GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the car up on a rack Thursday, getting the front tow bar mounts installed (we tow our Acdia behind our motorhome). Noticed some dampness around the seam between the transaxle and the engine. Looked closer and sure enough, it is leaking tranny fluid. Not much, but a steady seepage. Checked the carport floor when we got home and can see the evidence there too., so it has been happening for at least several days. Sigh. Made an appointment with the dealer for Monday to check it out (and get the air bad recall taken care of as well). What a bummer. We don't have another vehicle either (besides the 40 foot monster, that is) and the Service Manager said "we can fix you up with a rental". Humpf. I am not going to be a happy camper if I have to pay to rent a car for a couple days while they fix this one. Looks to me like the engine will have to be pulled to be able to get the pieces apart to insert a gasket, if that is what it takes. Well, no since borrowing trouble - will have to see what the verdict is come Monday.

Meanwhile, the rest of you might want to check for any sign of fluid leaks at the bottom of the engine, on the driver's side.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sometimes happens. Completely different vehicle, but our '04 Suburban developed a random tranny leak around 15k which turned out to be a pinched seal. Dealer had it in and out immediately, and all has been fine since.

If a seal somewhere just gets off by a hair, there can be an issue, but it's pretty rare. I wouldn't expect them to have to do anything as major as pulling the engine, maybe the tranny, but it all depends. This is usually something pretty basic for a dealer service department, though, so hopefully it's quick and painless for you.

·
Registered
487 Posts
GaryB said:
Had the car up on a rack Thursday, getting the front tow bar mounts installed (we tow our Acdia behind our motorhome). Noticed some dampness around the seam between the transaxle and the engine. Looked closer and sure enough, it is leaking tranny fluid. Not much, but a steady seepage. Checked the carport floor when we got home and can see the evidence there too., so it has been happening for at least several days. Sigh. Made an appointment with the dealer for Monday to check it out (and get the air bad recall taken care of as well). What a bummer. We don't have another vehicle either (besides the 40 foot monster, that is) and the Service Manager said "we can fix you up with a rental". Humpf. I am not going to be a happy camper if I have to pay to rent a car for a couple days while they fix this one. Looks to me like the engine will have to be pulled to be able to get the pieces apart to insert a gasket, if that is what it takes. Well, no since borrowing trouble - will have to see what the verdict is come Monday.

Meanwhile, the rest of you might want to check for any sign of fluid leaks at the bottom of the engine, on the driver's side.
I wouldn't think you would have to pay for the rental, I think he probably just meant they will give you a car out of the Rental Fleet. If they do charge you go talk the either your sales person or the sales manager and have them take care of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should not have to pay for a rental car. Bad seals are covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty which includes courtesy transportation.

·
Registered
183 Posts
saturnjack said:
You should not have to pay for a rental car. Bad seals are covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty which includes courtesy transportation.
I agree, you should be taken care of w/r/t the rental or other transportation.

fwiw, I've had the same problem on both an Audi and an Olds....sometimes seals are just a little off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bummer, though, when I had not even turned 1000 miles at the time. They will tear down and replace transaxle seals and housing next week when parts come in. Fortunately the car is driveable. Sales promised to provide a car if service does not for any reason.

I was under the impression that courtesy transport kicked in if they keep the vehicle overnight. But they probably will in this case anyway - it's a lengthy job.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It took two full days in the shop but I got my tranny leak fixed. GMC paid for a rental car. Also got all four pending campaigns taken care of while it was in there. Shifting seems a bit more lively, though I can't pinpoint any specific difference.

The dealer is 65 miles away, so we towed the Acadia behind our motorhome and stayed in a nearby campground while we waited. That's our second round trip towing the car and it seems to like 4-down towing just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts