GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow!!! Great Sticky..!!>> Is it possible that the other filters may have the same problems and their manufacturers are behind AMSOIL in their response? Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention!! Thank you..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Has anyone learned what is different about the 3.6?
I saw where someone posted they were going to use a PF61 instead of PF48. Is that correct?
My input, I have 11 Lacrosse w/3.6. Factory install was PF48 & had sticker saying replace w/PF48. Manual calls for PF63. I have not been able to get PF63 and did some shopping for replacement. Purolator PureOne PL22500. !st I found PF48 has no drainback valve, new filter does. The replacement has slightly higher bypass setting than the crossed replacement of PF48.
It appears that the PF63 is called for on all 2011 3.6.
Does anyone have data on PF63?

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I have not seen any info on it-- except what owners have posted... like-- its X.X inches longer...

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Found the PF 63 at an AutoZone; but I had just done a change two weeks before; next oil change I will purchase the PF 63 for my 07

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Oh really?
this is the 1st sighting of the PF-63 filter in the 'WILD'.

wild being not dealer- and not ordered online in packs of 12.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
rbarrios said:
Oh really?
this is the 1st sighting of the PF-63 filter in the 'WILD'.

wild being not dealer- and not ordered online in packs of 12.
Yeah I guess; I saw it and kept walking...........I then back tracked just to make sure I actually saw it

·
Registered
55 Posts
AA/78U said:
Yeah I guess; I saw it and kept walking...........I then back tracked just to make sure I actually saw it
Darned. I just changed mine as well. I'll see if Autozone has it here. If it has drainback valve, that might explain a number of issues. When I pulled mine, it had very little oil in it and it was just run to warm oil. It seems like we may have been getting dry starts and who knows what premature wear that could have caused. Since the oil reaches the top last, maybe even timing chain issues. Excessive wear on valve seals? Just about anything.

A number of years back Ford had internal memo concerning dry start of drive train. Put in park, no parking brake applied before releasing foot brake. On an incline that puts pressure backward through drivetrain including main shaft bearings in transmission because that is where parking pawl engaged. The consequence is that pressure pushed any lubrication from bearing points of rest resulting in a dry start point. Hence the beginning of uneven wear.
For safety sake and longevity set parking brake before releasing foot brake.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
That is not true. The PF48 does have an ADBV. Here are some pics from BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2105249&page=1.

There is also some pics of a cut open NapaGold/Wix and a PureOne on the last page FYI.
That one might, but mine definitely does not. A manufacturing flaw? I even blew through it from the outlet in case I was missing something. Even with oil soaked element there was almost no resistance.
I'm glad I decided to hang on to it.
Maybe you might want to pull yours and check.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Most of the times I cut mine open and check the guts for integrity. I have not found any without the ADBV.

Maybe you needed to check this thread :eek: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2146626#Post2146626. Never mind, I see you tried something similar.

If yours truly doesn't have the ADBV, I would call AC/Delco and make a claim about it. They will probably send you a box and materials to ship it back for their inspection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Most of the times I cut mine open and check the guts for integrity. I have not found any without the ADBV.
If yours truly doesn't have the ADBV, I would call AC/Delco and make a claim about it. They will probably send you a box and materials to ship it back for their inspection.
I was considering cutting open when I found a tool that did not make a mess. Now I'm glad I did not. This will be well documented before anyone gets hands on it.
If drainback valve is present, I usually stick a piece of wire in a port to hold it open and drain the rest of the oil. I did not need to on this one.

BTW, I just went and got filter. Looking straight in, the first thing I see is flat metal. The end plate of the paper element I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just saw on the Amsoil website that they now offer an EaK filter for the 2010 3.6 Acadia engine. I did not look at the other Lambdas. Interesting for sure, they do not list the same filter on the 2011. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Interesting. They are showing the Ea15k50 oil filter for 2007 to 2010 Acadia's. I guess due to the oil filter change in 2011 they are not offering an Ea filter at this time.

I have been checking periodically but have missed this one. There was no official announcement about a new filter for this application like I thought they would have done since there were issues in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The now recommended Amsoil Ea15K50 oil filter is available for $12.95, and is suitable for the Acadia, etc. It is a 15,000 mile filter rather than the 25k mile of the recalled filter. I installed it in March, and it seems fine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just an update for anyone interested. You can run the Ea15k50 filter in 2007 to 2010 Acadia's. 2011 to 2014 you have a choice of either the Ea017 or the Ea15k50. The difference is the Ea017 is longer than the Ea15k50 and is also the 25K mile filter where the Ea15k50 is only used up to 15k miles. Personally in these vehicles I wouldn't go past 5k miles on an oil change. At least all my UOA's for my 2011 have been coming back at 5k and the oil has been depleted of it's useful life.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
22 Participants
Rat407
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing