What you should really compare is the reduction in value based upon the price that
is expected to pay..... i.e -- How much value is lost between what I pay and
what I can sell it for.

m

·
Registered
207 Posts
What I would do is also look at the maintenance costs. Then do a lookup on the internet for problems people are having with past models and current ones too. If I'm not mistaken, the earlier Pilots/Odyssey/Accords (2000-2004) had MAJOR automatic transmission issues requiring an expensive replacement, often after the warranty. Some even had the wheels lock up on them on the freeway. So, despite what people may say, the Honda Pilot isn't all that bullet proof. I would definitely go to some forums to research it first.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I was lucky and one of my coworkers had a Honda Pilot so I only considered it for a few hours.
My problem with the pilot was

1) Price. I got our Acadia (MRSP just over $38K) for just over $31K and at that time Honda was not dealing like you say they are now.
2) Size. I really need to haul 8 people (extended family) and all but 2 are adults. The rear seat on the Pilot was just too small.
3) Looks. I really liked the looks of the Acadia over the Pilot.
4) Dealer. I have been using my dealer for 16 years now and have a wonderful relationship built with sales and service.

If I was in your shoes, and when you drive the Pilot you are happy with its functionality and looks, I cannot imagine you would regret buying it.

If it's all about cost, then your best bet is to continue driving the Tahoe. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
284 Posts
All that everyone has said is true. The Honda may be likely to hold more value down the line, but right now is an old design, rather bland, not as refined, doesn't have the same space or features, etc. The GMC is a much more impressive package, and if you've seen the '09 Pilot, there's nothing much new in theory, even though it's "all new". Still a Honda, still the same size, no great new features, etc.

The thing that bugs me about what you said, though...is that the Acadia is NOT mid-sized. The Pilot is very close to that, but an Acadia is actually larger than your Tahoe and has a LOT more space and comfort inside. A huge second row, a third row real people can actually use and that doesn't have to be lugged out, and then space behind that third row--all things the midget (in length) Tahoe can't say.

I respect the Pilot and think it's still a fantastic vehicle, but very much more for people who don't care about emotion, style, refinement, or features in their vehicle...and really want something that's more bare. It's built well and has a great reputation, but the Acadia should soon have similar accolades with more time on the market, and is just a much more impressive package overall.

Also, another reason why you're not seeing astounding resale value on your Tahoe is because it's a full-size, V8, etc. SUV--not something very many people want today, for various reasons. AND, to remember, for essentially every year the GM big SUV's have been out, cash thrown all over the hood when new is common...like the $10k discount that was an everyday thing, on ours. We traded our '04 Suburban (my mother is on a similar 3-4 year max, then something new, plan) for a new '08 Malibu, and as perfect as it was with 56k on it...even in 3 different states the real-world trade value was about $4-5k below what any out of touch online valuator says. Both the Acadia and Pilot fair better in this regard because they're large but more efficient, etc., but anytime you buy a truck or large SUV in the future, this is going to be common.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
caddycruiser - I totally agree with what you said about size. When I mentioned that size was a factor for me, I should have mentioned that it was large SUV (Acadia) vs mid-size SUV (Pilot). If you consider that the mpg is similar, then the Acadia is impressive. I actually looked at the Ford Expedition as well, but the Acadia was a bit bigger inside that that one too. In addition, the Expedition's mpg was much worse. So I needed big, and the Acadia was it. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
GAR said:
caddycruiser - I totally agree with what you said about size. When I mentioned that size was a factor for me, I should have mentioned that it was large SUV (Acadia) vs mid-size SUV (Pilot). If you consider that the mpg is similar, then the Acadia is impressive. I actually looked at the Ford Expedition as well, but the Acadia was a bit bigger inside that that one too. In addition, the Expedition's mpg was much worse. So I needed big, and the Acadia was it. :)
Yes. We had a Suburban for 3.5 years, almost bought a Lambda, and even without...I see them everyday. Best size comparison is when I see one parked next to a new Tahoe or Yukon and wish I could take a picture...to always reply to the people who continue to think that they're smaller or in a different class than the truck-based ute's. They aren't, at all. If anything, the Tahoe/Yukon are the shortest--and popular for that--and also worst SUV's in terms of people & cargo space and seating flexibility. Great trucks, but no space beyond the middle row and no fold flat, etc.

The Lambda's, as other crossovers have shown, are just winning packages for people who still actually do need or want a lot of people and cargo space that's easy to convert, but really have no need for a heavier body on frame, V8, higher towing capacity, etc.

Specific to this discussion, there's no denying the Pilot has had a fantastic reputation of quality and general driving dynamics, but was never a standout in looks, space, etc. Now with the '09 about to come out, it's really not done anything new of significance. It will still sell to current Pilot owners and other Honda fanatics for good reason, but there's really nothing that stands out. The Lambda's look infinitely better, have more space (and are also heavier for it, good or bad), are more refined, have more features, etc. Many people here have owned, or still own, both and can speak of the merits of each, but the Lambda's clearly just standout.

Pilot = Lower price with deals, smaller people and cargo space, not as refined on the road, not nearly as many features, but a proven Honda track record. Basically, all generally good, but a tighter fit and nothing that stands out.
Lambda = Wide price and model assortment, people and cargo space galore and better than even some of the largest SUV's, top tier luxury car refinement, great styling and materials, loaded with features, obviously high quality level, and still fresh to the market...but rocketing off more every day.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The 2009 Honda Pilot, what a boring SUV!
How could Honda take a vehicle that has looked
the same for the last 5 years, and change it so little, it doesn't look different!
The main thing steering me away from the pilot is that I'm so bored of
looking at them!
Plus I own a honda now, and I wont buy another.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you order an 09 Acadia ... DI V6 like the Caddy, more fuel efficent and more powerful than a Honda and probably quieter. Even the 08's out do the pilot in these respects without the DI V6.

The Honda was (was is the key word) one of the top rated SUV in this market until the Acadia / Enclave / Outlook and Mazda 9 arrived. (GM & Ford / Mazda shares the same 6 speed tranny)

The Acadia is a newer design and have surpassed the aging Pilot design. Check out the Article in 2007 Car & Driver regarding the Acadia and how GM targeted the Pilot as the key player to beat when designing.

GM put a lot of engineering and manufactuing into the Acadia Body. Compare how much more solid it is to the Pilot. Take both into a high speed corner like an off ramp and try both over the same speed bumps or pot holes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Personally, I think hondas are over-rated.
I really don't see the hype.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
thetoys said:
The Honda was (was is the key word) one of the top rated SUV in this market until the Acadia / Enclave / Outlook and Mazda 9 arrived. (GM & Ford / Mazda shares the same 6 speed tranny)
The Ford Edge shares the same tranny as the Lambdas but the Mazda CX-9 does not. The CX-9 uses a six-speed transmission made by Aisin.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
The 2009 Honda Pilot, what a boring SUV!
How could Honda take a vehicle that has looked
the same for the last 5 years, and change it so little, it doesn't look different!
The main thing steering me away from the pilot is that I'm so bored of
looking at them!
Plus I own a honda now, and I wont buy another.
Curios why you would not buy another Honda. I would never buy one for various reasons of my own but am wondering why a current owner would not want another one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts