GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here's the story. Took my 2008 Acadia into the dealer to get the first oil change. Brought the vehicle home and parked it in the driveway. This morning we noticed that there was a huge black circle of oil, fairly thick on the driveway just back from the right front headlight. We took the vehicle back to the dealer thinking that they forgot to tighten the filter or plug, but they said they did. So where is all the oil coming from? You won't believe this...

The dealer says that the Acadia design is poor and that you can't change the oil without spilling a bunch on the frame. So, they try to clean it off with brake cleaner but can't get it all and it will continue to drip till it dries up. Nothing they can do, it will happen every time they change the oil.

Tell me it ain't so.... anyone else hearing this? Solutions (other than a litter box for the Acadia)

·
Registered
659 Posts
It ain't so in my opinion, and I have changed my own oil. Yes the oil does contact a frame rail on the way out but that takes about 5 seconds to completely clean off when you are done. What is more likely is that they spilled oil down the side of the engine in the process of refilling the oil and it is taking some time to work its way down. I have not had a single drop of oil hit my garage floor as the followup to either of two oil changes.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I agree with Gerry. It's not the best design I've ever come across as far as changing the oil, but it's not the worst either. Just taking a little time I haven't had any issues with residual oil dripping off the vehicle after an oil change.

·
Registered
635 Posts
This happened on my Outlook on the first oil change. It was one of the first the Saturn dealer had done on these. The second oil change there was not any spillage. It sounds to me that your dealer was in too big of a hurry and did not pay attentionto what they were doing. They probably just let the filter tip too much and most of the oil came out. I would just give them a friendly reminder before the next change and tell them to be careful.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with ^^^^. I've changed mine several times now and the little that spills over the frame from drain plug is easily cleaned off with a rag. I do make a little more of a mess removing the oil filter...it runs down the front of the engine a little, but again, easily wiped off. Never more than a drop or two on the garage floor tops, the next day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts