GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a "how to" on doing an oil change.

I have to do one on my wife's 07 but would like some tips first....

I change the oil in my 06 Subaru STI so I'm not totally lost!

However, have never done an oil change on the Acadia or any GM vehicle for that matter!

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There's not really anything unique to the Acadia. Remove drain plug on the oil pan. Position your catch pan to allow for the oil to shoot out a little bit (I really like plugs that angle down a little more!). Remove the oil filter from the top. It will drain pretty much straight down. You'll probably need a filter wrench (the cap style that goes over the end of the filter), since they always seem to put them on tight at the factory :angryfire:. PF48 filter.

You can remove the engine cover for easier filling with some funnels. It just lifts straight up.

Reset the engine oil monitor.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
...since they always seem to put them on tight at the factory :angryfire:.
Look at the bright side- at least they didn't bury 1/3 of the motor under the cowl & allow a generous .083" of clearance on each side to access the plugs like on the 4th gen LT1. ;D

·
Registered
112 Posts
If this is your truck's first oil change, the filter is going to be screwed on real tight! I'd wait to do my own oil changes after someone else takes off the original filter. The filters seem to be super glued on at the factory! A old friend of mine worked at Jiffy Lube. He hated life when a new car came in for it's first oil change.

I had an '84 Mustang GT. On it's first oil change, I attempted to remove the factory filter and broke two new filter wrenches. The filter was so mangled, that I had to have the car towed to a local service station to have what was left sawed off!
Live and learn...

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Jeff95TA said:
...since they always seem to put them on tight at the factory :angryfire:.
Look at the bright side- at least they didn't bury 1/3 of the motor under the cowl & allow a generous .083" of clearance on each side to access the plugs like on the 4th gen LT1. ;D
Another great example of GM engineering was the 1975+ Chevy Monza. If you got the V-8 you either had to dissassemble the steering gear or lift the engine to remove the #7 spark plug. :beer: But yeah, the 4th Gen F-Body wasn't any better and my mom had an 82 Malibu Wagon that the only way to get to the spark plugs was from underneath the motor. :banghead: We never changed the oil on that old 'Bu since it burned it so fast, just swapped out the filter every 3000K miles. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I recall the phrase in auto shop in HS for the Vega- save the oil & change the car. ;D

Aluminum alloy blocks have come a long way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's not really anything unique to the Acadia. Remove drain plug on the oil pan. Position your catch pan to allow for the oil to shoot out a little bit (I really like plugs that angle down a little more!). Remove the oil filter from the top. It will drain pretty much straight down. You'll probably need a filter wrench (the cap style that goes over the end of the filter), since they always seem to put them on tight at the factory :angryfire:. PF48 filter.
So, does anyone have any good tips on removing the filter (we have a 2012 Acadia) without dumping oil all over the motor mount and front crossmember?

I haven’t changed the oil myself in years, as the local dealer used to send me coupons which got me an oil change w/ filter and a tire rotation for about what I would pay just to buy the oil myself. Alas, the dealership has been sold, and no more coupons from the new owners, so I am back to doing the job myself…

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
So, does anyone have any good tips on removing the filter (we have a 2012 Acadia) without dumping oil all over the motor mount and front crossmember?
It's easy to make something out of a used plastic bottle. Cut the bottom and use the neck to direct oil into the drain pan. A one quart milk bottle or 1L soda bottle should do just fine. It's even possible to make a catch funnel out of a manila file folder, or some other stout paper product. Somewhere on this forum, someone has posted pictures of their method. I also believe auto part stores sell a reusable flexible plastic product for fashioning such a funnel.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Ive had luck- with parking the vehicle (slightly downhill- like the slope of a typical driveway- were there is a slight slope).
So, what you want to do is loosen the filter-- then slowly unscrew it. At one point it will begin to release oil. The oil mount does have a lip.
If done right and with patience the oil will slowly drip off the lip and down to your pan. Once done- unscrew it a little more- and gently move the filter up/down as your unscrewing it (it may release a little more).
If I cant wait I just remove it fast- and clean up with paper towels and Simple Green.
heres the lip im referring to.
I also pushed the cable thats covered in metallic sheath- so it sat under the lip.
I found that the oil was splashing on this cable.

Reactions: Ivar

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes I will second the lip seen above on the 3.6 will drain the oil clearly if you are on level ground or rack.

This is not a very dramatic drain. I have seen much much worse.

The filter should not be over tight. That does happen on a rare occasion but not on all. My first Acadia was normal and I expect out new to be the same.

Just make sure to get the correct drain plug. I saw a guy on the Terrain forum drain the transmission and then add 6 quarts of oil to the engine. He was lucky that the vehicle did not move and he discovered his error before terminal damage is done. On these models they can have two plugs one for the engine and one for the transaxle so use care.

It is more clear on the Acadia than the Terrain.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

I haven’t changed the oil myself in years, as the local dealer used to send me coupons which got me an oil change w/ filter and a tire rotation for about what I would pay just to buy the oil myself. Alas, the dealership has been sold, and no more coupons from the new owners, so I am back to doing the job myself…

Thanks!

Good advice was given to use a cut off plastic beverage bottle or similar. I fashioned a "funnel" using a 20oz empty Techron Complete Fuel System Concentrate container. It is fairly heavy plastic and so I have used it many times in the past.
You could also find various funnels and similar products at an auto supply store. I have one that is essentially a flexible plastic coated lead that can be shaped into whatever area that is required for it to fit into.

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
I knew there was at least one thread with pictures about using a plastic bottle: did my second oil change today. A search using keywords like "funnel" or "oil change funnel" will most likely lead to others.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I always review potential messy oil spill oil changes prior to jumping in.
Even my lawn tractor... the drain plug goes straight onto the mower deck. Nope, that ain't gonna work. Use stuff around the house; plastic bottles (cut up as needed), old thin/small buckets, heck even glossy cardboard works for a one time deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts