GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did some off roading this past weekend. No stump jumping or anything like that...just very steep inclines on loose gravel. I have the AWD. I could not believe how responsive this system is. The front tire never slipped. And there is no way any FWD only vehicle could have made it up those steep hills.

I have driven AWD systems from Acura, Ford and Nissan...the GM system is the smoothest, most accurate system I've experienced.

Anyone else really put the AWD system through it's paces where a FWD would have fallen far behind?

Reactions: Garrison

·
Registered
123 Posts
Awesome. I just bought an older Jeep Wrangler for that kind of stuff. I'm afraid stones or debris would mess up the chrome of the Acadia. The AWD is great though and can't wait to try it in the snow.

·
Registered
405 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
164 Posts
RedRocker said:
Did some off roading this past weekend. No stump jumping or anything like that...just very steep inclines on loose gravel. I have the AWD. I could not believe how responsive this system is. The front tire never slipped. And there is no way any FWD only vehicle could have made it up those steep hills.

I have driven AWD systems from Acura, Ford and Nissan...the GM system is the smoothest, most accurate system I've experienced.

Anyone else really put the AWD system through it's paces where a FWD would have fallen far behind?
I've used mine a few times for prairie dog hunting and the AWD is nice insurance. But it has too little clearance and wheel travel. Reverse is geared too high if you get it in a bad spot...low range would fix that. The Acadia can't be compared to a real 4X4 but you can go slower with the AWD where you'd have to take a run and bounce a FWD to get around.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i wonder if it would be worth to raise the shocks a bit to get better clearence

Reactions: Garrison

·
Registered
164 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
i wonder if it would be worth to raise the shocks a bit to get better clearence
Shocks do nothing to raise or hold a car up.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I mean jack it up with big tires big shocks and heavy duty coils.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spent a week with mine on the beach at the Outer Banks. The good news is I never got it stuck. However, the lack of ground clearance caused me to plow a lot of sand with the undercarriage. When I got home I got a 5 gallon bucket full of sand out of the frame rails in the front and I am not sure that I got it all out. The other thing I learned is to turn the traction control off. I knew that I was going to have to do that, but one time I forgot. I was driving in some very deep dry sand and was losing speed so I tried to add power to keep from bogging down. At one point I had the gas pedal to the floor, was moving at about 10 mph and continuing to lose speed. Once I realized that my traction control was working and turned it off, I was able to proceed without any problems. All in all I would say it did well, but would be much better if it had a little more ground clearance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My concern about too much offroading is the front end. The CV joints can really take a pounding and that will most likely shorten their lifespan. Front drive was just never designed to be much of an offroad system.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It's a CUV not an SUV, if you guys/girls want ground clearance buy a Tahoe/Yukon. :beer: :banghead:

·
Registered
164 Posts
mikiek said:
My concern about too much offroading is the front end. The CV joints can really take a pounding and that will most likely shorten their lifespan. Front drive was just never designed to be much of an offroad system.
The Acadia is definitely not an off road vehicle. Little confused about the CV joint quip as the 1/2 ton...3/4 ton and ton GMC 4X4's all have CV joints in the front diff. ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts