GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had my 2008 AWD SLT 2 Acadia for a little over a week now. I have one issue with it that scares me. One of the roads that I have to travel a few times a week has a sharp left curve (not quite a 45 degree angle). While going around this curve there is a noise that I can only describe as sounding like brakes locking up and the vehicle feels like it wants you to straighten up the wheel and not continue to go around the curve, it is like a pulling sensation. The noise is coming from somewhere between the front left tire and middle of the vehicle. When I go around this curve I am going around 40 - 45 mph, there are no patches or gravel in the road and my foot can be on or off the brake and no lights come on like the stability light or traction control light. I took it back to the dealer exactly one week after buying and they kept it two days. After driving it almost 120 mile they finally say they duplicated the noise and they aren't saying it's normal but say they can't find anything wrong. They drove it again with the computer hooked up to it and nothing came up as being wrong. I picked it up and on my way to work once again I go around the curve and it does it again. It is really a scary feeling. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Have driven the same road with a different car in the last week? Check the road for grooves or an uneven surface. You might have two separated issues here. Just a guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealership had me in two different rental suv's while they had my truck and it did not happen in either one of them. My husband also drives this same road as I have always and have never had this happed. As for the grooves I don't see any and the road has not been repaved or any work done to it for years so I don't believe in any way that it is the road. But thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had it do it on one other road, it was the same kind of curve and a left one again. And one time I did make a sharp left hand turn into a local bank,I was trying to cut across the road before some traffic came so I took the turn more like I would a curve rather than a turn and it did it then also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The same thing has happened to me twice since purchasing our 08 SLT2 in November of last year. Same left hand curve. I tried to duplicate it to see if I could tell where the noise was coming from but could not get it to come back. It almost sounds like the ABS is engaging but I am not traveling very fast and don't brake very hard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I would feel better if it had only happened once or twice but this is happening around two different curves on routes that I have to take when going to and from work.

Thanks for the reply! Please keep them coming.

SNOEL99

·
Registered
468 Posts
It sounds like you have something binding in the drivetrain, like maybe one of your differentials is having issues. On Subaru's one thing owners recommend is driving in tight figure 8's in a parking lot. If you get a kick-back sensation I suspect you have a problem with your AWD system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I will definitely test that out this afternoon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our '08 SLT2 does this as well. I suspect its the TCS system. The noise is similar to an ABS system. Try disabling traction control and see if you can duplicate the problem. The problem I have is that it's somewhat difficult to reproduce the problem close to the dealership. There's a switch-back type rural road about 50 miles away that will do it every time. Also, ours will make the noise going left and right.

I'm going to try the figure eight suggestion and see what happens.

gl

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Could possibly be some issue with Stabilitrak as well.... :-\ Maybe a bad sensor that makes the stability control system think the vehicle is out of control and step in. But thinking about this more I would assume that would throw a code that the dealer could see.

·
Registered
468 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Could possibly be some issue with Stabilitrak as well.... :-\ Maybe a bad sensor that makes the stability control system think the vehicle is out of control and step in. But thinking about this more I would assume that would throw a code that the dealer could see.
Yeah, that's the reason I was thinking more of a mechanical issue. But who knows.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Razorback,

I had the same problem with not being able to reproduce the sound at the dealership. We live in the country as I call it and most dealerships are in the city so it's hard to duplicate what it does going around there "sharp curves" which to me is more like a straight stretch :) However, my dealer did ask for there service manager to drive it to his house for the night because he lives in the country and he claims he actually felt it while going around a left curve at about 15 mph with his foot on the brake slightly. He asked if there were any patches in the road and I told him that there were not. The dealership drove it a total of about 120 miles and claimed to have reproduced the noise twice. The reply I got was "we aren't saying it's normal but we also aren't finding anything wrong through the computer. I went ahead and picked it up but am now regretting that decision. We are leaving for vacation this Sat. and are traveling about 400 miles one way so I'm not sure if I should take it back before or after the vacation. If it didn't scare me so bad I wouldn't think twice because it will be all interstate and city driving so I don't think we will have any problems but who knows.

Thanks to all who have replied, every little bit helps. I will be testing different driving patterns this evening and letting you know what happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
zman & geohawk,

Our thoughts were a sensitive sensor but the dealer said that was not it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think we are talking about the same noise. The noise we get is definitely when going around a sharp curve, but only with a bit of speed or acceleration. Definitely not to the point where it would make anyone uncomfortable. In other words, just maneuvering in a parking lot won't create the problem. And we aren't going so fast that TCS needs to do its job :)

Our noise will get your attention. It's somewhat loud and you can feel it in the steering. In addition, it seems that the "system" is trying to correct the steering to the opposite of the turn, almost as if it is differential braking between the two front tires. The best way I can describe the noise is a "Grrr" sound with a vibration felt throughout the car. Like I said earlier, it gives me a similar feeling to an ABS system "crunching" when it activates.

I don't think it is something binding, in that it feels like it is "switched" on and off by a sensor or a system of some sort.

Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I didn't have time last night to try the figure eight but I do plan to do it as soon as I can. I did however take some people with me to the curve that it has happened to me the most on and went around it probably 15 times and NOTHING. FIGURES>>>> Anyway it is what it is. I will keep you all up to date but when I'm back from the beach and if no WHEN it happens again I will be taking it back to the shop. I didn't pay for a new vehicle to have to worry every time I go around a curve. Not to mention I'm already on edge around curves beings the whole reason I got the Acadia is I was in an accident where someone was on the wrong side of a curve and totaled my 05 Tahoe Z71!

Let me know if anyone hears of the fix for this issue or if you just have any comments.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is it possible that it didn't do it this time because of the added weight (the people with you) in the vehicle? That may get you closer to a solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I tried the figure eights today and nothing! I talked to my cousin last night who is a mechanic and used to work for Ford. He thinks that it is a differential problem. He says sound like the wheels are trying to all turn at the same speed and supposedly they are not suppose to. He says that it is probably mechanical and will be hard to get the dealer to actually fix it if there are no other complaints from others on the same problem. He described it as the truck trying to push through the curve instead of going around it smoothly. So anyone else having these problems please continue to post and let the dealers know and look at it so maybe we can all get them fixed. I am leaving for vacation in a couple of days but when I return it will be heading back to the shop.

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had what I believe to be the same problem as this with our 2008 Outlook. It happens only when turning left at slow speed and either going up or down a slight hill and slight pressure on the brakes. We have asked the service department to check it out but they can never reproduce it. Which I believe, as it happens rarely for us. It definitely feels like the ABS engaging.
My theory, which I have mentioned to them, is that it may be the Panic Brake Assist feature that is new on 2008 Outlooks\Acadias taking over. Unfortunately, they didn't even know about the Panic Brake Assist nad I think they take my opinion with a grain of salt. If it is this, then they may need to adjust the sensors or whatever it is that determines that a situation requiring the assist is occurring. One way to rule this out is if any 2007 vehicles are doing this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.