GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing my oil I end putting in about 6qts to get it where I want it on the dipstick.. I know the manual says 5.5qts. I tend to open up the drain plug, remove the filter and drink a cold one :beer: before filling it back up. How much is everyone else filling up with?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do the same thing, open up the drain plug and grab a cold one...

I also ended up putting 6 quarts in to get it to the top mark (after changing oil and filter). After driving around in the afternoon, it sat for a couple of hours. When I checked the level later in the day, it was about a quarter inch over the top mark. I ended up pulling a 1/2 quart out.

My plan next time is to put 5.5 qts in, run it, check for leaks, and wait a while before verifying the level.

Bottom line, I think the 5.5qts is correct - it just takes a while for the oil to make its way down to the pan.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is too bad that GM could not make the oil pan just a little bigger so you could get 6 quarts in there.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't have my Acadia yet, but my car calls for 4.5 and I put in 5 all of the time. I don't think it hurts to add an extra 1/2 quart.

·
Registered
294 Posts
As long as the balance weights on the crankshaft do not touch the oil in the sump, it doesn't matter how much oil you put in the engine. If the weights hit the oil, it froths the oil with air bubbles -- not good. This can cause things such as oil pump cavitation (no/low oil pressure), burnt bearings, and lifter leak down. Just be careful on a vehicle without an oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Changed mine a couple weeks ago and put in 5.5 qts because that's what owner's manual said. I checked it after a short trip and it was right at the "full" mark on dipstick (during the change I let it drain for maybe 15 minutes).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts