GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut open brand new AC/Delco, SuperTech and NAPA Gold (Wix) filters for the Acadaia. Here are some pictures.
After viewing these, I chose to puchase a case of 12 NAPA Gold filters. I got them for $39 shipped to my house so this made them cheaper than AC/Delco and just a few cents more each than the SuperTech. The SuperTech wasn't bad looking, but the supplier has been known to change so you aren't sure what's inside of them. Some people have cut them open and they look just like a Wix inside.

Close-up of SuperTech filter pleats

Close-up of NAPA Gold pleats

·
Registered
134 Posts
Interesting pictures, but I'm not sure what is significant?

What features are you looking at to determine that one filter is better than another? They all look pretty similar to me, but I'm no expert.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I have a neighbor who drives a messenger van - he changes oil every 3K religiously and used WalMart oil and filter. Last van had 400K miles when he gave it away and it was still running.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
xcskier said:

What features are you looking at to determine that one filter is better than another? They all look pretty similar to me, but I'm no expert.

Thanks.
Filter pleats, how the end caps are fastened to the paper and all the parts inside the filter

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Doesn't Mobil 1 filters have the best review ratings?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the Mobil 1 filters, and are you sure thats a napa gold not a proselect? I thought the golds had a black case? I could be wrong..

·
Registered
484 Posts
From the oil analysis side of the house. The K&N oil filter is a good quality filter and so is the Mobil 1. They are also what you want for extended drains. The Mobil 1 tends to load up faster than the K&N and so it can't go as long if you are extending your drain intervals. You can tell if the filter is doing it's job by the amount of insolubles detected in the oil analysis. As for your regular 3k to 5k oil changes the AC and ST work just fine. My concern is that this 3.6L engine has a very unique oil system to it, at least that is my understanding. For AMSOIL to pull their oil filter and only on this particular application then something about this oil system is different and so not all oil filters would be the same. The system could be over pressurizing the filter and making it run in bypass. That isn't good and you just keep circulating dirty oil and not know it, but it will show up on an analysis. I'm running an AC right now and going extended intervals with it per Terry's recommendation. So we will see how things turn out in another couple months when I get the mileage up on the oil that is in there now with this AC filter.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tmundal said:
I like the Mobil 1 filters, and are you sure thats a napa gold not a proselect? I thought the golds had a black case? I could be wrong..
The box was an NAPA Gold. The black paint scheme is on the recently manufactured ones. The one I got locally was the one pictured (and matched the ones I got mail order) so the black paint isn't all that is stocked yet.

xcskier said:
Pleats, drainback design, overall quality. It was just something fun to do at the time. The box tops with numbers are the number of pleats on each filter. As you can see, they aren't the same. If you were to add up the difference in surface area that may be a decision factor as well.

Rat407 said:
mileage up on the oil that is in there now with this AC filter.
Since I now have an excess of filters, I thought of changing just the filter half-way through the interval. I just want to get a now wear showing UOA before going a long time on the oil. I know some people who do this on extended drains.

Overall, I don't think I have anything bad to say about either 3 of these filters. I just got a good deal on the NAPA Gold. There are other choices, some are easier to get than others. Almost any filter will do, just some may do better.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I know that I will be "shunned" by the majority here, but I have used the Fram's on a lot of my vehicles without incident (with that said; I have never analyzed the oil from those engines either).

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jsimms said:
I know that I will be "shunned" by the majority here, but I have used the Fram's on a lot of my vehicles without incident (with that said; I have never analyzed the oil from those engines either).
I have also and haven't had any problems. I now believe that there are better filters for the same price, but would use if needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts