GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reporting this second hand from a reliable friend.

A friend of mine was driving from Columbus, OH, to Northern VA this week and got stopped by an Ohio State Trooper in an Acadia! Fully marked as Ohio State Police, southeastern Ohio on I-70. He received a warning but since he's very enamored with my Acadia, he had a long conversation with the trooper about the vehicle. He's crazy for HUD and the trooper had it in addition to the official radar. I almost expected him to have gotten the trooper to let him test drive it!

Apparently, state police in Ohio have to purchase their own vehicles. Not only did my friend say that the trooper loved his Acadia, but that it caught him in his Lexus with no problem.

After he finished with the trooper, he reported that he saw 3 more Acadia troopers! Saw several again on his return trip to Columbus on Thursday.

I wish he'd taken pictures!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, just when I finally placed my order for an Acadia, I find out that the state troopers in my state are driving the same SUV :angryfire:

Any idea what color they were? I'm getting white -- the last thing I want to look like is a state trooper.....gee I wonder if I can cancel my order and get my deposit back! ::)

·
Registered
70 Posts
:ditto:seriously! I wonder if they have any after market upgrades to help speed things up? if not, with a 0-60 over 8.5, you're really not catching much! :p

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
baseballmom94 said:
Any idea what color they were? I'm getting white -- the last thing I want to look like is a state trooper.....gee I wonder if I can cancel my order and get my deposit back! ::)
Yes, they are white.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mscappa said:
:ditto:seriously! I wonder if they have any after market upgrades to help speed things up? if not, with a 0-60 over 8.5, you're really not catching much! :p
Don't know about alternate engine or performance changes. I'll have him ask the next time he gets pulled over! He's a notorious speeder.

To the question of ability to catch speeders, he noted that the Acadia had no problem whatsoever. Additionally, there were several that had pulled over speeders. I have a feeling that it does just fine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't think any police department thinks about high speed chases anymore. They have these fancy things called radios and they are way faster than any car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Not to mention helicopters if the budget of the particular force can afford it. Besides would you really try to get away with the face of the Acadia barreling down on you...flashing lights and all? 99% of the offenders will pull over immediately regardless of the type of cruiser the Police have.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I live in Columbus and work for the state, but I've not seen any. 95% of the Ohio Highway Patrol vehicles are Crown Victorias, but they keep some SUV's in the fleet for winter use. I've seen Yukons and Expeditions, so I guess the Acadia makes sense.

All Ohio government departments acquire their vehicles through state purchasing. We got a new fleet of Impalas and Uplanders this year, so they may be using a GM dealer as their lowest bidder.

If I were a Trooper, I'd be pretty happy about spending my work day in an Acadia. :cheers: Erik

·
Registered
956 Posts
Generally police departments do not like fwd vehicles. I'm sure there are many reasons, but the one I've heard is that fwd componets are not as durable as rwd cars. It is believed that fwd will not stand up to the abuse of police work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll take mine in blue and gray! (SLT-2 AWD) It sure would beat the Crown Vic for comfort. I don't think we could get it past our fleet maintenance supervisor though. Maybe my wife would let me put blue lights in hers. Or maybe the SS? ???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts