GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just bought a 2021 Acadia about 2 weeks ago. It's a good A to B family vehicle. I took advantage of the current truck market resale value craziness and traded my wife's Yukon for this Acadia. Anyway, got a ridiculously good deal and signed the line. Fast forward to now and here's what I have experienced so far:

1. Every time I start up the vehicle I get a navi error in regards to the SD card.
20210529_171757.jpg 20210529_171745.jpg

2. Started up the vehicle Saturday morning and went to clear out the navi/sd card stuff and the touch screen doesn't respond to touch. Now I have to use the use the turn dial switches to navigate the infotainment screen. That is very annoying.

3. Found out mine is part of the new fuel line recall.

4. The breaks/ABS system sounds terrible on this thing. I didn't notice anything until about 600 miles but its loud. Moderate deceleration sounds like its got a bad wheel bearing or something. I've never had a vehicle that had its breaks sound like this. I was reading a thread on here and it sounds like it's a known issue with the '21s I guess...

Needless to say the dealership I got it from has some work to do. I'm not really upset as I am disappointed. But hopefully everything will be fixed in a timely manner. It does drive nice and the 3.6l engine with the 9 speed seems like its got plenty of powertrain for the vehicle. It eats up highway miles and gets acceptable gas mileage. Seats are comfortable and the interior overall is decent for the price range. I like the features it offers and it hauls my 3 kids around with ease. I actually quite like the look of the front end.. Very "truck-ish". I did get the 20s with Michelins and they drive great. I wish we could have gotten off to a better start but hopefully GMC will make it right.

So far I've added the GMC all weather liners, Curt hitch reciever (PITA to install), tinted the front driver and passenger windows (30% 3M IR ceramic) and had the windshield done as well (70%) with sun strip. Lastly, I ceramic coated it with Adam's Ceramic coating. It beads water like crazy.

Once the issues I mentioned above are resolved I plan to add the splash guards and possibly the OEM running boards to help my kids with getting in and out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for sharing this info. Please keep us posted what happens. We have a 2017 Acadia (with the less truck-like front), and we really like it. I have not experienced the issues you have mentioned.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for sharing this info. Please keep us posted what happens. We have a 2017 Acadia (with the less truck-like front), and we really like it. I have not experienced the issues you have mentioned.
I definitely will. I bought this vehicle for transporting kids and going to work. Not exactly what I'd consider a "fun" vehicle. My intention is to pay it off and save up for something that is fun. Same goes for the VW Tiguan I traded my F150 for (same logic, crazy resale value so I cashed in while I could).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could try removing the SD card and reinstalling it. It is in a slot next to the USB ports. Should be spring loaded, Just push on it and it will pop out. Push back in to lock it. Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try removing the SD card and reinstalling it. It is in a slot next to the USB ports. Should be spring loaded, Just push on it and it will pop out. Push back in to lock it. Hopefully this helps.
Already tried that actually.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Small update: I'm pretty certain that the brakes are fine. I think the noise i was experiencing was related to the salt water in the air from parking relatively close to the beach for a few days. As soon as I got a good rain and away from the beach the brakes now sound normal. Still kinda crazy I was getting the crazy grinding sound from it. The rotors weren't visually rusty or anything. Oh well, I'm not gonna waste the service techs time with looking at them. Gonna call tomorrow to get scheduled to bring it in for the other issues though.

(mod edit: "breaks" to brakes)

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Acadia to the dealership. The Service Adviser didn't seem to worried about having to keep the vehicle for too long. He said most likely it will be a software update for the infotainment screen and the Navi errors I'm getting. He said he has seen this before. I'm hoping the fuel lines are good and won't need replacing with the recall. They gave me a Chevy Equinox. Nice little CUV. GM has really improved their small vehicle game. Might have it back by the end of the day.... we'll see. If the infotainment screen needs replaced that's gonna SUCK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mkelly11....I too have been somewhat disappointed with my 2021 Acadia SLT V6 after only 600 miles on the odometer. I have not been able to get to my dealer as of yet, but here are a list of my concerns:

1) Instrument cluster and infotainment screen went completely dark while driving home one night. I pulled off the road until it did eventually come back on....This is of great concern as I don't know when it will reoccur.

2) Parking sensors do not beep or beep intermittently with very low volume, as i approach very closely to a wall or obstacle while parking.

3) Driving mirror does not fold in entirely when activating. Actually, even the passenger side doesn't fold in completely, but more than the driver's side.

4) The fit and finish (especially with interior) is somewhat disappointing, but I'm not totally surprised.

5) Parking brake light comes on sporadically even on totally level surface. I've read this has been an issue with other 2021 Acadia owners.

6) Not sure if this is an issue...shouldn't the infotainment screen's brightness decrease during the evening? The brightness is quite distracting. Both of my other cars transition to a darker screen during the evening.

I plan on getting the car to the dealership soon. Other than these items....I too got a ridiculously great deal on this car. The car accelerates really well, with a very comfortable seating position and ride. To be continued.....

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Mkelly11....I too have been somewhat disappointed with my 2021 Acadia SLT V6 after only 600 miles on the odometer. I have not been able to get to my dealer as of yet, but here are a list of my concerns:

1) Instrument cluster and infotainment screen went completely dark while driving home one night. I pulled off the road until it did eventually come back on....This is of great concern as I don't know when it will reoccur.

2) Parking sensors do not beep or beep intermittently with very low volume, as i approach very closely to a wall or obstacle while parking.

3) Driving mirror does not fold in entirely when activating. Actually, even the passenger side doesn't fold in completely, but more than the driver's side.

4) Instrument cluster and infotainment screen went completely dark while driving home one night. I pulled off the road until it did eventually come back on....This is of great concern as I don't know when it will reoccur.

5) The fit and finish (especially with interior) is somewhat disappointing, but I'm not totally surprised.

6) Parking brake light comes on sporadically even on totally level surface. I've read this has been an issue with other 2021 Acadia owners.

7) Not sure if this is an issue...shouldn't the infotainment screen's brightness decrease during the evening? The brightness is quite distracting. Both of my other cars transition to a darker screen during the evening.

I plan on getting the car to the dealership soon. Other than these items....I too got a ridiculously great deal on this car. The car accelerates really well, with a very comfortable seating position and ride. To be continued.....
I agree that the interior fit and finish is not what I would call "Professional Grade" but its a 35k CUV with leather and ventilated seats so they gotta cut cost somewhere. It is a pretty "feature heavy" vehicle for the price though. The arm rest trim plastics make noise and feel cheap but again, not surprised. I too have noticed the electronic parking brake activating randomly. I've been loading stuff in the car and heard it activating. (Kinda sounds like a fuel pump priming the system when you open the driver door.) My driveway is relatively flat where I park the Acadia and it activates sometimes. If it becomes a bigger PITA later I'll address it with the dealer. The brightness of of the infotainment and gauge cluster should dim when the headlights cut on. There is a toggle to the left (I believe) of the steering wheel that allows you to adjust the brightness when the headlights cut on. I actually had to dim mine some as the infotainment screen was too bright for night driving.

I do quite like the powertrain (V6 + 9speed) and the chassis tuning. It just eats up highway miles and you can get from A to B quite comfortably. The exterior looks and design are more "manly" and it has one of the best front end designs out there. I like it more and more as I get more seat time in it. It's a near perfect kid hauler too. There is more to like than dislike and if you can get one at a good price it's worth it IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree that cost cut measures had to be taken as are with many manufacturers...with the Acadia, it's the interior. I too love the V6 with more than ample acceleration. I would have preferred the 6 speed transmission, but once again the industry is going with more gears to keep up with fuel economy standards. The transmission at times does seem to "hunt" for the right gear, but it's not been a big issue. I originally was looking at a Highlander, but the difference in the pricing was substantial....and Toyota dealers were not willing to negotiate with a $50,000+ car. The ride of the Acadia happens to be quieter than the Highlander with way less wind noise. Hopefully, the issues will be resolved at my next dealer visit. I'll also need to find out if my car is part of the fuel line recall.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree that cost cut measures had to be taken as are with many manufacturers...with the Acadia, it's the interior. I too love the V6 with more than ample acceleration. I would have preferred the 6 speed transmission, but once again the industry is going with more gears to keep up with fuel economy standards. The transmission at times does seem to "hunt" for the right gear, but it's not been a big issue. I originally was looking at a Highlander, but the difference in the pricing was substantial....and Toyota dealers were not willing to negotiate with a $50,000+ car. The ride of the Acadia happens to be quieter than the Highlander with way less wind noise. Hopefully, the issues will be resolved at my next dealer visit. I'll also need to find out if my car is part of the fuel line recall.
I came from a 10 speed F150 so the gear hunting isn't really an issue for me. I think the 9 speed does a pretty decent job of being in the right gear. The V6 has pretty good top end power and a pretty good engine noise for a V6. I've had to put my foot in it a few times on the highway and was surprised by it. The 9 speed is quite smooth too. Another nice thing about the Acadia is all the use of LED's. I love that it has LED headlights, fogs, tail lights, ect... I usually have to buy a bunch of LED bulbs and convert what I want to convert from halogen to LED but not with this car, it's already done for me. They are not as bright as I'd like but definitely way way better than standard halogens.

The Highlander is just too ugly for me so it was a no go from the beginning.

OnStar actually notified me that my vehicle was under the recall which is cool.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
...here are a list of my concerns:
4) The fit and finish (especially with interior) is somewhat disappointing, but I'm not totally surprised.
5) Parking brake light comes on sporadically even on totally level surface. I've read this has been an issue with other 2021 Acadia owners.
6) Not sure if this is an issue...shouldn't the infotainment screen's brightness decrease during the evening? The brightness is quite distracting. Both of my other cars transition to a darker screen during the evening.
Interesting... my findings 2 years into my '19:
1, 2, 3, 5) Never yet had any issues with any electronics. But then mine is an SLE, so much less to go wrong.
4) I'd call the fit and finish on my '19 top notch. The seat fabric is different (cloth, not a fan of leather)... but the dash, door panels, radio, trim and all are very well done IMO.
6) There's probably an adjustment/option for this in your DIC

Reactions: Bocatrip

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually came from a 2019 Acadia SLT V6 (16,000 miles) which had no electronic issues whatsoever. Yes, the fit and finish was somewhat better as well. To be fair, the 2021 has a lot more safety features etc.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've also noticed that the "Active Fuel Management" isn't nearly as aggressive as the AFM on my previous 2017 Yukon. The Acadia is almost never in V4 mode, which is fine by me. I hope Range+ comes out with an OBDii port disabler for the Acadia so I can turn it off completely (hopefully it will have a disabler for the Auto Start/Stop junk too) . I am glad to see that GMC didn't program it so aggressive that it is always trying to go into V4 mode, it really makes the vehicle feel sluggish to respond. IMO it's a stupid technology that only adds complexity with very little actual gain in MPG (same can be said with the Auto Start/Stop).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've also noticed that the "Active Fuel Management" isn't nearly as aggressive as the AFM on my previous 2017 Yukon. The Acadia is almost never in V4 mode, which is fine by me. I hope Range+ comes out with an OBDii port disabler for the Acadia so I can turn it off completely (hopefully it will have a disabler for the Auto Start/Stop junk too) . I am glad to see that GMC didn't program it so aggressive that it is always trying to go into V4 mode, it really makes the vehicle feel sluggish to respond. IMO it's a stupid technology that only adds complexity with very little actual gain in MPG (same can be said with the Auto Start/Stop).
Same feelings on both!
Beyond glad my Acadia doesn't have start/stop, as that IMO is the most aggravating "option" to operate a vehicle with. Don't think I could buy one that wasn't able to be permanently disabled.
AFM... I emailed Range just after buying my car. They said the Acadia wouldn't work with the AFM disabler (yet a Colorado will?). Perhaps one day. I told a friend I wished they made one for my car. "You mean you'd pay money to get worse gas mileage?" "Yes! Yes I would"

Reactions: mkelly11

·
Registered
2021 GMC Acadia SLT, 3.6
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same feelings on both!
Beyond glad my Acadia doesn't have start/stop, as that IMO is the most aggravating "option" to operate a vehicle with. Don't think I could buy one that wasn't able to be permanently disabled.
AFM... I emailed Range just after buying my car. They said the Acadia wouldn't work with the AFM disabler (yet a Colorado will?). Perhaps one day. I told a friend I wished they made one for my car. "You mean you'd pay money to get worse gas mileage?" "Yes! Yes I would"
I will say that the A.S.S. system isn't as aggressive as my F150's was but it still sucks to have to disable every time I get in. **** EPA is ruining the driver's experience.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Same feelings on both!
I can verify that the Range AFM eliminator won't "properly" work in our 2019 Acadias.
It works fine in my 2017 Colorado with the similar LGX 3.6L engine.

When installed in the Acadia, it works . . . mostly. But at certain road speeds and conditions, it has some anomalous behavior.

For instance, when cruising about 40 to 45 MPH going up slight grades or small hills, the transmission would "hunt" quickly up and down between gears and shift up-down-up-down - - - and therefore lurch each time it did.

Not a good thing. I only tried it on a few test drives over 3 days, and tried it on city, rural and interstate driving speeds and conditions. When traveling at speeds under 40MPH or over 50MPH it seemed to work fine. It only did the "hunting" at about 40 to 45 MPH as I indicated.

But clearly, the Acadia did not function properly with the Range AFM eliminator.

There may have been other issues, but I did not pursue it any further than to try it and see how it did behave.

And, BTW, I just made a 734 mile round trip over 2 days in my Colorado with the Range installed. It had no appreciable effect on the MPG. I had a full tank when leaving and filled up after driving 300 miles. That netted 26.5 MPG and the remaining 434 miles on the return netted 27.3 MPG.
This was driving 80% of miles on interstate highway at 70 to 72 MPH and the rest on state roads at 55 to 60 MPH.

That said, in the past the Colorado (without the Range installed) rarely went into AFM (4 cylinder mode) very often especially at highway speeds. My 2019 Acadia goes into AFM quite often.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Hopefully Range+ will get on the ball and produce one for us.
The Colorado has the 8L45 eight speed transmission, my 2019 Acadia has the 6T70 six speed and the latest 2020-21 Acadia have the 9 speed.

So shifting and AFM programing are all likely different. Hopefully if there is enough demand Range will respond.

Reactions: Grantv and mkelly11

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Colorado has the 8L45 eight speed transmission, my 2019 Acadia has the 6T70 six speed and the latest 2020-21 Acadia have the 9 speed.
So shifting and AFM programing are all likely different. Hopefully if there is enough demand Range will respond.
Honestly I'm not surprised that the unit for the Colorado didn't work considering a different transmission and all. Too bad, I was curious if it would...
OP, did you get the remainder of your issues fixed?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts