GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its time for my oil change but have not done it yet.my oil life was 65% yesterday,and today its at 100% and i have not had it changed yet.whats up with that? thanks NC

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
It sounds like the system was reset; have you been fiddling with the DIC (no pun intended ;D); what I mean to say is have you been cycling through the different features and possibly reset the OLM?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it would not start this morning for some reason. parked on level ground w/a 1/2 tank of gas. but finilly cranked up after an hour of messing around with it. I was at work so my wife and her dad did it,so I guess one of them could have but she says she didn't but you know how that goes. Thanks NC

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Heynow said:
it would not start this morning for some reason. parked on level ground w/a 1/2 tank of gas. but finilly cranked up after an hour of messing around with it. I was at work so my wife and her dad did it,so I guess one of them could have but she says she didn't but you know how that goes. Thanks NC
Now it sounds like two different problems; what was the fix for the no start

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noone can tell me. it just started.me not being really sucked so i have no idea what really happend

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So as far as the no start is concerned; do you have NAV?

·
Registered
428 Posts
just so you know, when they were messing with it if they turned on the key and pumped the accelerator pedal three times it will also reset the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope no Nav, but im sure they pumped the gas pedel a couple times. thanksNC

·
Registered
540 Posts
dfrank78 said:
just so you know, when they were messing with it if they turned on the key and pumped the accelerator pedal three times it will also reset the oil life monitor.
I never heard of that before. Thats good to know.

Bobby

·
Registered
428 Posts
DeForger said:
dfrank78 said:

Bobby
Yeah thats how you reset the oil life monitor on the GM trucks when the oil life monitor first came out and also on the vehicles now without the DIC buttons but it works even if you have the DIC buttons

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
dfrank78 said:

Bobby
This was the same procedure for our Envoy except it was 5 times

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heynow said:
I am curious if you had the same problem as I did last month (which is unrelated to the oil life). When you say it wouldn't start, do you mean it would not even try to turn over? Did the DIC say low fuel and was the engine light flashing? After it started, did the transmission shift out of low gears?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, engine turned over but would not catch,like it was not getting gas.no lights or warnings were up. its been 1 day and I have had no more problems.starts perfectly.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Heynow said:
no, engine turned over but would not catch,like it was not getting gas.no lights or warnings were up. its been 1 day and I have had no more problems.starts perfectly.
I honestly think sometimes these Acadia's get "confused" with all the electronics and then that translates into a no start. I have heard of this incident before and then everything is fine. It's weird and a little unnerving to say the least. Hopefully nothing else will happen

·
Super Moderator
21,763 Posts
Heynow said:
When I start my Acadia, I turn the key to "Run" and wait for the fuel pump to stop making noise and the fuel pressure to build up before I turn the key to "Start." That seems to get an instant start of the engine in cold or warm weather. It's also a good check on the fuel pump and pressure regulator!

BTW, I changed oil the first three times at 5,000 mile intervals. The manual states that in "normal" driving you can wait until the "change oil" light comes on before an oil change is necessary. I'm trying that now. The DIC will show ~10% on the oil life function, which seems to occur a bit over 7,500 miles the way I drive. That's really not too bad an interval with the types of oil filters made these days.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Heynow said:
When I start my Acadia, I turn the key to "Run" and wait for the fuel pump to stop making noise and the fuel pressure to build up before I turn the key to "Start." That seems to get an instant start of the engine in cold or warm weather. It's also a good check on the fuel pump and pressure regulator!

BTW, I changed oil the first three times at 5,000 mile intervals. The manual states that in "normal" driving you can wait until the "change oil" light comes on before an oil change is necessary. I'm trying that now. The DIC will show ~10% on the oil life function, which seems to occur a bit over 7,500 miles the way I drive. That's really not too bad an interval with the types of oil filters made these days.
Does the OLM take into account the type of oil filter or am I reading into that last sentence. My understanding is the OLM takes into account driving conditions etc to determine the next change

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
Does the OLM take into account the type of oil filter...
No.  The OLM does not measure anything in the oil, does not know what type of oil is in the vehicle, or what type of oil filter is being used.  It is a program that strictly measures engine coolant and oil temperatures, throttle position, engine rpm, etc. to determine a degradation rate for the oil.  The program knows that stop and go driving is more stressful on an engine than highway driving and will use all those parameters to determine how fast the additives in the oil are being depleted to supposedly let you know when it is time to change.  I still change mine before the OLM tells me to though.  Old habits die hard I guess.  ;)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
jsimms said:
Does the OLM take into account the type of oil filter...
No. The OLM does not measure anything in the oil, does not know what type of oil is in the vehicle, or what type of oil filter is being used. It is a program that strictly measures engine coolant and oil temperatures, throttle position, engine rpm, etc. to determine a degradation rate for the oil. The program knows that stop and go driving is more stressful on an engine than highway driving and will use all those parameters to determine how fast the additives in the oil are being depleted to supposedly let you know when it is time to change. I still change mine before the OLM tells me to though. Old habits die hard I guess. ;)
On average; when would you change the oil in relation to the reading from the OLM; I realize driving conditions can change between oil changes; just looking for a rough estimate. My Acadia is at 66% plus or minus with two months of ownership and up to this point it's been city driving

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I've been changing the oil in my Silverado about every 5,000 miles and the OLM says I have about 40% life left. I've been running to about 7,500 in the Acadia with Amsoil with the OLM at around 30%. I know the Amsoil can go longer (by used oil analyses), but I'm still trying to condition myself to these longer drain intervals. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I've been changing the oil in my Silverado about every 5,000 miles and the OLM says I have about 40% life left. I've been running to about 7,500 in the Acadia with Amsoil with the OLM at around 30%. I know the Amsoil can go longer (by used oil analyses), but I'm still trying to condition myself to these longer drain intervals. ;)
Yeah I get it; it makes you "nervous" (for lack of a better word) to let the oil go that long. I will see what oil analysis says about mine when I change it and then go from there, but I feel the same way; old habits are hard to break ;D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts