GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking in the forum for some time now, doing my research on the Acadia. My wife and I are looking for a replacement for our 97 Honda CR-V. We love just about everything about the Acadia but I have one major concern. Every year we take a camping trip to a rather remote place in Idaho where the roads go from pavement to gravel to dirt with largish rocks. To get to our campsite we even have to ford a small creek. We go with several other cars and about one tire gets popped on someone's car every other year due to sharp rocks. The CRV never had any problem with this trip and the AWD on that car almost never kicked it. I read that the AWD on the Acadia is really more for wet pavement traction and not really for offroad. Given all this, do any of you have experience driving your acadia off the beaten path? How did it do? Do you think I should look for something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the CRV was ever rated for off-road use either. So if you did OK in that, I wouldn't think you'd have trouble with the Acadia.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you go slow and the rocks are not too big I doubt you will have a problem. The traction should be fine, but this is not for deep sand or boulder hopping. There are no skid plates and the tires are road tires, not off road. How wide are the roads because the Acadia is a wide vehicle. The Acadia is not meant to be a four wheeler, but with caution I think a rocky dirt road will be ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. Width should not be an issue as the roads are most commonly traveled by trucks. I guess I am most concerned about ground clearance, the long wheel base and approach angle. These are all "worse" for this type of driving as compared to my CRV. I also have a minor concern about the AWD. The road is not rock hopping,but I do need to go down into,and out of, dry and wet creek beds.

Has anyone actually driven their Acadia off-road?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I drove mine around the back of the house to drop off the lumber for the shed. :)

Unless you were pushing the CRV to the limit, I would think that the difference in clearance would not be a big deal. The 1997 CRV shows 8.1 in of clearance compared to the Acadia's 7.4 in. But if the ground was coming within 1/2' of the CRV, then you will have trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts