GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership (in New Jersey) to finish up my previous deal for SLT 1 with convinence pkg and 8 seats

Last Saturday, a dealer once offered.

9000 downpayment
60 months
550 a month

but today the owner of dealership changed it as

9250 downpayment
60 months
555 a month

saying there was miscommunication between them and no more deal

What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angryfire:
Do you think this is possible?What a terrible dealership!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want a information about this dealership, I can give you. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds crappy to me....I'd walk....for sure

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
ericp - We discussed this deal in another thread, and in that thread, someone mentioned that it was odd that you were being quoted payment and not price.

Go onto www.edmunds.com and price your car exactly like you ordered it. You will get the invoice price there. There are other links on this forum for getting other pricing, but edmunds has always been right for me. You are getting the $500 conquest if I remember right, so even if the dealer charged you $1000 over invoice, you would then take $500 off that and end up paying $500 over invoice.

That would be typical, but I personally paid flat invoice, then took the discount off of that. So my bottom line price was actually below invoice. One thing to know is that the GM dealer makes money selling at invoice, and so does the sales person. I typically start my negotiations with a sales person by asking if they will sell to me at invoice price. If the answer is no, I immediately walk away.

I think the best way to buy a car is to negotiate the price, and then negotiate the loan. Even there you can perhaps get a better rate depending on your credit score.

It is my opinion that you are being jerked around.

GAR

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just one caution about Edmunds. They do not include the "regional advertising" or similar fee in their "invoice price". Some dealers seem to pay this (and it is a real cost) and others apparently do not. IIRC, I paid about $50 over Edmunds invoice for mine or about $500 under the dealer's invoice which included these advertising fees. With the $1000 conquest, I guess I paid about $1500 under "invoice". (It was the one advertised in the paper that week (a loss leader) and I got for the quoted price- $27,900 +TTL)

Never negotiate the purchase based on the payment alone. Nail down the price of the vehicle, then the trade, then the financing. I even got them to reduce/eliminate some of the bogus fees by getting ready to walk when they tried to add the window etching, teflon coating, etc. I took a bit of a hit on the trade but it was a 7 year old minivan with some body damage, so it was fair enough. I was happy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
jseck2 - Thanks!! I forgot to mention that. My dealership does not participate in any advertising so they always match with edmunds. Your are correct that some dealerships do have advertising costs that are part of their invoice price. One Acadia I looked at had $450 added to the invoice for advertising. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, I should say "thank you all!" for your wonderful advice and help.

I did check edmunds.com before going shop but they seemed not to care about it.
The advertising fee was also matter. There were two kinds of distribution fee ("Dealer distribution fee" and other distribustion fee), which was around $1000! :beer: :banghead:
When I looked at the monitor (Actually, he didn't want to show me the screen), :angryfire: invoice was over $34700!!!!
And then, he also added GOV FEE ($361, I have no idea about this ???)

So, result was

9200 down
60 months
555 a month

Do you think this dealer want to sell the car to me? I am wondering... But, the car is right one (Black with titanium)which is what I want.
Here is Dilemma...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would talk to the general manager if you really must buy from that dealer, but based on what you say, I would not deal with the guy you are working with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eric, Hopefully I am not too late! Costco has an awesome program with Capital One. Right now their new car rate is 5.74% and you can walk into the dealer with a check within 48 hours. Wel worth the price of membership. They are awesome to work with and maybe you can get a better deal if you call the dealer and tell him you are now a CASH buyer. Plus it looks like the dealers in our NJ area just got some new deliveries on the lots. Check out the inventory at other dealers, too.
Costco link:
http://www.capitaloneautofinance.com/Public/Landing/Costco/
Good Luck and Keep us posted!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
*Acadia* said:
Eric, Hopefully I am not too late! Costco has an awesome program with Capital One. Right now their new car rate is 5.74% and you can walk into the dealer with a check within 48 hours. Wel worth the price of membership. They are awesome to work with and maybe you can get a better deal if you call the dealer and tell him you are now a CASH buyer. Plus it looks like the dealers in our NJ area just got some new deliveries on the lots. Check out the inventory at other dealers, too.
Costco link:
http://www.capitaloneautofinance.com/Public/Landing/Costco/
Good Luck and Keep us posted!!!
Just to be clear, it looks like the 5.74% rate is on a 30-36 month loan. The 60 month rate is at 6.1%.

http://www.capitaloneautofinance.com/Public/Landing/Costco/CostcoPopUpFullRate.aspx

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a Jetta that was financed at Robins Federal Credit Union. So I called them and asked what they would give me on a 60 month loan for a new Acaida - they told me 6.0% - I thought that was ok.

Then when I went in to get the car, the dealership offered be 5.75% on a 60 month through the same RFCU.

Go figure - I grabbed it up.

I don't do any business with RFCU other than these 2 car loans-- so you may want to look into them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I personally feel it is always best to get prequalified before buying an automobile. Takes all the BS out of getting in the dealership finance office and being confused or pressured into warranties or other extras. You can do so much homework on the computer before buying nowdays. Try www.carbuyingtips.com also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts