GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my first road trip to the beach and back with my new to me Acadia. Relatively smooth ride but the cabin is super noisy. Seems to be maybe the tires. They are fairly new tires and ive got PSI at 35 but they inflate to 38 with driving: The noises are pretty constant. Could possibly be the not so great interstate roads in my area. Occasional slight shaking when above 75/80mph also.
Anybody else have issues with this?

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
220 Posts
WIfe, kids and I just took a 4 hour road trip to the beach and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary noise wise. I just had tires that were a few sizes larger and a bit more aggressive than stock and we were still comfortable as can be. The tires I had installed were Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60r18 from stock 235/65r18 And I am drawing a blank on which tire it was. What tire are you running? What does the noise sound like? Worse at higher speeds or lower or vise versa? Additional Intel would help a little to try and narrow it down.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
A tire doesn't inflate itself while driving. Air heats up and pressure increases from expansion in a (somewhat) closed container. Make sure the windows are closed and turn up the radio.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
84 Posts
A tire doesn't inflate itself while driving. Air heats up and pressure increases from expansion in a (somewhat) closed container. Make sure the windows are closed and turn up the radio.
That’s why you are supposed to check your tire pressures cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, all I was trying to say was tire pressure cold is 35. When driving goes up to around 38.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WIfe, kids and I just took a 4 hour road trip to the beach and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary noise wise. I just had tires that were a few sizes larger and a bit more aggressive than stock and we were still comfortable as can be. The tires I had installed were Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60r18 from stock 235/65r18 And I am drawing a blank on which tire it was. What tire are you running? What does the noise sound like? Worse at higher speeds or lower or vise versa? Additional Intel would help a little to try and narrow it down.
Worse at higher speeds. It’s probably normal noise, just me nitpicking and making up issues. The noise sounds like a loud hum. The hum is different depending how well the road is paved. Happens at 60mph+. Never really notice around town. Really was just wondering how the cabin noise level in Acadia was supposed to be.

I’m currently running michelin latitude tour p255/60r19. They are fairly new from what I can tell (have had the car two weeks). I appreciate you entertaining my questions!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me but without driving it there is no way to actually diagnose it properly

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try slightly weaving in your lane, see if the noise gets quieter and/or louder, it may be the beginning of a bearing going

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Yes, all I was trying to say was tire pressure cold is 35. When driving goes up to around 38.
You have nothing to be concerned about when that happens. All inflatable rubber tires do the same thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Worse at higher speeds. It’s probably normal noise, just me nitpicking and making up issues. The noise sounds like a loud hum. The hum is different depending how well the road is paved. Happens at 60mph+. Never really notice around town. Really was just wondering how the cabin noise level in Acadia was supposed to be.

I’m currently running michelin latitude tour p255/60r19. They are fairly new from what I can tell (have had the car two weeks). I appreciate you entertaining my questions!
I think my stock tire where those Michelin‘s and I never noticed any road noise on those as well. My tires are at 33psi cold and run about 38psi at highway speeds and thats is nothing to worry about like Speleos said. As far as what the cabin noise is supposed to be it seems that mine is actually fairly quiet with windows up, radio off when by myself I am actually impressed by the silence but then again Ive lost 25% or so hearing in both ears from army infantry combat shooting and blowing stuff up! Now when my wife talks that number grows to about 80% and 90% when I am watching TV!! LMAO! Anyway....it sounds like if I were you I would keep a careful eye on the noise and if it gets any louder I would take it in to get looked at right away. The questions are right on....thanks for entertaining our crazy answers! Seriously though there are alot of very knowledgeable guys on here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me but without driving it there is no way to actually diagnose it properly

You have nothing to be concerned about when that happens. All inflatable rubber tires do the same thing.
Yes. I am aware that tires do that, I was simply stating what my psi levels were so that people could have info to help provide me answers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try slightly weaving in your lane, see if the noise gets quieter and/or louder, it may be the beginning of a bearing going

Seemed to be louder when swerving. I’ll test it out a little more and see about getting those bearings looked at. Thanks you for the tip

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
Seemed to be louder when swerving. I’ll test it out a little more and see about getting those bearings looked at. Thanks you for the tip
If you have any concern about a hub bearing, get it checked out before you drive much longer. A bearing starting to wear out can disintegrate rapidly and catch the hub on fire. I've seen the result of that happening on several vehicles in a former employer's livery fleet. This is one of the company's cars (limo in background).

This was an axle bearing which caused the fire, but same principle. An Escalade caught fire in the front hub. Too bad no one took a picture of it.

(@divotdug, this was on I-83 in Baltimore during Preakness)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wanted to add to my earlier post......The family and I had a last minute trip that ended up being 4 hours of highway and country back roads that had several different surfaces types. Most were the usual asphalt but when we got into Virginia and encountered concrete based roads HOLY CR*P was that thing loud as can be. I think a lot of it was the aggressive tread on the new tires but because of the surface type it was super loud. Keep in mind that different surfaces will produce different sounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got a new question ( i know, I've been relentless)... posted a discussion over in engine/drivetrain that is titled 'normal noise'? .... would love for yall to take a look at the video. A friend of mine is telling me this sounds like the timing belt needs to be replaced. Most of yall seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff and I know next to nothing about cars so if you have got any time, I would love for your input over there. If not, thank you for all yall have offered thus far for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
So another discussion I was reading sounded alot like this and I think it was a spun rod bearing. I am not gonna lie this one is a bit over my pay grade as I don’t know much about the bottom end of motors only the top end. It could be a lifter tapping as well or maybe bye the timing chain but again not 100% sure. Hopefully some of the other guys will chip in with some knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
got a new question ( i know, I've been relentless)... posted a discussion over in engine/drivetrain that is titled 'normal noise'? .... would love for yall to take a look at the video. A friend of mine is telling me this sounds like the timing belt needs to be replaced. Most of yall seem to be very knowledgeable on this stuff and I know next to nothing about cars so if you have got any time, I would love for your input over there. If not, thank you for all yall have offered thus far for me.
So another discussion I was reading sounded alot like this and I think it was a spun rod bearing. I am not gonna lie this one is a bit over my pay grade as I don’t know much about the bottom end of motors only the top end. It could be a lifter tapping as well or maybe bye the timing chain but again not 100% sure. Hopefully some of the other guys will chip in with some knowledge.
Please take the discussion to this thread: Normal noise?

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the 2019 Acadia Denali, TP is to be at least 37.
I find it to be a much noisier car than my wife's 2008 Lucerne it replaced or my 2015 Yukon, and less comfortable seating than the Yukon. I believe most of the noise is in the tires, but the a/c compressor also has a whine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On the 2019 Acadia Denali, TP is to be at least 37.
I find it to be a much noisier car than my wife's 2008 Lucerne it replaced or my 2015 Yukon, and less comfortable seating than the Yukon. I believe most of the noise is in the tires, but the a/c compressor also has a whine.
I agree at least 37psi... I am running 38psi on the highway on my 255/60r18 Pirelli’s and I used to run 36psi on my 235/65r18 stock tires and had little to no noise. I can hear A little tread noise on the new ones when at highway speeds but they do have A more aggressive tread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts