GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dealer installed an aftermarket class 3 hitch on our 08 acadia. Although we've had it in the shop twice he claims they can't hear the rattling noise that is caused by the hitch. We think that a.) the hitch itself is loose (scary thought, though we haven't towed the boat yet) or b.) the exhaust is loose somehow. The salesman claims that everything it tight and working properly, anyone else had an after market hitch installed? It is obvious when going over a pothole or even a speedbump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the insert(the ball and the "tube" that fits into the hitch that is bolted to the car) is installed, it will have a tendency to rattle a bit over bumps. If it isn't installed ,and it still rattles, , get them to tighten up all the bolts, and don't tow anything 'til they do!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hitch and ball are NOT on. Just a plastic cover and the pin. But it rattled before we put that on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure how it bolts on but some hitches have the nuts & washers inside a rail. If they got away from the installer when putting the bolts in, the nuts can rattle around inside the frame. When I traded in my Windstar, I took off my Class III hitch and there was no access to get the nuts out so they were lost into the rail. They probably rattled around a bit until they got trapped somewhere and stopped skating around.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I had a rattle in the back of my car over bumps, I found it to be items stored in the storage compartments in the back cargo area. They were moving when I hit bumps on the road. I put a blanket down to avoid the noise.
Don't know if this could be the same problem you are having but thought I would add 2 cents :thumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an aftermarket hitch on mine too. It is also noisy, what I have found is that the exhaust hits the htich when you go over bumps and things like that. The exhaust is hanging on rubber hangers which allow it to move and hit the hitch when the road isnt exactly smooth. I have ordered a factory hitch to put on my acadia and hopefully this will solve the problem.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It must have something to do with the Acadia tailpipes then. I bought a Valley hitch from Uhaul and installed it my self. I have the dual tailpipes and they don't even come close to hitting the hitch. I even pulled down on them to see if they would come close and there was no problem.

As for the nuts, they are fixed into the frame and should not come loose or out.

Make sure whoever is doing the instal is torking them to 95#.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is the Acadia's tail pipes. With the valley hitch I have there isnt but about a 1/4 inch of clearance between the rear mufflers and the sides of the hitch. Since the OEM hitch doesnt hit I think this is just poor research and development on the part of the aftermarket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hope you guys get your noise issues remedied.... sounds like a pain. Good luck.

Just a note/question to future readers and those potentiall considering buying an Acadia, and getting the option of factory installed hitch..... For those of you who had trouble with the noisy hitch, looking back, would you have paid the $500 for the Trailering Pkg from GM when you got your vehicle (if you could have)? Obviously some of you may have purchased used, or didn't think about it at the time of purchase, but with the beauty of hindsight, would you have pd the $500 up front for this pkg to get the GM installed version?

Might be helpful for future readers considering whether getting the Trailering pkg or not?

I personally was nervous about adding the hitch on, so I waited until I found the SLE version with a trailer hitch (took a while to get one with all the options in an SLE model). But I think it was worth waiting in the end?

Also, what is the cost compared to the $500 GM option?

Good lucks guys!

·
Registered
428 Posts
The factory option for the trailering package is definantly worth the money. I spent 675.00 just on having the fuse block replaced to make the wiring harness for the trailer lights work. If you are going to tow it is definantly better to get one with the towing package already installed....

·
Registered
395 Posts
dfrank78 said:
The factory option for the trailering package is definantly worth the money.
I also agree that it is well worth the money. It was actually my only must have option. With the factory package you get more towing capacity (4500 vs. 2000 pounds with aftermarket), a tow/haul mode button and an oversized cooling system. If you live in a warm climate, it can't hurt to have a bigger radiator. Well worth $500.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts