AC DELCO PART# PF48

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fram PH10060

·
Registered
484 Posts
The Chevy/GMC dealer here in Eastern NC has the PF48 for $5.60 each or if you by a case which is 12 of them it would be $61.08 or $5.09 each plus tax of course. Not a bad price. Especially if you change your oil often. The other option would be to get a Wix 57060, or NAPA or Car Quest house brand, (which are wix made for them). Might be easier to get for some that do not live close to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Rat was is the best type of oil filter out there? I understand this is personal opinion really, but what has been a good filter for synthetics?

·
Registered
484 Posts
bonk1313 said:
Rat was is the best type of oil filter out there? I understand this is personal opinion really, but what has been a good filter for synthetics?
From all my oil analysis's that I have had done and the independent lab that I use the AMSOIL EaO oil filters are about the best out. So good that he told me to keep it on and just change out the oil. He states that the EaO filters are good for 15k miles no problem. Now anyone that has changed the oil filters on our Acadia's know what a pain it is with the oil mess, not having to change it out is a plus, especially if you have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan. I have 10k on the oil filter and it still is doing it's job, my insolubles are still as low as if it was a new filter, which means it is doing it's job very well even with all the miles on it.

Granted the EaO filters are not cheap but if you are not having to change it every oil change then the cost is minimal. If you don't run an EaO the next one to use from what the analysis lab has told me would be a wix.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For everyone using Mobil 1 oil the Mobil 1 filter is M1-113. They are designed to last the full 10k miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
For years, Sears has been using Puralator oil filter with my 10,000 mile Mobil 1 full synthetic oil changes. I have no complaints. Put on 150,000+ miles on our vehicles and still gets the same mpg when bought new. For your information. The most I will be down is a qtr of quart every 10-12K. I check the dip stick every 5000.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Rat407 said:
bonk1313 said:
From all my oil analysis's that I have had done and the independent lab that I use the AMSOIL EaO oil filters are about the best out. So good that he told me to keep it on and just change out the oil. He states that the EaO filters are good for 15k miles no problem. Now anyone that has changed the oil filters on our Acadia's know what a pain it is with the oil mess, not having to change it out is a plus, especially if you have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan. I have 10k on the oil filter and it still is doing it's job, my insolubles are still as low as if it was a new filter, which means it is doing it's job very well even with all the miles on it.

Granted the EaO filters are not cheap but if you are not having to change it every oil change then the cost is minimal. If you don't run an EaO the next one to use from what the analysis lab has told me would be a wix.
Rat,
Thank you for not shoving your AMSOIL down our throats, you are the first person that hasn't put a bitter taste in my mouth about the product. By actually recommending other products you may have convinced me to at least try a filter, probably won't switch to the oil, because I'm comfortable with Mobil 1 making it 10,000 miles and it is dirt cheap an Wal-Mart. Thanks again for an unbiased opinion when most amsoil people are just the opposite.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any name brand, with a good pressure rating and anti-drain valve and by-pass valve should be good.
IMO
This is info on the GM filter:

AC-Delco PF48 Oil Filter
An engine run with dirty oil wont last. Keep it clean with ACDelco Oil Filters that offer high-flow efficiency, the latest filtration technology and durability.

ACDelco Oil Filters filters are engineered with the best filtering element and technology to trap particles as small as one-third the width of a human hair. An ACDelco Oil Filter helps protect your engine in many ways:

- Excellent filter capacity, enhanced efficiency, consistent flow management and high durability make these oil filters among the best youll find
- Tight seals prevent unfiltered oil from entering your engine
- Consistent, dependable oil filtration throughout the filter
- Antidrain back valves retain oil in the filter for quicker engine lubrication during start-up
- By-pass valves help keep the engine from becoming oil-starved during cold weather starts or if total filter blockage exists

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would prefer Mobil 1 oil filter made by Champion Labs b/c has a synthetic filtering media which filters 98.2 %, but is costly. My choice has been Purolator PureOne as have used. Check and see if your filter meets J1858 spec for filtering efficiency. There are a lot of good filters out there, though. MO

Modified: "Would prefer" "My choice"

·
Registered
294 Posts
With synthetic oil & extended change intervals, I've always used the Mobil 1 filter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
teetertotter said:
For years, Sears has been using Puralator oil filter with my 10,000 mile Mobil 1 full synthetic oil changes. I have no complaints. Put on 150,000+ miles on our vehicles and still gets the same mpg when bought new. For your information. The most I will be down is a qtr of quart every 10-12K. I check the dip stick every 5000.
teetertotter, it would be very interesting to see how well your oil holds up at 10k mile oil changes, especially in the Acadia. Any chance that you could send a sample off so we can compare ours with yours? Send it to a lab of your choice of course. Considering mine is shot at 6k and the lab recommends no longer than 4k until we can figure out what is up. It would be interesting to see how yours turns out. If it is doing well then that would be great news for others, especially since you run a Purolator oil filter which is not that expensive and easy to get.

·
Registered
484 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Rat407 said:
bonk1313 said:

Rat,
Thank you for not shoving your AMSOIL down our throats, you are the first person that hasn't put a bitter taste in my mouth about the product. By actually recommending other products you may have convinced me to at least try a filter, probably won't switch to the oil, because I'm comfortable with Mobil 1 making it 10,000 miles and it is dirt cheap an Wal-Mart. Thanks again for an unbiased opinion when most amsoil people are just the opposite.

You are welcome. :)

Yes it really makes me :angryfire: that other AMSOIL users and such push it so hard. I feel that it is a quality product and if one wants to use it great but there is no need to push it off like others do.

It looks like Teetertoter is getting great results with Purolator so that would be another choice to consider as well.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Rat407 said:
teetertotter said:
teetertotter, it would be very interesting to see how well your oil holds up at 10k mile oil changes, especially in the Acadia. Any chance that you could send a sample off so we can compare ours with yours? Send it to a lab of your choice of course. Considering mine is shot at 6k and the lab recommends no longer than 4k until we can figure out what is up. It would be interesting to see how yours turns out. If it is doing well then that would be great news for others, especially since you run a Purolator oil filter which is not that expensive and easy to get.
I had my first oil changed at 2000, then at 10,000 w Mobil 1 full synthetic, and then at 20,000. Our Acadia gas mileage has been the same since bought new, 18-19 city via wife and 22-23mpg highway. It will be another 5000 miles or so, or 5 months, before my next oil change at Sears. I will think about having it analyzed at that time. We are not driving as much as we did our first year of having the new vehicle. I think there are only 2 labs that I would send my oil to for analyses, which I would trust, in doing some reading. If I decide to send off and go through the trouble, I will let all know.
Jon

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
teetertotter said:
I think there are only 2 labs that I would send my oil to for analyses, which I would trust, in doing some reading.Jon
Do tell, which two?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
teeter,

10,000/ oil change, you have to get that analyzed and share the results!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Forgot to mention that NOT all oil filters are designed to funtion 100% in a horizontal mounting position. There is so much data on the internet, it is unbelievable.............................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts