GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Acadia that has just developed a leak at the timing chain cover. The dealer had the car for over a week and had to pull the engine and transmission to get at the cover and replace the gasket. Now two days later the leak has returned. Has anyone elese had an oil leak that appears to be at the engine oil drain plug, but is really from up higher on the engine. I am worried that getting everything back together correctly is not an easy job and we will be having other problems ( besides the reoccuring oil leak from the timing chain cover).

We like the Acadia and have about 32000 miles on it. We have already had to replace the water pump at about 28000 miles.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 2008 Acadia and ours started leaking from the timing cover about 6 months aver we bought it. Our dealer had it for about a week and a half to fix the problem along with other items. The leak has not returned so sorry to hear your missfortune of the leak returning.

I did have problems with the dealer not putting the car back together correctly or breaking other parts to fix the oil leak. Everything is fixed now and everything seems to be fine. I did notice that the A/C, when the car is at a stop but in gear has a large vibration. It seemed to start occuring after the oil leak was fixed but could just be a coincidence.

I'm due for another trip to the dealer to have little problems addressed so I will have the A/C issue addressed then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I was just under the Acadia and cleaned up the oil to see if I could tell where it was coming from. It certaily looks like oil, but could it be power steering fluid. I have heard that they can develop leaks. When the power steering leaks where does it show up under the car.

My leak seems to run down from above and ends up dripping from the drain plug. I am sure it is not the drain plug leaking so I wonder what else it could be? I checked as best as I could and I did not see any further oil coming from the timing chain cover.

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
Fluid color can be a key indicator of what component might be leaking.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
... Now two days later the leak has returned.
If your complaint when initially serviced by the dealer was an oil leak, take it back since it has not been repaired. Play hardball if needed.

When I was working, we had a government car (F**d) that needed a short block. I took it in & paid for the repair (out of warranty). The day I picked it up (Friday), I took it home & noticed a nice puddle of oil under it the following day. I took it back Monday & the dealer wanted $500 to fix it. I had to get it back in service, so I paid under protest, and then found the source of the leak was listed on the repair order as an oil filter adapter. The following day, I questioned the tech via the service manager and he admitted he over torqued it and cracked it when the short block was installed. The dealer saw the government as a deep pocket and tried to soak us for their mistake. We got our money refunded, and due to this and other shoddy repair work (tech left engine mount bolts out), we never went back and used the Lincoln-Mercury dealer for repair work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
anyone else have this problem...crawled up under mine today to change the oil....and I see the same problem as in this post...I have an appointment for 2:30 tomorrow!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, they admit it has a leak.....but they can't find it. They put some dye in the oil that will show up in black light. Cleaned off the excess oil and I will go back on Tuesday to see if they can locate it with the black light :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
s2acadia said:
anyone else have this problem...crawled up under mine today to change the oil....and I see the same problem as in this post...I have an appointment for 2:30 tomorrow!
Can you take a photo of the location it is leaking at.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When my timing chain cover was leaking I noticed oil all around the oil drain plug. At first I thought maybe I was careless on the previous oil change but later found out when I brought it in that it was the timing chain cover. Mine was a very small leak with very little oil but you could tell it was leaking. My dealership couldn't find the oil leak the 1st time I brought it in but on the second trip they did. I don't believe they used a dye, I think I just got a more competent mechanic on the second trip. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
21,964 Posts
Swarren7 said:
When my timing chain cover was leaking I noticed oil all around the oil drain plug. ... Mine was a very small leak with very little oil but you could tell it was leaking. My dealership couldn't find the oil leak the 1st time I brought it in but on the second trip they did. I don't believe they used a dye, I think I just got a more competent mechanic on the second trip. Good luck.
They may have cleaned the area and run the engine for a short period of time, found nothing of a serious nature, and gave it back to you to drive for a bit so the leak could show up over a longer time frame. Did they explain this to you when you got the vehicle back the first time?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm chasing an oil leak on my FWD 4 cyl. Dodge Daytona- it can really be aggravating. So far I've eliminated the valve cover & transaxle (it uses engine oil). I'm thinking of using the dye method also- I had to do this on my BMW wagon to find an AC leak- it was easy to fix at that point.

Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
156 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Can you take a photo of the location it is leaking at.
Not really. you have to crawl under the vehicle on the passenger side. take a peak behind some splash guard and you can see the serpentine belt system.....which you can't really see from under the hood. you will see the bottom pulley that is the drive pulley off the crank shaft. Then of course you can see 4 or 5 other pulleys. There is no puddle of oil. There is a layer of oil on the block behind the very bottom pully (the one off the crank shaft) all the way up to the same height as the alternator pulley. So a thin coat of oil all over the "bottom half of the face of the engine." No one spot looks more concentrated than others. So it is very hard to see a leak, I can't see it just like they can't see it. It leaks very very little or it is a very new leak because the oil level indicates that it is less than 1/8 of a qt missing. It has not dripped on the driveway yet. However, how i noticed this was when I went to change the oil, the oil plug was wet and the whole bottom of the oil pan was wet, and I had not even opened the plug. It is like it was leaking somewhere around the pulleys and pooling on the bottom of the oil pan.

Swarren7:
What ended up being the problem with yours? It might point me in the right direction. Guess I don't know completely how the oil system works right there. The crank shaft comes through the block and then there is a timing chain gear, then a sealed cover over the gear, and then the crank shaft comes through the cover and a pulley is attached to drive the serpentine belt? If that is how it works, then what is the timing chain lubricated with? Packed with its own grease? motor oil flows through the timing chain area? I think the leak is right there and the spinning of the shaft throws the oil in all areas so that you can't pinpoint the location. Was yours leaking on the front main seal (the seal around the bearing where the crank shaft comes through the block)? Or is there some sort of lubrication on the timing chain that was leaking out of the timing chain area?

Anyone know how it all works right in there?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well got a call from the dealer, the acadia has a oil leak around the timing chain cover....requires the engine to come out of the bottom to put a new seal on the cover :mad: I hope they know what they are doing as this is a major job!

·
Registered
23 Posts
We just got ours back late this afternoon for the same thing. It was in the shop over a week. I looked it over pretty carefully and drove it some and things appear to be ok *fingers crossed*.
It's sad that the engine and tranny must come out to repair a timing chain cover leak. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm wondering how many people have this problem. Here is 3 right here. I would have never found the problem if I did not change my own oil. No oil sits behind the cover when the engine is off, therefore it doesn't leak unless its running. So mine never dripped even one drop on the driveway. I would recommend everyone take a look from under the car near the passenger wheel well and find the serpentine belt that goes around all the pulleys, if the block behind the pulleys is wet, you have the leak. Three people in the last few months on this board with the problems means that is a pretty good number for such a small sample.

·
Registered
23 Posts
s2acadia, you said it perfectly. The leak is only present when the engine is running. I change my own oil as well and I discovered the leak but a good dealership will notify the customer of the leak if they were to see it when they service it. My dealership says it is common and they have done several. They told me the Cadillacs do it too but never thought to ask what kind of Cadillac. They said the Acadias have had some problems but no more than any other vehicle. I said I have owned at least 20 new ones and this one is the first time I have ever had to have the engine pulled lol...oh well.. ::)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well I went by the dealership yesterday to get a car seat out of the Acadia. Under the hood was empty, and this baby was sitting beside it.....I bet it belongs to me. :thumb: Lets just hope they can put it back together right!

(I'm probably the first to post pictures of an Acadia engine torn down this far...so i expect some ooos and aaaaahs) ;D

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm really surprised i got zero comments on the engine pics....I figured some of you would appreciate seeing the engine out and valve covers off! Maybe I'll post them in the photos thread.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
s2acadia said:
I'm really surprised i got zero comments on the engine pics....I figured some of you would appreciate seeing the engine out and valve covers off! Maybe I'll post them in the photos thread.
Don't take it personal, weekends are more difficult for some members to search or keep up to date with the topics because of busy family plans and events. Weekdays are easier for people to check in while at work it seems.
Nice photos, are you able to circle and repost where the leak was coming from. I see the timing chain but were was it leaking?

·
Registered
156 Posts
For those who don't know...i labeled a few parts.
Green = Timing chain cover, still needs to be taken off to replace the seal that is leaking.
Red = Where the leak was on the seal
Yellow = Water pump cover, so the water pump could be change without taking the engine out.
Pink Arrow = The pulley that is connected to the crank shaft
Blue = The four sensors that detect the common cam shaft issue, note one on each cam.
Orange = Where the spark plugs go, in the center of each valve cover when the cover is on.
Brown = The four cam shafts.
Purple = Where the air intake and manifold go
Purple Arrow = Air intake and manifold sitting on tool box
The area between the camshafts and the timing chain cover that looks like gears(sporkets) and a chain...that is the timing chain that I think WebRaven had replaced!

I also leaned the timing chain cover does not have a large gasket, they use some sort of caulk like stuff to seal the cover on. So the worker at the factory may have got it a little thin in that place or maybe an air bubble....who knows!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts