GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So far I’ve posted two posts and had zero replies so I’m not sure if anyone even reads this stuff anymore! I just recently purchased a 2017 GMC Acadia 2.5 L, I am about to do an oil change just to make sure I know what’s in it. What is the absolute best oil type and filter for this model? I have 94,000 miles on it and a very slight oil leak but I’m not sure where it’s coming from? I was looking to use a high mileage synthetic to hopefully help seal the seals, because I believe this vehicle has sat for a while. Any response would be great! Thank you!

·
Registered
118 Posts
With regard to "absolute best" oil type and filter, you will get many different opinions. Just use a good quality synthetic (high mileage variant, if you like) with the proper viscosity for the engine, and make sure it meets whatever Dexos spec is required. I use Amsoil XL and have also heard really good things about Pennzoil Platinum. As to filters, I have always used AC-Delco brand.

First place to look for a leak is the drain plug and oil filter. Could be the plug washer was not replaced at the last change, or the filter was improperly tightened. Could be that simple.

Tom

Reactions: Mixman1212

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hey everyone! So far I’ve posted two posts and had zero replies so I’m not sure if anyone even reads this stuff anymore! I just recently purchased a 2017 GMC Acadia 2.5 L, I am about to do an oil change just to make sure I know what’s in it. What is the absolute best oil type and filter for this model? I have 94,000 miles on it and a very slight oil leak but I’m not sure where it’s coming from? I was looking to use a high mileage synthetic to hopefully help seal the seals, because I believe this vehicle has sat for a while. Any response would be great! Thank you!
If you want the recommended OEM filter. .. ACDelco PF64.
If you want a more sturdy filter with better filtering then ACDelco UPF64R. . .. OR UPF64RF.

I've been using Champion Labs for my Acadia 3.6L engine who makes the ACDeclo spin on filters.

They are identical and you would want the PH488 filter.

All can be purchased form Rock Auto for decent prices and low shipping. Buy 4 to 6 at a time.

RockAuto

More Information for CHAMP / LUBER-FINER PH488

CHAMP / LUBER-FINER PH488 Oil Filter | RockAuto

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the info! The drain plug looks good and it’s dry near filter. I believe the vehicle sat for a while at some point. Like at an auction yard or something before the dealer I got it from bought it. It was full of pine needles and Brazilian pinecones in the hood. Also I don’t see the Dexos label on any high mileage synthetics? I was hoping to use high mileage to possibly seal whatever’s seeping? But Mobile 1 and Valvoline regular synthetic says Dexos? So weird? Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Thanks so much for the info! The drain plug looks good and it’s dry near filter. I believe the vehicle sat for a while at some point. Like at an auction yard or something before the dealer I got it from bought it. It was full of pine needles and Brazilian pinecones in the hood. Also I don’t see the Dexos label on any high mileage synthetics? I was hoping to use high mileage to possibly seal whatever’s seeping? But Mobile 1 and Valvoline regular synthetic says Dexos? So weird? Thanks again!
One thing I've done when family or I bought a used fairly high mileage vehicle is do an engine flush with a lower cost proper recommended (usually 5W-30) weight engine oil, new cheap oil filter, and substitute 1/2 quart of oil with 1/2 quart Marvel Mystery Oil.

At the same time - - -
To help loosen and dissolve built up carbon on the upper piston rings and top of the pistons - -
Do this also - - - Buy some Gumout One-N-Done gasoline additive and add that to the gas tank before filling up and fill the tank full. If you wish, you could also remove the spark plugs and pour in 1/2 ounce of Sea Foam and a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit over night.
Remove the fuse for the gas tank fuel pump, and crank the engine over a bit that next day. You may want to cover each spark plug hole with some wads of paper towels to reduce the possibility of spraying any liquid should some remain in the cylinders. Usually if left sitting over night, it will drain into the crank case.
Replace the spark plugs and start the engine and drive the Acadia as indicated below.

Drive the car for 1 or two regular trips to work or at least 100 to 200 miles, etc. Then drain it all out.
Fill with a good quality Dexos recommended oil and new filter as I noted in the previous post.
I've been using Pennzoil Full Synthetic. . . (not the "Ultra" synthetic).

If it were me, I might use 5W-30 oil since you mentioned high mileage. . .. and see how it runs. Check oil level weekly or at least every 200 miles or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow great advice! Thank you! I’ve been adding Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to the gas. I love Sea Foam and usually use it in gas as well! I work 81 miles away, so I can do the oil with Marvel Oil, then I just drain it the next day and replace with the proper oil and oil filter? Just wanna make sure I do it correctly!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Wow great advice! Thank you! I’ve been adding Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to the gas. I love Sea Foam and usually use it in gas as well! I work 81 miles away, so I can do the oil with Marvel Oil, then I just drain it the next day and replace with the proper oil and oil filter? Just wanna make sure I do it correctly!
Yes. . . .81 miles would be fine.
Techron is great also. If you wish, you can also add about 1/2 quart of MMO to the gasoline also since that will help as a top cylinder lube and help loosen carbon deposits especially from the piston rings.
The 2.5L engine is somewhat known for the top piston ring to build up carbon on the ring and it's "lands".

Dothis if you don't wish to do the Sea Foam MMO over night soak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Does gumout still make the “One-n-done”? I found “All in one” at the auto stores but only found the one-n-done on Amazon. I’ll order it there if there’s a difference? Actually I can’t find the old one-n-done online so far.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I work 81 miles away so it will be just over 160 miles total trip. How often do I continue adding Techron? I’ve been doing every other tank?
Yes. .One-n-done has more PEA then even Techron that is the compound that does the work of cleaning.
Most people add Techron or One-n-Done only just before the next oil change is about due. This is said to contain any combustion contaminates into the oil that will then be drained and replaced.
Likewise with the MMO . . Marvel Mystery Oil . .1/2 quart every 6 months should help enough.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Thank you! Only found one place that still carries One-n-done. Now the auto shops have Gumout “All-in-one” not sure if it’s the same?
I see that. Well,I would stick with Techron then. But the one that says "Concentrate" Complete Fuel System on the bottle.
It has more PEA than the lower cost bottle of Techron.

Also, no need to put it in every other tank. If you use a top tier gasoline, they already have fuel cleaning additives in it. So twice a year adding Techron Concentrate Complete should be plenty. Especially since you have long drives each day which helps keep things clean.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much! I think I’ll run one more bottle of Techron Concentrate through on my next tank. I have a full tank now without cleaners. Then do the oil change clean after that. I’ve only had the car 2 weeks and ran the last bottle of Techron about a week ago. Thanks again for all the info!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I work 81 miles away so it will be just over 160 miles total trip. How often do I continue adding Techron? I’ve been doing every other tank?
Last time I looked at a bottle of Techron, I believe it indicated that you should run it for one tank of gas, and then change the oil.

There is no real point in dumping all of this crap into your engine. Buy a factory oil filter and buy the appropriate dexos rated oil and get on with life…

1 - 15 of 15 Posts