GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a single "thunk" noise from the front of the vehicle sometimes when I drive. It often happens after reversing to the left out of the garage and then turning right to proceed down the street. Shortly after advancing to the right there is a "thunk" noise. It also does it sometimes when just driving, though a steering wheel adjustment always preceeds it. I have taken it to the dealer and he drove it around for a few minutes. It did it once, but he missed the noise (probably because he wasn't wearing his safety belt and the ding ding safety belt noise was continually going). He told me to keep and ear out for it and bring it back if it got worse. Said he thought it was just new car noise that will work itself out. Does this sound reasonable? New car noise? I plan on bringing it back in a few days as it continues and I am concerned. Could any of those recalls explain this?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Could be the Anti-locking Brake Systems doing it's self check:

From Owner's Manual, page 335:

Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)
Your vehicle has the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), an advanced electronic braking system that will help prevent a braking skid. When you start the engine and begin to drive away, ABS will check itself. You might hear
a momentary motor or clicking noise while this test is going on, and you might even notice that the
brake pedal moves a little. This is normal.[/color]002

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah don't you hate those new car noises, did you give he have a "STUPID" sign on. I've heard of old car noises, it's probably something in the suspension, I have the same sort of thing you described in my Grand Am but I gave up bringing it to the dealer and will just trade it in on an Acadia hopefully without the clunk. Anyways I probably didn't help much, I would just keep bringing it back until they fix it or try a different dealership.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hear it on my Pilot. Every time... happens when pressing the brakes at the first stop sign after backing out and leaving the house. ABS.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Acustk5 said:
I hear it on my Pilot. Every time... happens when pressing the brakes at the first stop sign after backing out and leaving the house. ABS.
Holly crap I think your Pilot is falling apart you better get rid of it. ::) Just a little GM humor for you, I'm sure it's completely normal on a Honda, but on a GM the knock may mean the engine is falling out. I need a beer :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
119 Posts
coloradoGM said:
Holly crap I think your Pilot is falling apart you better get rid of it. ::) Just a little GM humor for you...
Yep. Every once in awhile I wonder if my Pilot and Acadia are both going to get along with each other in the same driveway, lol. ;D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Acustk5 said:
coloradoGM said:
Holly crap I think your Pilot is falling apart you better get rid of it. ::) Just a little GM humor for you...
Yep. Every once in awhile I wonder if my Pilot and Acadia are both going to get along with each other in the same driveway, lol. ;D
No kidding your Pilot is probably going to make fun of your Acadia all the time and you will have to put your Acadia in therapy. ::)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Acustk5 said:
coloradoGM said:
My Dodge, Honda and Nissan all get along just fine together in the same garage. :cheers:

As you can tell, with my next purchase to be a GMC, I have no brand loyalty whatsoever. Is that a Gen X thing? :-\

·
Registered
306 Posts
I am jealous--I'd just like to have a garage big enough to hold a dodge, honda, and issan (and maybe the ford chevy and chryler).

Yeah, 6 car garage sounds about right!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have also heard this noise on my Acadia. It is a single pop or thunk. It sounds like it is coming from the front of the car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The single pop/thunk noise should only be heard after you first start the engine and exceed about 7mph. THAT is the ABS. It will happen every key on cycle although you may not always hear it. Any noises after that or under other circumstances are not ABS and should be looked at by the dealer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Acadia7j100001, thanks for the concise explanation. I just got the steering column lube done on Thursday and so am now listening to see if it got rid of the noises other than the one that I have learned is my ABS check. Incidentally I asked my dealer if there was a suggestion that the lube be done again once in a while. I figure lube eventually wears off and we drive our cars for 10 years or more before repalcing them. He asked the mechanic, who said that if it was his car, he'd relube at the major service checks (you know like the 30,000 mile servie and so on).
My dealer said I should just ask them to do that at those seriveces and they would happily do it. So all I have to do is remember to ask, should be easy enough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts