GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10,000 miles on the Acadia, just over 4,000 on the oil. Dumped the factory fill at one thousand, ran chevron 5w30 full synthetic for 5k, then ran mobil 1 for 4k. I know I could go alot farther, but after seeing some other results from Acadias, and enclaves, I wanted to make sure everything was okay, and wanted to know that I could rely on the OLM, at least while using synthetic oil. The OLM was at 50%. I put in 5W30 goodwrench conventional at this fill to get me through the summer, and will test that when I change it at around 3k.

Anyway, M1 5w30 with acdelco PF48 filter.

Tested by Peterson Fluid Analysis (Caterpillar) Eugene OR

Miles on Fluid: 4063
Miles on Vehicle 10306

No Action Required - All aspects of this sample are normal, continue to develop/establish trend by taking frequent samples

Wear Metals (ppm)

Copper 6
Iron 12
Chrome 1
Alum 5
Silicon 9
Lead 0
Tin 0
Nickel 0
Titanium 0
Silver 0
Sodium 12
Potassium 3
Barium 0
Zinc 790
Boron 46
Calcium 2073
Phospor 675
Magnesm 18
Molybdm 130
Antimony 0

Oil Condition / Particle Count (ct/ml)

soot 0
%soot by wt 0
oxidation 21
nitration 14
sulfation 24
water n
antifreeze n
fuel n
[email protected] 10.2

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Was there a particular reason to switch back to conventional after the synthetic? I am guessing to see if there are different readings with conventional?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jsimms said:
Was there a particular reason to switch back to conventional after the synthetic? I am guessing to see if there are different readings with conventional?
I'm just kinda curious to see how the gm goodwrench oil holds up in a normal change interval..

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I wonder how much difference there really is. My neighbor drives Caravans for a messenger service - Super Tech oil throughout the life of the vehicle which is typically in excess of 350K miles.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mikemu said:
I wonder how much difference there really is. My neighbor drives Caravans for a messenger service - Super Tech oil throughout the life of the vehicle which is typically in excess of 350K miles.
I think this is the big debate. For me, it is simple. On my $30,000+ car, the difference in price of the oil is not worth me trying to figure out if the synthetic is really better or not. I'll just spend the extra for Mobil 1 and if it is better then I win.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Great point - the cost difference is not material so why not go with what you think is the best. How about the new Castrol product - Edge - pretty pricey.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I work at a GM dealer, I was just curious on how good the GM oil is. That said, after this cycle I will most likely go back to M1, go 10k per change, and not look back.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
For the cost of an oil change, not sure I'd be comfortable going 10K but who knows.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
For the cost of an oil change, not sure I'd be comfortable going 10K but who knows.
Hence the reason for sending in samples; the oil has a story to tell for someone that can read it

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oil samples tell a story for sure. This is Mobil 1 and ran for 4k miles. It is still breaking in. As for going 10k on an oil change, more samples need to be taken at least let the engine wear in some more before going the distance. Mine at 35k miles on the engine is still killing the synthetic oil and I can't go more than 4k to an oil change for now. This next sample will bring more to light. I didn't see a Total Base Number (TBN), do you know what it was? From this sample it should have been good considering the rest. Still some high wear metals but it is still breaking in. It stayed in grade at least and didn't shear.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
With my synthetic oil ensuring right filter w correct circulation & filter characters has always been mobil 1 product throughout. I found after 150,000mi on any vehicle, got same gas mileage in our cars dating back to 1975 when purchased new. Might be true with conventional oils which some claim. I change every 10K.

When you send your oil in for analysis and you know how to interpret the readings, and readings are not what it should be, do you take the car back to the dealer and say you want new engine? If the analysis received is way off base, does the analyizer, able to intrepret and suggest what is wrong to be corrected. Example: Change Air Cleaner, change oil every 3 instead of 6K, loose hose somewhere, bad intake......etc. These companies are in business to make money? If you are blowing smoke out the rear end, then I think you have a problem? IMO analysis of analysis.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
teetertotter said:
With my synthetic oil ensuring right filter w correct circulation & filter characters has always been mobil 1 product throughout. I found after 150,000mi on any vehicle, got same gas mileage in our cars dating back to 1975 when purchased new. Might be true with conventional oils which some claim. I change every 10K.

When you send your oil in for analysis and you know how to interpret the readings, and readings are not what it should be, do you take the car back to the dealer and say you want new engine? If the analysis received is way off base, does the analyizer, able to intrepret and suggest what is wrong to be corrected. Example: Change Air Cleaner, change oil every 3 instead of 6K, loose hose somewhere, bad intake......etc. These companies are in business to make money? If you are blowing smoke out the rear end, then I think you have a problem? IMO analysis of analysis.
You make a good point; I guess it's knowing that something may be wrong instead of it being a surprise when a piston gets thrown

1 - 14 of 14 Posts