GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I got my transmission flash, it seems my miles on the car we recording 2 for every 1 mile. We had the car 5 months now and it has over 11k miles on it. We did not travel anywhere except for local travel. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, we should complain to GM, we have overstated miles on our cars which lowers their value.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The transmission flash requires a flash to two separate modules. If they don't both get flashed your mileage will either read 2X reality or 1/2 reality. This can easily be fixed by getting both modules flashed.

As for your mileage. It's hard for me to imagine not noticing this within the first drive off the dealer lot, so for most people that this has happend to, the extra few miles wouldn't really matter. I don't think the dealer can do anything with your mileage so that one might be a sticky situation for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mikekusa said:
Before I got my transmission flash, it seems my miles on the car we recording 2 for every 1 mile. We had the car 5 months now and it has over 11k miles on it. We did not travel anywhere except for local travel. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, we should complain to GM, we have overstated miles on our cars which lowers their value.
That's funny because I thought the same thing. I've put nearly 20K on my Acadia in less than a year... that's about 5K more than usual. However... I checked the odometer using the mile markers along the interstate and it checks out. I figure I'm just enjoying the ride.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Mike, you say that this was happening before your had the trans flashed? I'm wondering if for some reason the dealer mistakenly flashed one of the modules (ECM or TCM) before you bought it, for example during the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) process or for a previous owner if you didn't buy it new. Like GAR posted, this would cause the funky odometer readings. If this is the case, it can be corrected. This service document is pretty big, I just posted the first part of it....

#07274: Customer Satisfaction - Transmission Software and Calibration Update - (Nov 2, 2007)

Subject: 07274 -- Transmission Software and Calibration Update

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-08 GMC Acadia
2007-08 Saturn Outlook
2008 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2007-08 model year GMC Acadia; Saturn Outlook; and 2008 model year Buick Enclave; Saturn Aura model vehicles were incorrectly reprogrammed by dealers/retailers in normal service and under Customer Satisfaction Program 07217A and Service Update 07235A. The TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ECM (Engine Control Module) both must be reprogrammed with the updated software for correct odometer operation. GM TIS2Web Service Programming System records indicate some vehicles have had only one of the modules reprogrammed, causing incorrect odometer function if the vehicle is driven. Attached to the Administrative Message (US) / Dealer Communication (Canada), used to release this bulletin, is a list, in BAC (US) / Dealer Code (Canada) sequence, of those vehicles which only had one module reprogrammed and which our records indicate are still in your inventory.

Correction
Dealers/Retailers are to reprogram the stock vehicles listed using the Programming Sequence procedure to assure that both the ECM and TCM have the updated software. Vehicles which have accumulated mileage with only one of the modules updated must be programmed using the Programming Sequence and must also have the vehicle odometer reading corrected using the service procedure detailed in this bulletin.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Vehicles which have accumulated mileage with only one of the modules updated must be programmed using the Programming Sequence and must also have the vehicle odometer reading corrected using the service procedure detailed in this bulletin.[/b]

On another note, then couldn't someone theoretically turn back the odometer on a car later on, and change the actual and correct mileage?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
bonk1313 said:
GeoHawk said:
Vehicles which have accumulated mileage with only one of the modules updated must be programmed using the Programming Sequence and must also have the vehicle odometer reading corrected using the service procedure detailed in this bulletin.[/b]

On another note, then couldn't someone theoretically turn back the odometer on a car later on, and change the actual and correct mileage?
Yes.

I've had 3 different gauge clusters put in my '03 Silverado (long story ::)). Each time the dealer programmed the odometer reading into the cluster. I don't know what safeguards are in place to prevent unscrupulous techs from altering odometers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A co-worker of mine has an Acadia as well. He had the exact same problem, recording 2 miles for every 1. The dealer fixed the problem AND set back the mileage. How they did this...I don't know...but they did. I think he noticed it around 1k though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
GeoHawk said:
bonk1313 said:
GeoHawk said:

Yes.

I've had 3 different gauge clusters put in my '03 Silverado (long story ::)). Each time the dealer programmed the odometer reading into the cluster. I don't know what safeguards are in place to prevent unscrupulous techs from altering odometers.
There's actually a complicated check procedure in place to ensure the odometer reading is not tampered with. Suffice to say, the reflash requires the dealer to contact GM service central to get authorization codes to do it, hence why the reflashes can't be done on a weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts