GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My friend has an 08 or an 07 GMC Acadia V6. He wants me to change his oil tomorrow, so I have a few questions for you guys.

1. How do I turn off his oil change light and reset the oil life thing on the dash screen?
2. How many quarts does it take?
3. Do I need to put a washer on the oil drain plug when I put it back on?
4. Any other insider tips I should know?

Thanks! :thumb:
All help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
dmc80 said:
Hi there,

My friend has an 08 or an 07 GMC Acadia V6. He wants me to change his oil tomorrow, so I have a few questions for you guys.

1. How do I turn off his oil change light and reset the oil life thing on the dash screen?

1) with the oil life % showing, just hold the reset button (left one of the four) for a couple seconds, just like resetting any of the other DIC functions
2) about 5 quarts
3) No
4) Its handy to have a funnel for refilling as the oil fill is somewhat deep in the engine cover. Some remove the cover but you don't need to if you use a funnel. Have a couple extra paper towels to clean up under the oil filter when you remove it. Is not a big deal, adds about 30 seconds to the process, although some posts on this board feel its an issue. In my experience, its a relatively easy vehicle to do an oil change on.

·
Registered
468 Posts
GerryL said:
2) 4 2/3 qts
?? My Enclave has the same engine and takes 5.5 quarts.

As far as helpful tips I would say have gloves and a long sleeve shirt ready because the oil filter is near the exhaust manifold and it gets darn hot there. That and you will spill some oil taking the filter off so have rags handy.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmc80 said:
Hi there,

Seems weird; your friend has the Acadia but you get a forum membership to find out oil changing hints :eek: You must be a concerned friend to go to those lengths

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, well since he's paying me $65.00 I don't want to mess anything up on his Acadia.

I swear I'm not some Acadia noob owner that is too afraid to come clean. I regularly drive a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am and a 1981 Delorean DMC-12

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmc80 said:
yeah, well since he's paying me $65.00[/color] I don't want to mess anything up on his Acadia.

I swear I'm not some Acadia noob owner that is too afraid to come clean. I regularly drive a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am and a 1981 Delorean DMC-12
You're a good friend to think ahead and make sure you do the job correctly. Nothing to mess up; it's pretty straightforward...........meaning there aren't any hidden secrets

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's with the red highlight on the 65 dollars? Is that too much?

I'm using synthetic oil, changing filter, topping off all fluids and then quickly washing it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmc80 said:
What's with the red highlight on the 65 dollars? Is that too much?

I'm using synthetic oil, changing filter, topping off all fluids and then quickly washing it.
For all that service; I think that's fair; I originally thought this was an oil and filter change only

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmc80 said:
What do you consider a fair price for just oil and filter?
Well I guess it depends on how good of a friend it is; me.......a close friend who supplies the oil and filter I wouldn't charge then anything........unless this is something that the person wants done on a regular basis; in that case with all supplies and vehicle I would go for $20.

A friend who isn't really all that much of a friend but is taking advantage of your generosity and experience; I would shoot for $25 minimum; up to $30.

In both cases; if the friend wants you to go and purchase the oil and filter and then do the job; well tack on an extra $5 for your time and trouble.

That's me though; your situation may or not be different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not really a friend, it's a neighbor i've talked to once in my life, he just always sees me in the driveway working on my Delorean. So are those prices including what I pay for the oil and filter? Because 6 quarts of synthetic with the filter are going to cost me 30.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Now that I have the whole picture; $65 is well worth the price given the situation etc. He would probably be charged more than that at any dealership especially for synthetic oil, now that's excluding topping off fluids, a quick wash etc. If you have already quoted $65 then you're stuck to your word. If not shoot for $75 and tell them you'll also top off the headlight fluid with high intensity fluid :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much would a dealership cost him for these two services? So I can have something to compare my price too when I tell him since I didn't give him one yet

1) just oil and filter
2) oil, filter, top off all fluids and wash

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I checked my dealer's website and couldn't find any prices; I change my own oil so I haven't had mine changed at the dealer. I think your price is fair and at least competitive with dealerships. I know my dealer checks the fluids and gives the Acadia a wash when I've had her in for service.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
dmc80 said:
yeah, well since he's paying me $65.00 I don't want to mess anything up on his Acadia.

I swear I'm not some Acadia noob owner that is too afraid to come clean. I regularly drive a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am[/color] and a 1981 Delorean DMC-12
:hijacked:
Forget about changing the oil, let's change the topic-

Got any pics of the TA? :) Last of the breed!

/hijack
I thought the $65 sounded high until I read about the synthetic oil part. You're looking at at least $30~35 in materials, and a half hour of labor. Most dealers are above $60/hour. I looked at a couple of chain maintenance places and they don't quote prices online other than to offer $3~5 off the service..

It's not really a friend, it's a neighbor I've talked to once in my life, he just always sees me in the driveway working on my Delorean
I'd put him in the friend category. At least he isn't calling code enforcement on you for repairing your car on your property.

You know someone was going to ask, so here goes. Have you installed the flux capacitor yet? :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
dmc80 said:
What do you consider a fair price for just oil and filter?
I think my local Chevy dealer charged me about $75 for a synthetic oil change on my Vette when I had it. But I only did it once a year so I did not really care that much. I think $65 is more than fair. You would have nearly $30 in oil alone depending on what brand you use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:

You know someone was going to ask, so here goes. Have you installed the flux capacitor yet? :D

Oh do I hate that movie! :angryfire: Almost as much as I can't stand Delorean owners (mostly nerdy geeks).

Anyway, I'll try to get pics of my rides up soon.

Anyone ever have a driveshaft fall out of their acadia?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
dmc80 said:
Anyone ever have a driveshaft fall out of their Acadia?
Yeah... that happened right after the water pump broke on my Corvair & I melted a piston in my RX-71.

:lame:
Please forgive the automotive-based humor... I'm figuring this relates to the AWD version as there is no driveshaft for a FWD?

I've never heard of this happening, but with a cadre of owners researching adding forced induction one way or another this may be an issue once we break 400 RWHP!

1 For those that didn't understand this, the Corvair used an air cooled motor and has no water pump other than one to spray washer fluid onto the windshield. Likewise, the original RX-7 had a rotary engine that didn't use pistons.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmc80 said:
Oh do I hate that movie! :angryfire: Almost as much as I can't stand Delorean owners (mostly nerdy geeks).

Anyway, I'll try to get pics of my rides up soon.

Anyone ever have a driveshaft fall out of their acadia?
Did that happen to your friends Acadia? ???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this one was an actual friend's acadia. My best friend has an Acadia and we took it to go skiing since neither of my cars fit skis :banghead:. Any way we were almost there and we heard a banging noise that you could hear about once every three seconds. If you went faster the time in between the noise would decrease. So I told him pull over something is dragging. I figured it was the exhaust, but I looked under and..a GMC driveshaft hanging down. Dealership repaired it for free and GM sent him a big appology letter and extended his warranty for years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts