GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting, headed toward Baxter State Park near Chamberlain Lake early Tuesday morning. There were three of us hunters in my Acadia. The Coffeelos Road is a very smooth road and I was aware of the limited travel and non-4x4 ability of my Acadia. I've driven these roads over the last year and a half with it with no issues. However, on this morning, I got into an area where the road was a little depressed under my tires and a slight rise in the middle of the dirt road, with a rock sticking up at just the right angle. I was going about 20mph and whamo! I just happened to hit this corner of the rock at the right angle, it flipped up the rock and ended up being the size of a shoebox once it came out of the ground. It struck the oil pan and caused about a softball sized hole. My oil light went off immediately and I pulled off the side of the road and shut off the engine. (Seen too many Nascar races to keep the engine running.) Oil slick needed some major kittylitter cleanup! (Good thing it snowed to cover all that mess up.) That was the end of my hunting trip. We hiked out four miles to the Ranger station and called for a tow.

I got it towed out of the woods back to Millinocket to the GMC dealer, who quickly put it up to take a look at it. Thank you! (AAAPlus covered the tow, which was close to $150!) They said the engine seemed fine, as I turned it off prior to any damage being caused. They didn't have an oil pan and as it turns out, the part is on backorder and there is none in the country. Uh, hello? No one else has ever done this? Also, to replace the oil pan in these vehicles, the entire engine needs to come out! Uggg! I'm now Acadialess and it appears it may be several weeks or more until it can be fixed. I'm bummed beyond belief. It's sitting now at my local GMC dealer here in Southern Maine. I'm working with my insurance agent on getting it fixed. I have a $250 deductible, so I'm ok on that front it would seem.

1) Anyone know where I can find an oil pan?
2) Anyone know where I can buy a skidplate to fit the Acadia for future use?

I'd be more upset if I were offroading in a mud pit, hammering around a road like I used to with my Yukon. I just happened to hit the only rock possible on that road that would damage my oil pan. %$*&! I did need an oil change, just didn't want to do it this way!

Thanks,

Shawn (Cravenfan)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Craven that sucks. Sorry to hear about the backorder too. Seems to be common for acadia parts.
Parts direct lists it, may want to call to see if it is available

Dont know about the skid plate, probably hard to find that for the Acadia.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Oh, dude! We haven't heard from you in awhile and now bad news... I am so sorry that this happened. It seems like after two years they would have a few parts for repair.

Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Craven,

Good to hear from you again - but I'm sure sorry about your plight. I hope they can find a quick resolution to the part availability! A crashed Acadia (junk yard) might be a option, but a last resort.

Best of luck to you,

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Instead of a huge delay, one alternative would be to get the damage repaired by welding. While there, see what a skidplate would cost, since this would need to be custom made. I checked car-part.com and there are no listings at junkyards. Apparently we are good drivers with durable vehicles- none have been wrecked/totaled or suffered non-repairable mechanical problems.

I doubt the parts situation will let up soon with the trouble GM is having, and I suspect the pan is different than the others that use this motor.

Maybe member 3rd Timer can help you put a V8 in it. :D (See his other thread here)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why the hell is there no skid plate offering anywhere for these things? Now that I see it, it's just hanging out there waiting to be hit...uggg! :banghead:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Why the hell is there no skid plate offering anywhere for these things? Now that I see it, it's just hanging out there waiting to be hit...uggg! :banghead:
Sorry to hear about your rock problem or is it an oil pan problem. Anyways are you really surprised that you can't find a skid plate for a car with 6 or 7 inches of ground clearance. With a skid plate added you would probably loose 1-2" more ground clearance. In any case I'm sure one could be easily fabricated, if you frequent roads where it is possible too end up in this situation it may be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Cravenfan - Good to hear from you and sorry about your misfortune. It sucks!!!!

I never thought of the Acadia as a vehicle that would get a skid plate. It's a people hauler that looks like an SUV, but is not really a truck. It's really more like a minivan when it comes to drive train. I would think that skid plates would only be offered on vehicles that were intended to go off the main roads and I would not suggest taking an Acadia anywhere you would not take a normal car or Minivan. (That's just my opinion)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Cravenfan
What was the oil pan made from steel or cast aluminum? I was worried about install the quick oil drain plug and having it knocked off. If you insist on going off road I would fabricate a plate yourself. My Silverado has the cast aluminum pan but it has a skid plate that protects it except right by the drain plug and that always worries me.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Sorry about that. I had the same thing happen shortly after I got my Acadia some 18 months ago (although the damage was less severe - just a leak that allowed me to drive out rather than be towed). I was on a dirt road with some washed-out areas, but the road was not that bad.

This vehicle has no clearance for off-road use. The oil pan is not the only thing exposed. The dealer had to wait for parts, including the oil pan, to come from the factory; none were in stock at that time either. It took several weeks. Not fun or cheap. I won't take my Adadia now on anything worse than a well graded gravel road.

KJF

·
Registered
681 Posts
This brought back memories of that Motor Trend article were they show the tester getting air on a snow covered road - I think Cravenfan may have had the same look on his face when he hit that rock. ;D

Sorry for your trouble and the wait it seems you will have to endure to get a new oil pan. :eek:hno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
That is a great photo
:thumb:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm working with my local GMC dealer for skip plate options...we've ordered two kinds, I think one was for a Jeep. I'm going to check it out on Monday and see how it might work. I do understand this is not an off road vehicle. I was not treating it as such, as I stated, if I tried to go into some mud hole, I'd be more upset at myself. Just happened to hit the rock on the right spot at the right angle and have it flip up into my oil pan. The ground clearance is listed as 7.4 inches on the Acadia, 10.5 on the Yukon. I'd give up a half an inch for peace of mind of not having the oil pan hang out there like those things hanging between your legs. I realize the height difference, but I've had a Subaru on these same roads with no issues. The good news is my oil pan part is in as of late yesterday. The bad news is GM enginered this thing so the entire engine has to come out to fix it. WTF! Hope to have the baby back by Wednesday or so, with no lasting "issues" from the engine pull. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm glad they got your part in Craven- it was sounding like that might be a long delay. I'm sure a common plate can be modified to fit what you have. Make sure they make an allowance for oil changes like a trapdoor (if it is going to cover the drain plug to where you can't access it) so you don't have to pull the whole thing for an oil change. Ground clearance is a good thing most of the time- took my BMW in for an alignment this week & the airdam is too low to get it onto the machine!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Cravenfan said:
The bad news is GM enginered this thing so the entire engine has to come out to fix it.
Craven..

That's good news on the part delivery. On my S-10 Blz I have the tranny oil fluid / filter replaced every 25,000 miles. I'm only 1,000 miles away from my 8th change. Each time, the shop needs to loosen two engine mounts and lift the block to make access to the pan & filter. I'm glad I've never attemted this. They make it look easy. Hopefully the R&R will go smoothly, & you'll be toolin' down the road again next week!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, things are all better...had them form a "skid plate" for it, as there was nothing from GM to bolt on...few hours of work...they double stacked diamond plate (could have just gone with one thickness, but whatever) and it's bolted on...not that I plan on hitting another rock, but this will give me a bit more confidence in the North Woods. Here's a picture, nothing fancy, but not bad. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Very nice Cravenfan!! I'm glad you found a solution!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Does the skidplate need to be removed for oil changes?
That looks like a part I use on my BattleBots video game, it holds up to virtual beatings it should hold up to actual beatings as well, right?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, they can get around it...either remove the oil filter from the bottom, or the top, the dealer said they don't care which way they need to do it. I hope not to test it on another rock, but if I do, I hope it works out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts