GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At under 1000 total miles there is a small oil leak I have wiped up multiple times on my garage floor. I don't think there is anything I hate more on a car than an oil leak. I need to now take this POS into the dealer so they can look at it. 35k with a custom oil leak. My $10,000 Nissan Fronteir doesn't and never has had an oil leak. I guess I am the fool for spending 35k on an American car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Kinda harsh assessment for an oil leak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An oil leak at under 1000 miles is a bad bad sign in my opinion. Really, I would rather the stereo broke, or the windows stopped working, or the door wouldnt open, etc. Pretty much the only thing worse in my eyes is the motor blowing up, or the tranny breaking. I now know I am going to have to deal with a friggin Exxon Valdeez in my garage for the next 10 years, wiping up oil every **** day and worrying about dogs, and kids walking in it and tracking it into the house. I know how these things go, I am going to take it in and the dealer mechanic will either not find anything at all, or they will say they fixed it and they will half *** it with some silicon or something and the oil leak will just keep coming back until its out of warranty and it gets worse and worse. I HATE OIL LEAKS!

·
Registered
1 Posts
<< oil leak at under 1000 miles is a bad bad sign in my opinion. Really, I would rather the stereo broke, or the windows stopped working, or the door wouldnt open, etc. Pretty much the only thing worse in my eyes is the motor blowing up, or the tranny breaking. I now know I am going to have to deal with a friggin Exxon Valdeez in my garage for the next 10 years, wiping up oil every **** day and worrying about dogs, and kids walking in it and tracking it into the house. I know how these things go, I am going to take it in and the dealer mechanic will either not find anything at all, or they will say they fixed it and they will half *** it with some silicon or something and the oil leak will just keep coming back until its out of warranty and it gets worse and worse. I HATE OIL LEAKS!>>

I'm not a fan of oil leaks either (really, who is), but you should give the dealer at least a chance to be upstanding before you assume he won't be helpful. I've owned many, many vehicles of different brands and price points over the years and have found out: 1) there are no "perfect" cars, regardless of brand or price; 2) good and bad dealership service departments exist regardless of brand; 3) there ARE good dealership service departments out there, though you may have to try more than one to find it; 4) going in with a non-confrontational attitude (instead of a chip on your shoulder) works best, at least for the first trip in for a particular problem.

Please take a deep breath, think happy thoughts, and take it back to the dealer NOW! The longer you wait, the more it will "stick in your craw". If you take it in and it gets taken care of promptly, you will soon forget the indignity of having to wipe up after your new car ;D Good luck and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I agree with kstroop. Get it back to the dealer and see how it is handled. Remember, when it is fixed, you have 4+ years and 100k miles knowing if it comes back again it will be fixed again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as the oil in your garage and dogs/kids, etc., you can easily put cardboard under your car, newspaper, cat litter, wood chips to help absorb it BUT to solve the actual problem it really needs to go to the dealer.

I would be pretty peeved too. I do think we all took a risk buying a first-year car, however, this is why new cars have warranties- because it's not normal and they will cover it. I wouldn't generalize one problem with one Acadia reflecting on ALL American cars though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
gnarboots11....there is a known issue with oil leaks....GM had to go to a second supplier of engine blocks due to demand,,,,,all engine are being checked for leaks.....go back to your dealer mention engine block poristy....your engine will be replaced ......everyone else don't worry...this is a fantastic engine...and if a leak doesn't show immediately....like in this case ...it won't show at all.......

·
Registered
524 Posts
InTheLoop said:
gnarboots11....there is a known issue with oil leaks....GM had to go to a second supplier of engine blocks due to demand,,,,,all engine are being checked for leaks.....go back to your dealer mention engine block poristy....your engine will be replaced ......everyone else don't worry...this is a fantastic engine...and if a leak doesn't show immediately....like in this case ...it won't show at all.......

If they discover that his oil filter is not tight enough can he keep his motor. I mean he hasn't even had a tech look at it yet and you are saying he needs a new engine.

Take the advice of others here and take you car into the dealer and have them diagnose the problem. Until then I wouldn't assume that your Acadia is a POS, or that it needs a new engine. It could be as simple as a loose drain plug. Or a bad oil filter gasket. At any rate ALL things break and in an imperfect world someone always gets a cookie that is burnt on the bottom. That doesn't make all the cookies crap, or the baker a bad cook. Stuff happens, and it may have just been your turn to get the burnt cookie. Fortunately for you you purchased a great vehicle from a company that will honor their warranty and do just about anything to make it right for you. The inconvenience is a bummer, as it has been for many of US that have had to take our new cars back to the dealer to get some of the wrinkles ironed out. I personally have been back three times for one issue. Sure it's frustrating, but thats life. At least you got a guarantee on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My user name should be self explanitory.....you have vaild points.......100 % checks is all that can be done....the leak won't show until the engine is pressurized....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
An oil leak at under 1000 miles is a bad bad sign in my opinion. Really, I would rather the stereo broke, or the windows stopped working, or the door wouldnt open, etc. Pretty much the only thing worse in my eyes is the motor blowing up, or the tranny breaking. I now know I am going to have to deal with a friggin Exxon Valdeez in my garage for the next 10 years, wiping up oil every **** day and worrying about dogs, and kids walking in it and tracking it into the house. I know how these things go, I am going to take it in and the dealer mechanic will either not find anything at all, or they will say they fixed it and they will half *** it with some silicon or something and the oil leak will just keep coming back until its out of warranty and it gets worse and worse. I HATE OIL LEAKS!
Wow, it went from a "small oil leak" to the "friggin Exxon Valdez" in less than 2 hours! ::) Haven't even had it to the dealer and already you're talking like Eeyore?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, was just a little angered yesterday. Maybe it was the hangover of Memorial Day Weekend and being back at work. Anyways, took the car to the dealer this morning, we will see how it goes and I will let you know. I really hope it's nothing big, cause I really like the car alot, I just dont want a lemon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think if it was a Honda or a Toyota we would have more patience or should I say confidence/trust.

Give the dealer/GM a chance to find and fix. The only way to build confidence is one customer at a time. I think GM has gotten that message and the clock is ticking up if not then the clock is still ticking down and you have a abomb on your hands......run.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. So it turns out the power steering pump is a factory defect and it was actually leaking power steering fluid, not oil. They ordered a new one and it will be in in about 2.5 weeks. For now we are able to keep driving it. So I guess it's not that bad, we will see though, this is just the first thing, and I don't know if this will actually solve the problem for good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think it's a "known" defect. I had the same thing happen in my former Jeep Grand Cherokee.

All I can say is, thank goodness for warranties!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know if it's a known defect or what. We need one of those GM inside guys to tell us if they have heard anything. As far as I know it is a unique case for myself only, because I havent heard anything about a power steering pump from anybody else.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I love a happy ending. Now go hug your car and say your sorry for calling it names! ;D

·
Registered
752 Posts
And by the way - welcome to InTheLoop[/color] :notworthy: I love having people on this forum who are "in the loop".
By the way "InTheLoop", drift over to my last post on installing flowmaster and magnaflows and see if you or any of your buddies can answer my last question on "can the car self adjust to a difference in backpressure."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts