GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a strange listing on an Acadia we're considering. I was under the impression that if a vehicle didn't include the Visibility package (park assist and backup camera), that the rearview mirror was the photochromatic/dimming version. However, the one we are looking at had the following listed:

DD8 - INSIDE REARVIEW W/REAR CAMERA DISPLAY

It does not have the full Visibility package. I'm wondering if this simply means it somehow was built with the mirror and is "camera ready?" Very strange. Any insights are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think that all SLT2's come with backup camera displayed in the rearview mirror.

If you get the navigation system, then you lose the camera displaying mirror, and get the dimming one.

This is my impression from what was discussed when this option first came out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the 2009 SLE with has the rearview mirror with camera code DD8. I also have the ultrasonic rear parking assist which is code UD7. Also the visibility package which is PCI.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so you guys think the camera is included in the DD8 option? I wasn't sure if it was just the "camera ready mirror" and the camera wasn't included (it's an '09 SLT1).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not sure. I would check with dealer or better yet gm to see if the camera comes with just DD8. Or someone that has DD8 and just the mirror with camera might show up on the site. What I am trying to say is maybe DD8 is automatic with PCI or something. Dont take it for granted like I did with heated mirrors on SLE and find out they are not there.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
My question would be; why would they install a camera ready mirror if there isn't a camera installed? They could always put in the auto dimming mirror on those vehicles without cameras. The camera (if installed) is mounted just above the license plate on the right side of the license plate well.

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
Isn't that just what we need? More options to create more distractions for more drivers!

If thermo-nuclear war won't decrease the surplus population, driving on our highways while everyone is looking out back, trying to figure out where they are, and yakking on the phone while texting sure ought to do it!
:banghead:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Isn't that just what we need? More options to create more distractions for more drivers!

If thermo-nuclear war won't decrease the surplus population, driving on our highways while everyone is looking out back, trying to figure out where they are, and yakking on the phone while texting sure ought to do it!
:banghead:
I don't think it's a distraction; you only use it when you are in reverse

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
jsimms said:
I don't think it's a distraction; you only use it when you are in reverse
Wanna bet? I use the one on the 'W' every so often to check on my trailer and the load I'm hauling while going down the road.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
speleos said:
Wanna bet? I use the one on the 'W' every so often to check on my trailer and the load I'm hauling while going down the road.
I thought the Acadia camera only works when the vehicle is in reverse.

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I thought the Acadia camera only works when the vehicle is in reverse.
Even if the General built it that way, some mod freaks would figure out a way to bypass the 'reverse only' feature!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
speleos said:
First you moan about it being a distraction, then give a prime example of it's utility.... ::)... (and on the '09 Acadias, the standard/unmodded camera does indeed only work in reverse).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
speleos said:
Even if the General built it that way, some mod freaks would figure out a way to bypass the 'reverse only' feature!
Already been done. The Coasteletech lockpick lets you turn it on at any time :thumb:.

I usually only do so to demonstrate it to other passengers, as I haven't had occasion to tow anything yet.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
speleos said:
Even if the General built it that way, some mod freaks[/color] would figure out a way to bypass the 'reverse only' feature!
Whatchutalking 'bout Willis? :)

True freaks would hook up a digital camcorder into the feed and then...

I looked in the option guide I downloaded last year for the 2009 models, and it says this for DD8:
DD8 Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
1 - Included and only available in (PCI) Visibility Package.

It shows as "1" for the SLE and included as standard equipment on the SLT models.

I also found this:
DD8/UVC Rearview camera system, integrated into rearview mirror
1 - Included and only available with (PCI) Visibility Package.
2 - Included with (PCI) Visibility Package or if (PCJ) Visibility and Direction Package is ordered, camera will be integrated into navigation display. With (U42) rear seat DVD entertainment system, navigation radio will be (UZR) AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation. Without (U42) rear seat DVD entertainment system, navigation radio will be (U3R) AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD player and DVD-based navigation.
3 - If navigation radio is ordered, camera will be integrated into navigation display. With (U42) rear seat DVD entertainment system, navigation radio will be (UZR) AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation. Without (U42) rear seat DVD entertainment system, navigation radio will be (U3R) AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD player and DVD-based navigation.
SLE= Available "1", SLT1= Available "2" SLT2= Standard "3"

Further reading showed the PCI package was available on the SLE, standard on the SLT2, and "Not available with (PCJ) Visibility and Directions Package" on the SLT1.

Clear as mud? It may be easier to read the tax code. :(

Strange options do take place on occasion- a dealer here in FL had two 2008 SLT1 models with the nav included and on the window sticker- supposed to be SLT2 only by 2008 options.

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
mtnbound said:
First you moan about it being a distraction, then give a prime example of it's utility.... ::)... (and on the '09 Acadias, the standard/unmodded camera does indeed only work in reverse).
Not moaning about the camera, dude, only the boneheads who would abuse it! And you can't deny that someone might abuse it and kill an innocent driver, biker or pedestrian while intently watching what he has already passed by. And that, fellow Acadia owner, is the point!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Not moaning about the camera, dude, only the boneheads who would abuse it! And you can't deny that someone might abuse it and kill an innocent driver, biker or pedestrian while intently watching what he has already passed by. And that, fellow Acadia owner, is the point!
This is the exact reason why the system normally works in R only; the modders have figured out a way to bypass shifter position; with that said the wrong person could end up hurting someone with this mod

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
jsimms said:
with that said the wrong person [/color] could end up hurting someone with this mod
Aw hell, I was going to say something about gun control here, but maybe not!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
Aw hell, I was going to say something about gun control here, but maybe not!
I'm trying to keep this thread on track and you want to talk guns; I like the mod idea for the backup camera, but in the wrong hands it could go bad if someone hurt another person while using it inappropriately

·
Super Moderator
22,593 Posts
jsimms said:
I'm trying to keep this thread on track and you want to talk guns; I like the mod idea for the backup camera, but in the wrong hands it could go bad if someone hurt another person while using it inappropriately
true, jsimms. But why even offer a rear view camera on these 'tiny' vehicles. Technology is a good thing - sometimes it goes a bit too far and makes us lazy AND dangerous.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I too have seen a car spec'd with DD8 but not with PCI.

So do we think that means the camera works on that model?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts