GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just informed that AMSOIL no longer recommends the use of the EaO47 oil filter for the Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine.
Moderators, if you could make this a sticky post for everyone to see. Thanks

I know I was really talking up the EaO filters from AMSOIL in another thread. It seems that our Acadia's engine is a different design from the common internal combustion engine and for some reason will not allow the EaO filter to work properly. I just learned about this and wanted to get it out to everyone as soon as I could. I just replaced my EaO47 on our Acadia tonight with the K&N HP-1017. As new information comes out I will let everyone know. Until then, Teetertotter runs a Mobil 1 oil filter the M1-113 which is a good filter and the K&N HP-1017 is another good quality filter next to the Wix that AMSOIL recommends below.

Below is from AMSOIL TSB: FL-2008-10-3

ISSUES:
Laboratory and field analyses have concluded that the Suzuki/
GM 3.6L V6 engine found in several 2007 and 2008
GM and Suzuki vehicles has unique internal characteristics
that prevent the EaO47 Filter from functioning properly.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:
The unique design of the Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine is not
compatible with the design of the EaO47 Filter. However,
the design incompatibilities are limited to this particular engine
and do not apply to other engines to which the EaO47
Filter applies.

RECOMMENDATION:
AMSOIL recommends the WIX 57060 oil filter for Suzuki/
GM 3.6L V6 engine applications.
AMSOIL recommends immediate discontinuation of the
use of the EaO47 Filter with applications powered by the
Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine. These applications include,
but are not limited to the following vehicles:
• 2008 Buick Enclave
• 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
• 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport
• 2007 GMC Acadia
• 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP
• 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP
• 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP
• 2008 Pontiac G8
• 2007 Saturn Aura XR
• 2007 Saturn Outlook
• 2008 Saturn Aura XR
• 2008 Saturn Outlook
• 2008 Saturn Vue XR
• 2008 Saturn Vue Red Line
• 2007 Suzuki XL-7
• 2008 Suzuki XL-7

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Another note is that NOT all oil filters are made to function 100% in a HORIZONTAL position. I forgot to mention this on another board.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
I've been using the M1-113 filter too. Hmm, I wonder what's different about our motors. ???

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Rat407 said:
Moderators, if you could make this a sticky post for everyone to see. Thanks
Sticky done

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
This must apply to the 2009 DI engine also...correct?

·
Registered
177 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I've been using the M1-113 filter too. Hmm, I wonder what's different about our motors. ???
:ditto:

Also thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use fram without any issues. I change my oil every 4,000 miles and use synthetic so I don't need a filter that lasts more then 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GeoHawk said:
So as far as we know the M1-113 is good for our 3.6L engine? I recently had a friend pick me up a couple while he was in the States (M1 filters are not available in Canada). I had previously read that this filter was a top of the line filter.

Anyone do a UOA of our engine with this filter?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rat407 said:
I was just informed that AMSOIL no longer recommends the use of the EaO47 oil filter for the Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine.

As new information comes out I will let everyone know. Until then, Teetertotter runs a Mobil 1 oil filter the M1-113 which is a good filter and the K&N HP-1017 is another good quality filter next to the Wix that AMSOIL recommends below.
Who actually makes this now 'no no' Ea047 filter? It makes me wonder what can be so wrong with it and not with say the M1-113 or the WIX or...

It almost makes me think that it maybe the safest to just use the OEM AC PF48 for now. What do you think?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rat407 said:

AMSOIL recommends immediate discontinuation of the
use of the EaO47 Filter with applications powered by the
Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine. These applications include,

but are not limited to the following vehicles:
• 2008 Buick Enclave
• 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
• 2008 Chevrolet Equinox Sport
• 2007 GMC Acadia
• 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP
• 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP
• 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP
• 2008 Pontiac G8
• 2007 Saturn Aura XR
• 2007 Saturn Outlook
• 2008 Saturn Aura XR
• 2008 Saturn Outlook
• 2008 Saturn Vue XR
• 2008 Saturn Vue Red Line
• 2007 Suzuki XL-7
• 2008 Suzuki XL-7
Rat, I am assuming that this Amsoil alert would also apply to the 2009 3.6L direct injection engine?

And I wonder why the 08 CTS and STS Caddies arent included in this list ???. They also use a GM 3.6L engine.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
copperbeech said:
Rat, I am assuming that this Amsoil alert would also apply to the 2009 3.6L direct injection engine?

And I wonder why the 08 CTS and STS Caddies arent included in this list ???. They also use a GM 3.6L engine.
Out of curiosity, I checked an online Amsoil product application guide and it didn't list the EaO47 filter for the Caddy CTS/STS with the 3.6L, only the Wix one.

Maybe it is under the line "These applications include,
but are not limited to the following vehicles" that is in that TSB.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMSOIL isn't going to make an EaO filter for the 3.6 engine. They recommend to use the Wix filter or OEM and change according to the manufactures specifications. I have found that the Mann filter works well also. Not sure if anyone has been looking at used oil analysis that some of us have sent in but in my case the 3.6 is killing the oil at 4k miles. I can't go any longer on an oil change. If anyone is taking their oil out to what the oil life monitor tells them to and it goes over 5k miles (especially with conventional oil) I would highly suggest that you stop going past 5k until you have your oil analyzed. Especially if you have the new direct injected engine on the 09 models. From the UOA that are out there now on this engine it doesn't look good to go past 5k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
FWIW Rat, I've been using Amsoil ASL w/ the M1-113 filter and getting good UOAs. It probably overkill based in the UOAs, but I usually go ahead and change it between 5-6K miles anyway. I still have a hard time going much longer between changes even with using the ASL oil.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Rat407 said:
AMSOIL isn't going to make an EaO filter for the 3.6 engine. They recommend to use the Wix filter or OEM and change according to the manufactures specifications. I have found that the Mann filter works well also. Not sure if anyone has been looking at used oil analysis that some of us have sent in but in my case the 3.6 is killing the oil at 4k miles. I can't go any longer on an oil change. If anyone is taking their oil out to what the oil life monitor tells them to and it goes over 5k miles (especially with conventional oil) I would highly suggest that you stop going past 5k until you have your oil analyzed. Especially if you have the new direct injected engine on the 09 models. From the UOA that are out there now on this engine it doesn't look good to go past 5k miles.
I'm sticking with conventional oil and 3K changes.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GeoHawk said:
FWIW Rat, I've been using Amsoil ASL w/ the M1-113 filter and getting good UOAs. It probably overkill based in the UOAs, but I usually go ahead and change it between 5-6K miles anyway. I still have a hard time going much longer between changes even with using the ASL oil.
Would it be possible for you to send me just the raw data of your UOA's so I can compare them to mine? I'm curious to see the difference. I have not run a Mobil 1 filter yet.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Rat407 said:
Would it be possible for you to send me just the raw data of your UOA's so I can compare them to mine? I'm curious to see the difference. I have not run a Mobil 1 filter yet.

Thanks
I'll dig them up and try to scan them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rat407 said:

Thanks
Id love to see that as well Geo. Did you ever post any of them on BITOG?

I have an 09 Traverse and have done several UOAs and the jury is still out on this engine and its treatment of its oil. So far I have used only the PF48 but have 3 M1-113 waiting to be used. I got cold feet after seeing that the Amsoil Eao filter had been derecommended for the 3.6. I guess I was thinking that if Amsoil couldnt get it right maybe other filters were problematic as well ???.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My understanding is that the oil filter for 07 Acadia requires some internal bypass feature due to horizontal mounting. Don't know about 08 or 09. I buy Mobil 1 filter and have local Quick change use instead. They deduct $4.00 off my oil changes. We know too that GM filters are okay for replacement. After market filters are not always the same for all engines. Be careful........................

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
22 Participants
Rat407
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing