GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep this as short and simple as I can, without writing a novel.

I have issues with my local dealer, so as many of you do, I take my Acadia to a different dealer than the one closest to my home; my dealer of choice. Unfortunately, since I live in northern BC, that means that the next closest dealer is 200+kms away (a 2+ hour drive).

Now, I don't mind this. If it is service that I can schedule, I lump it all together and get it all done on a Saturday. No big deal. I don't mind the trip, and I don't mind having to drive it - my local dealer is a real.... unmentionable.

However, when I showed up this past Saturday for my long-awaited transmission reflash (among other things to be fixed under warranty), both myself and the service department were dismayed to learn that the "national GM service depot tech center", or whatever they called it, was closed on Saturdays.

Now, I understand the reasoning for requiring calling in to "unlock" the ECU before flashing it. I know that because the odometer is fiddled with by the tech working on the reflash, that there is a procedure in place to ensure that the same odometer reading before the reflash is put in after the reflash.

What I don't understand is how something this vital in order to have service completed on my vehicle is closed on a Saturday. I do not have the time during the week to run around dropping my vehicle off and picking it up. I do not have the luxury of 2-3 different service centers within a 30 minute drive to chose another from, should one piss me off. And what I don't understand even more is how GM failed to make the service department aware of the call in to perform this service. Maybe the service department dropped the ball... but since three different service departments I've spoken to have absolutely no clue about the call in requirement, I would hazard a guess and say that perhaps the problem is on the GM side.

Not impressed. Since I scheduled this trip almost exclusively for the reflash, I consider it a waste of my time and $$. And, since I 'm not going to take time off during the week to do the reflash, I have no choice but to take my Acadia to the dealer most definitely not of my choice, and get it done locally at a dealer that I trust as far as I can throw.

Just an FYI to you guys out there, make sure that not only do you know every thing that is happening to your vehicle when it goes in for service (bring TSBs, bulletins, etc), touch base with your service department and make sure they know what the process is as well.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
unfortunately, it is like that with most brands.

With my VW, when I had problems, it was the same. Service was open Saturday and national tech was going ot be there. However, the diagnostic center they needed to dial into was not open on the weekends.

Since then, they have elimnated Saturday hours.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Our local GMC dealler did not have a clue 4 months ago what I was talking about. Dealer near where I work, 60 miles away did. Had evening hours till 8pm and said would be an hour procedure. Got the car there at 5:30PM and was just over an hour and was on my way. I am an evening hour person for our cars to be serviced: tire rotations, fuel filter replacement, brakes, serpentine belt......etc. Lucky to have Stang dealer near where I work with evening hours too. Had to take my Stang 2 nights in a row for power lock fix on passenger side as ford parts and parts houses are open during day only, but no big deal. Yup, there are car dealers and car dealers and lucky I have 2 near work that have top notch service depts with managers in the know. Transmission shifting on the Acadia couldn't be better with slight pressure on the peddle when you want to go in town at any speed and shifting is smooth and responsive on hills/inclines.
That is a bummer if GM National Service is not open on Saturday. Since the FLASH is done via downloading from the internet, it is surprising GM would turn off that server with that particular software on a weekend. Interesting. I had mine done after normal work hours being 5:30 CST and 6:30EST[GM]

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I had wanted to bring my Acadia in on a Saturday to have the flash and other work done, but my service tech advised against it and asked me to drop it off during the week. Which I did. He never said why I shouldn't bring it in on Saturday, but maybe what you experienced was the reason.

The flash was crap anyway. My Acadia gets worse gas mileage and shifts like a beast now. I'm sorry I ever took it in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My service advisor said they had difficulty getting into the system when they flashed mine, as many other dealers were trying to access at the same time. I had it done 12/28, and it could be that people had time off around the holidays and got their vehicles serviced.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Web Raven said:
I had wanted to bring my Acadia in on a Saturday to have the flash and other work done, but my service tech advised against it and asked me to drop it off during the week. Which I did. He never said why I shouldn't bring it in on Saturday, but maybe what you experienced was the reason.

The flash was crap anyway. My Acadia gets worse gas mileage and shifts like a beast now. I'm sorry I ever took it in.
I would take it to a different dealer and get it reflashed. I think somebody screwed up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Web Raven said:

I noticed a very big improvement with the reflash; shifting is a lot smoother when skipping a gear, and manual shifts have lost almost all their jerkiness.

I ended up having the reflash done last night at the local dealer which I hate - 2.5 hours! Poor tech's computer kept crashing on him.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
It didn't act up immediately after the reflash. It was probably around 30 days later. It developed the vibration at 45mph. Which now vibrates from 45mph through 55mph before tapering off. And it just generally shifts like poop. I dunno when I'm going to have time to locate another dealership, let alone bring it back in...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Web Raven said:
It didn't act up immediately after the reflash. It was probably around 30 days later. It developed the vibration at 45mph. Which now vibrates from 45mph through 55mph before tapering off. And it just generally shifts like poop. I dunno when I'm going to have time to locate another dealership, let alone bring it back in...
Based on your description, and the fact that the symptoms were not immediately after the flash, it is my gut feel that the flash had nothing to do with your problem and you actually have something wrong. What a PITA!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I agree!! It is beginning to sound like the trans (or something) is screwed up. Have any of the mechanics driven it? I know if I take mine in for something thats under warranty - like the trans- I get a free loaner car.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Its always a basic to have a reputable and and reliable dealer. The hard part is finding one. No problem with the Lexus but the Mitsu dealership was a pain. I hope that the GM dealer (4) in my area would be at a competent level.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts