GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do their own oil change, can someone please tell me what size wrench/socket I need to take the oil pan bolt out? I tried many different metric and standard sizes and none of them seem to fit.
Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Enclave is very straightforward. Are you sure you are trying to remove the correct plug? I THINK mine takes a 13mm socket, but every time I change it I figure it out again by trial and error. I KNOW I use a standard metric size on the drain plug.

Does the manual tell you? I would think it is listed somewhere.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to all who replied. I tried a 13mm and it slipped. I believe the last oil change the dealer did stripped the bolt slightly and they must have had a gorilla working on it because it is extremely tight. They also overfilled the crankcase by about 1/2 quart. So much for going to the Goodwrench to get work done!!! ???

·
Registered
116 Posts
A 13mm is the correct size - sounds like a new bolt is in order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im sure youve taken care of it already, but next time if it happens again, use a 1/2 inch socket and if its a little tight tap it on with a hammer, and you should be able to get her off, 1/2 inch being slightly smaller than 13mm.

·
Registered
487 Posts
TMMAR said:
Thank you to all who replied. I tried a 13mm and it slipped. I believe the last oil change the dealer did stripped the bolt slightly and they must have had a gorilla working on it because it is extremely tight. They also overfilled the crankcase by about 1/2 quart. So much for going to the Goodwrench to get work done!!! ???
BTW an extra 1/2 quart will not hurt anything, so I wouldn't worry about that. But I would take it to the dealer and make them change your oil and put a new drain plug in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts