GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished my first oil change at 5k. It was pretty straightforward. I needed a wrench to get the filter off, but didn't need ramps to get at the drain plug.

The only PITA was that the oil filler cap is so low in the engine. I had to hold the 5 qt jug of oil a good 8" or so above the hole. My aim was pretty good, so I didn't dribble oil down the side of the engine. Anyone got a good solution? I figure that a funnel would work pretty well, put I don't want to have to store the slimy thing.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Go to auto parts store and buy a funnel with long neck. Throw it away if you don't want to reuse/store the slimy thing.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A quick wipe of a standard funnel with a shop towel and the funnel is clean, at least enough that it won't drip.

·
Registered
217 Posts
After you wipe the funnel clean, store it in a large ziploc bag to keep it free from dust and dirt until the next use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
take one of your empty oil jugs and cut the bottom of it off with a box cutter or some other blade. Then use that as a funnel. Just stick it in the oil cap hole and WHAMMO. A free oil funnel.

When you are done put the cap back on your new home made funnel and stuff it with newspaper and or paper towels and re-use it everytime you change the oil. I have had one for years and used it many times. On all cars you need a funnel, pretty much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I change my oil I take off the plastic engine cover. With the oil cap removed it pulls right off. It gives me some room and I can see what's going on under there. The power steering fluid reservoir is under there as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gnarboots11 said:
take one of your empty oil jugs and cut the bottom of it off with a box cutter or some other blade. Then use that as a funnel. Just stick it in the oil cap hole and WHAMMO. A free oil funnel.

When you are done put the cap back on your new home made funnel and stuff it with newspaper and or paper towels and re-use it everytime you change the oil. I have had one for years and used it many times. On all cars you need a funnel, pretty much.
This one sounds like it would work for me. I like "free".

I've never needed a funnel for any car that I've owned over the last 25 yrs or so. The caps have always been high enough that I could get 1 qt jugs flipped w/o spillage.

·
Registered
294 Posts
mioutlook said:
When I change my oil I take off the plastic engine cover. With the oil cap removed it pulls right off. It gives me some room and I can see what's going on under there. The power steering fluid reservoir is under there as well.
This is what I did when I changed the oil in mine this past Sunday. The oil change on this vehicle is very easy compared to some other automobiles.

By the way, AutoZone is running a special for 5 qts. of Castrol Syntec and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $25.88. Add in 1 more qt of oil and you have a synthetic oil change for less than $35! ( You save about $17 on this deal and get a superior oil filter to boot.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I buy oil they always give me a little disposable paper funnel. It works great, it's free and it goes in the garbage when I'm done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts