GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Acadia, 125,000 miles. For the past year I MUST change the oil faithfully at 5000 miles, or my car starts missing really bad. Nobody believes me, but the minute I change my oil, the miss disappears, only to reappear at about 4500 miles into an oil change. What the heck is going on? This has been happening for at least a year. Otherwise, the car runs great. I'm not talking about a little hiccup, I'm talking about a major jerk miss. Using full synthetic oil. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Are you doing anything else when you change your oil? Drain, oil filter swap, refill, reset, that's it?
Nothing crazy like pulling the battery cable?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Only thing that makes sense would be a collapsing or stuck lifter. You might try changing to a different oil to see if that helps. If it is consistent enough a compression check would identify the cylinder having problems or bringing it to someone that can do a relative compression check to identify the cylinder and go from there. Ultimately if it was mine I would be changing oil early to avoid the issue. To replace lifters would be pretty involved.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was thinking along that line also...
OP; are you running factory recommended type, grade, viscosity? If yes to all, did you use the same oil every time? If so... don't. Try a different brand. What have you used?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
09 Acadia, 125,000 miles. For the past year I MUST change the oil faithfully at 5000 miles, or my car starts missing really bad. Nobody believes me, but the minute I change my oil, the miss disappears, only to reappear at about 4500 miles into an oil change. What the heck is going on? This has been happening for at least a year. Otherwise, the car runs great. I'm not talking about a little hiccup, I'm talking about a major jerk miss. Using full synthetic oil. Any suggestions?
Does it trigger the check engine light? Has it been scanned for trouble codes?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Also I would be hesitant to recommend an engine flush. If oil changes were neglected earlier in its life you could break a bunch of material free and plug up the oil screen.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Also I would be hesitant to recommend an engine flush. If oil changes were neglected earlier in its life you could break a bunch of material free and plug up the oil screen.
Manual for '19 states not to have engine flushes. Unsure about his year...

·
Super Moderator
20,263 Posts
Maybe do a used oil analysis (UOA) at the next oil change. See if the engine oil suffers greatly from fuel dilution and loss of viscosity.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've been going one full year between oil changes - even though Oil Chg Indicator says I'm at zero remaining - since I'm using full synthetic. My 2009 has 70,000 miles - and have not had that issue. I think I'd want to connect a diagnostic computer and try to induce that issue to see what codes it throws. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts