GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in one of the threads that someone indicated the size of the oil drain plug. I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone know the size socket needed to remove the oil drain plug?
Thanks

·
Registered
487 Posts
TMMAR said:
I saw in one of the threads that someone indicated the size of the oil drain plug. I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone know the size socket needed to remove the oil drain plug?
Thanks
I'm guessing that it's either a 14 or 15 mm like most other GM plugs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's a METRIC (not English) socket size.

I discovered this fact the first time I changed my own oil.

It's 13mm.

BTW, I had a devil of a time getting the new oil filter installed. You can't quite see where it goes, so you do it all by feel. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I simply could not get the new filter started on the threads. I could never line it up. I've been changing my own oil for 30+ years and have never had this problem. I felt like a total idiot.

It took me over 20 minutes and countless tries to finally get it on. I have no idea why it finally went on, but I was greatly relieved.

I hope it's smoother the next time.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I won't have as much trouble getting the filter on as others have indicated. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The factory filter is put on extremely tight. I ended up having to use a strap and bar to compress and actually dented the filter to remove it. I have never had a factory filter installed this tight before. FYI.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know you are supposed to only hand tighten oil filters but I used one of those metal caps that attach to a socket and fit over the end of the filter to both remove and replace the filter on our Enclave. I found it difficult to get the filter off and then the new one tightened without it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I guess i am old enough that i don't see any fun in chinging my own oil anymore so i pay the dealership to do it. That way i don't have to get rid of all the old oil.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I'm hearing from some about the oil filter problems, I think that I may be going that route also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know that it's a widespread problem. I haven't really heard of others having the same difficulty.

I was attributing it to my own clumsiness.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided not to undertake the challenge at this time so I took it to the dealer for the oil change and I'm glad I did. I had a coupon from the dealer for a $20 oil/filter change and while there had a recall done and tried to have the trans program updated. The internet was down so I have to go back for that but they were giving out coupons for a $20 car wash so it really paid off and I didn't have to mess with the filter problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think this may be the easiest car to change the oil in i have ever owned. The filter is easily accessible from the top and right in the middle with plenty of space for a ratchet. I get it done in the time it would take me to drive somewhere to do it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
TMMAR said:
Decided not to undertake the challenge at this time so I took it to the dealer for the oil change and I'm glad I did. I had a coupon from the dealer for a $20 oil/filter change and while there had a recall done and tried to have the trans program updated. The internet was down so I have to go back for that but they were giving out coupons for a $20 car wash so it really paid off and I didn't have to mess with the filter problem.
"The Internet" was down??? Do they actually download the tranny update over the internet each and everytime they have to do a tranny reflash. Hope our Acadia's do not get a virus during one of these downloads. ;D

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
johnway,
I went into the shop and watched the tech as he was trying to update the tranny. He logged on to GM World website and hooked up a device to the car and to the computer with 2 connectors. He kept getting a message that GM World was down and he could not do the update so I quess that they actually do down load the updated via the internet everytime.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Maybe everyone getting the reflash DID pick up a virus...that is why all the compaints of water leaks lately - the Acadia's got the sniffles!!! :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
TMMAR said:
johnway,
I went into the shop and watched the tech as he was trying to update the tranny. He logged on to GM World website and hooked up a device to the car and to the computer with 2 connectors. He kept getting a message that GM World was down and he could not do the update so I quess that they actually do down load the updated via the internet everytime.
TMMAR,

After thinking about it. I guess it makes sense, and saves GM lots of $$$ by not having to send out a software update on CD to each and every service department and also make sure the service departments always have the most updated versions - but they need to keep their network up, what a hassle if like me you had to drive 40 miles to the dealer to have them tell me the network was down, they need some sort of backup network for these types of problems.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
johnway,
Its not 40 miles but it is still a pain having to go back. Maybe it did get a virus downloaded or it reset to an earlier version of the program when it couldn't update because the tranny is worse now than before it went in. Also, as is my habit, I check the oil level after each change. When I got home and checked it today, it was way over the full mark. I checked it several times to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Also I looked at the filter and it was white, the same color as was put in the last time the oil was changed. I'm sure that GM uses AC Delco parts and the AC Delco filter is blue. So here I am trying to do the right thing by going to GM service for an oil change and they put in too much oil (service work order states they used 6 quarts while the owners manual says it take 5.5 quarts when the filter is changed) and they didn't change the filter which left even more oil in the system. Now I have to go back tomorrow for that as well. I'm not sure what would have happened if I took the 5+ hour drive tomorrow at the 65 mph speed, but I'm sure that it would have caused some problem with the motor and I would have to prove that it was GM service that screwed things and not something that I did. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh- I forgot to include with my last post that I had the propeller bolt recall done today also. After all the other problems, I quess that I better have them check that they didn't screw that up as well. I guess that I am getting paranoid about quality of the work that the dealership is doing. :angryfire:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts