GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing oil changes in my cars for more than 20 year. I think that there are benefits to doing them yourself as you know what's going into the vehicle and that everything is tight when you finish the job. (my friend went to a lube place and they didn't tighten her drain plug properly - needless to say she needed a tow and some motor work) Of course, going to a reputable oil service center has it's advantages in terms of speed, convenience, and in some cases a relatively low cost.

I changed my Acadia's oil for the first time and here's what I found. First, finding an oil filter was difficult (I'm sure it would have been easy if I purchased one from GM). I checked Fram's website and was pleasently surprised that they had a listing for the new Acadia, which was PH10060. However, that filter isn't stocked at Walmart. I checked Advanced Auto and couldn't find it on their shelves either. When I provided the Fram #, the employee recalled seeing a new shipment in the back and sure enough, it was the filter I needed.

As for the oil change itself, it was anything but fun. It was somewhat hard to reach, but managable. The problem was that it was locked on the vehicle. I had to try 3 different oil wrenches to get it off. The limited space didn't allow much room for movement so you're looking at maybe inch at a time turns. The standard tight-fitting wrench (that fits on the end of a rachet wrench) that works on my Fram filters was just a hair to big to fit the AC Delco Filter. I have a wrap-around oil filter wrench that looks somewhat like a lobster claw in terms of the inner prongs that lock onto the filter. I've had the wrench for years and I completely demolished the wrench. I snapped a retainer pin off and bent the wrench real bad. I finally got it off by placing a drill bit between the filter and the wrench to provide added tension. I probably spent 45 minutes trying to get the filter off. I'm not sure if the factory over-tightened the filter or if they didn't run a bead of oil around the gaskey prior to installation.

My recommendation is to have your GM dealer do your first oil change. That was you can be sure that they have the right filter in stock. Thereafter, consider doing it yourself or taking it to your favorite lube place. It definitely wasn't worth doing the first one yourself. Just ask my wife who kept calling me in for dinner.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I believe when it is displayed, you press and hold the check button and then that will reset it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I changed mine for the first time a couple weeks ago and it wasn't all too bad...I've done much worse on past vehicles owned. Mine was on very tight too and found that a strap wrench (with the rubber ban that wraps around the filter) worked fine. I loosened the filter just enough so that I could unscrew it by hand after it was up on ramps. Once on the ramps I used a small step stool to get up high enough to reach the filter under the hood. There was a little spillage that ran down onto some support rails, but nothing a few rags couldn't clean up.

Far as resetting the Oil Life monitor...turn the key to accessory (but don't start the engine), scroll through list to bring up Oil Life monitor, then hit and hold in the check mark button for a couple seconds until it resets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I changed my oil a few weeks ago also and didn't have much of a hard time either. I have heard on this site that it can be painful especially with the placement of the oil filter, but mine came off fine and I had minimal spillage on the frame (my oil container caught everything). I like changing my own oil in all of my vehicles and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I usually change my own oil. I had it changed at 700 miles at a Valvoline Quick Lube just to see what it was like to do. They had one filter in stock & was a bear to remove - overtighten! I had dino installed. It was a little messy when they removed the filter. The installer turned the key on & tapped the gas pedal three times to reset it. He said all cars reset this way.

The PF-48 is the same filter that they use on the new LS6 Vetts. It has a pressure relief vavle in the filter. I purchased six NAPA Gold filter severals weeks ago when they were 25% discount. They had to order them in from two different states to fill my order. My Wal Mart did stock the filter.

Pat

·
Registered
697 Posts
Old Timer said:
The installer turned the key on & tapped the gas pedal three times to reset it. He said all cars reset this way.
There are two methods in the Acadia. The method you describe is used on the models that do not have the DIC. Those that do have the DIC can be reset either that way, or with the DIC button method described above. Both are described on page 401 of the owner's manual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jasper, I had no problem locating my oil filter. I don't know where you live but I live in Ft. Worth, TX and I found the AC Delco filter right down the street at O' Reilly Auto Parts. I buy two at a time. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts