GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the results. I don't know what to think about the high iron. OLM was at 43%. I used an AC/Delco filter. I now have in QTorque along with a NAPA Gold filter.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
How many total miles do you have and have you owned the Acadia from the start?

EDIT: Never mind about the miles; have you owned the vehicle from the start?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Chris for sure thanks for getting the UOA and posting it.

I assume you are going to sample the current Q oil at some point? Any idea when this might happen?

I wonder if one should try a different filter at some point?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vehicle was the dealership owners demo. I got it with about 7k miles.

I haven't had any problems, in fact, they didn't even do the tranny recall when I bought it! When I was changing the oil, I did notice a tranny fluid leak from below, but didn't notice any on the ground or a fluid level change.

I have no idea why the iron levels were up. I do plan on resampling to monitor them. I don't know if a filter would affect the iron levels.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Was the oil level monitored over the course of 5,483 miles.
Low or high oil levels can affect oil performance.

I just changed the oil in my lawn mower, and accidently over filled.
As I was pouring off the excess, I noticed it looked like a "latte" it had so much foam.
Needless to say, this would have definitly affected the mower's engine.

I would recommend cutting back the miles on the oil, and just using coventional,
see if the lower miles keep the iron down.
No point in wasting expensive synthetic oil on short intervals.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copperhead13 said:
Low or high oil levels can affect oil performance.

No point in wasting expensive synthetic oil on short intervals.
The oil is checked at every other gas fill and was fine through the whole change, no makeup needed and not over, I was about upper third of the normal range.

Correct, synthetic is a waste at such short intervals. The QTorque was on clearance at WalMart and was less than conventional at the time (prices have since dropped for conventional). Since I have a small supply of this and other full synthetic that was on clearance, I will just use that to get me through.

copperbeech said:
I assume you are going to sample the current Q oil at some point? Any idea when this might happen?
My plan is to keep the synthetic QTorque in for 3K miles or so. Use new oil and new NAPA Goldfilter. Run for another 3 or 4K miles and resample.

It just concerns me that the spike in iron levels so I don't know what's up. Last UOA it was OK and now it's high. Yes, it is a different brand of oil, same viscosity and API ratings. I don't expect any problems.

I have also posted this UOA on BITOG to see what their people have got to say about it.

We will just have to wait and find out....

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
copperbeech said:
Can you let us know the model # of the Napa filter which corresponds to the OEM PF48?
Looked it up online at Napa Online and got this:
Oil Filter (Gold) FIL 7060 $5.99 <--- This is the NAPA filter[/color]

Oil Filter - Mobil One MFI M1113 Available at NAPA stores. This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.

Oil Filter - K&N Filters BK 7354686 $23.09

Oil Filter (Fram) PH10060 Available at NAPA stores. This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:

Oil Filter - Mobil One MFI M1113 Available at NAPA stores. This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.
Yep! Thanks Blue..that's the one that's one now. It's supposedly made by Wix so it is a good filter.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Looked it up online at Napa Online and got this:

Oil Filter - K&N Filters BK 7354686 $23.09

Oil Filter (Fram) PH10060 Available at NAPA stores. This part can only be purchased from your local NAPA AUTO PARTS Store.
Hey Blue, That mobil 1 filter can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Auto-Zone, Oreilley and most other parts houses. The part number is the same M1-113.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I have seen the Fram filter at WalMart as well

·
Registered
484 Posts
That high iron doesn't make sense. I would definitely sample again and see where it stands. Hopefully more will get their oil sampled so we have a larger data base to collect info from and see what kind of trend these new engines set.

This analysis is also why I like to have my samples read by Terry Dyson. He has a very in depth analysis accomplished and explains every part of the analysis to you and just doesn't send an general description. His one-on-one personal analysis doesn't leave you in the dark as to what is going on and makes several suggestions as to what to do next.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
How can someone send samples to Terry?

Aircraft engines have oil samples burned for wear detection and anytime there is an unusually high reading; they ask for a re sample. The only difference is that a sample is taken and checked; whereas we are draining and changing our oil before the sample is read.

*DING IDEA* Take a sample somehow and have it analyzed prior to oil change and then if needed you could send a re sample for verification. Once new oil is put in it would be difficult to see if you had an engine issue.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Thanks; I guess I could have went to the website to answer my questions

·
Registered
484 Posts
jsimms said:
How can someone send samples to Terry?

Aircraft engines have oil samples burned for wear detection and anytime there is an unusually high reading; they ask for a re sample. The only difference is that a sample is taken and checked; whereas we are draining and changing our oil before the sample is read.

*DING IDEA* Take a sample somehow and have it analyzed prior to oil change and then if needed you could send a re sample for verification. Once new oil is put in it would be difficult to see if you had an engine issue.
You can get sample kits from Terry at http://www.dysonanalysis.com/servicelist/premiumkits.html He has fast turn around times. As well as sends a PDF report and an MP3 file explaining it to you in an e-mail. So you open up the PDF file and then listen to him go over it when you open the MP3 file that he sends.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rat407 said:
You can get sample kits from Terry at http://www.dysonanalysis.com/servicelist/premiumkits.html He has fast turn around times. As well as sends a PDF report and an MP3 file explaining it to you in an e-mail. So you open up the PDF file and then listen to him go over it when you open the MP3 file that he sends.
He does give some nice analysis and does some extra testing, but the $99 is a little steep and cost prohibitive for every UOA. Maybe if I have a continued problem with a UOA I would get a Dyson analysis, but if everything was normal (yes, I know it wasn't) I don't know if the extra bucks is worthwile for most.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts