GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a vibration noise when my sunroof is open and I'm moving at 65 -70 mph. It sounds like a helicopter is inside my car. I reached up and touched the pop-up wind deflector and it was vibrating like crazy. When I apply a little pressure to keep it from vibrating the helicopter noise goes away. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem on their '09 Acadia or know of a fix?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Sunroof open at that speed is noisy - vibration or not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true, but I've owned other vehicles with similar factory installed pop-up wind deflectors and none of them made that kind of noise while driving at highway speed. If the deflector did not vibrate, there would be very little wind noise inside the cabin. Since my vehicle only has 4,000 miles on it I haven't taken it to my dealer to complain just yet. I'm compiling a "to do" list of things for them to look into when I take it in for an oil change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you'll get the same kind of noise if you open one of the side windows at that speed. It hurts my ears when I've done it

Rex

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
I agree with you golf. The deflector shouldn't shudder as long as the wind hitting it cames straight at you - and that's even at speeds upward of 80 mph. I never had problems like that with my BMW on the Autobahn.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Speleos, this is the first GM vehicle I've owed since 1986. I've owned four Honda products in the past 23 years and have been spoiled by their reliability, customer service and overall fit and finish of the vehicle. I was so impressed with the improvements that GM has made with the way they are engineering their vehicles now I thought I would come back and give them one more try (plus Honda didn't have a SUV that had the second row captains chair option). I'm concerned that my local GM dealer will not be as sympathetic to my problem and not be a champion for me and work to find a satisfactory resolution, but we will see. I was hoping that other owners out there have or are experiencing the same problem as I and their GM service departments have found a fix for my issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rexster - I expect normal wind noise when window(s) are down and/or my sunroof is open, but this noise from the vibrating pop-up deflector is total different than the expected wind noise and as I have experienced with my other vehicles, preventable.

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
golf, BTW I never had the problem with either of my Buicks ('91 and '99 Regals) or the Acadia. Keep on your dealer until you get satisfaction. If they won't help, take it higher through the GM food chain. It really sounds like there should be a simple fix for this - like replacing a missing bushing, realigning the deflector or something.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
golf2beach said:
I am experiencing a vibration noise when my sunroof is open and I'm moving at 65 -70 mph. It sounds like a helicopter is inside my car. I reached up and touched the pop-up wind deflector and it was vibrating like crazy. When I apply a little pressure to keep it from vibrating the helicopter noise goes away. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem on their '09 Acadia or know of a fix?
Try searching; I have read about another member with a similar problem; I think they replaced the wind deflector

·
Registered
6 Posts
Golf, I have THE EXACT SAME problem and it has been driving me crazy. My Acadia is three weeks old. At highway speeds with the sunroof open the whole headliner, rearview mirror and the little spoiler up top shakes like crazy. I can't even look in the mirror. Even opening a rear window to create a smoother airflow doesn't work. It shouldn't do this and I have had other cars where this wasn't a problem. Wind and road noise are expected. This is something different.

I suspect that the little spoiler may be too low to properly deflect the wind since when I push it up to extend it into the airflow the noise and vibration becomes normal. Also, maybe we are experiencing this because the roof doesn't retract fully into the body. I have thought about buying the stick-on wind deflector, but I don't really care for the look. Since others haven't had our experience I think it is specific to our cars.

One last thought: my car sat on its lot for months before I bought it. Could it be possible that the spring effect in the little spoiler was some how dampened by months of a closed sunroof?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
oscargoldman said:
Golf, I have THE EXACT SAME problem and it has been driving me crazy. My Acadia is three weeks old. At highway speeds with the sunroof open the whole headliner, rearview mirror and the little spoiler up top shakes like crazy. I can't even look in the mirror. Even opening a rear window to create a smoother airflow doesn't work. It shouldn't do this and I have had other cars where this wasn't a problem. Wind and road noise are expected. This is something different.

I suspect that the little spoiler may be too low to properly deflect the wind since when I push it up to extend it into the airflow the noise and vibration becomes normal. Also, maybe we are experiencing this because the roof doesn't retract fully into the body. I have thought about buying the stick-on wind deflector, but I don't really care for the look. Since others haven't had our experience I think it is specific to our cars.

One last thought: my car sat on its lot for months before I bought it. Could it be possible that the spring effect in the little spoiler was some how dampened by months of a closed sunroof?
I think a second touch of the sunroof button will retract the glass completely - perhaps that will address your issue? Give it a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mikemu, my previous car had a function like that. First press of the sunroof switch open the roof part way. A second press opened it up the rest of the way. The Acadia doesn't have that function. At least mine does not.

·
Registered
635 Posts
oscargoldman said:
Mikemu, my previous car had a function like that. First press of the sunroof switch open the roof part way. A second press opened it up the rest of the way. The Acadia doesn't have that function. At least mine does not.
None of the Lambdas do.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The switch has two functions; 1 is to raise the back edge of the sunroof for venting; 2 is to open or close the roof

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
oscargoldman said:
You're correct - sorry - was thinking of my daughter's Jetta which does that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jsimms - Here's the link where ktchristie states that they were experiencing the same vibration of the wind deflector as I am. Their dealer was able to fix the problem, but they haven't posted any follow up details.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1696.0

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My dealer was able to fix my deflector vibration problem by putting a strip of felt tape along the bottom of the deflector. by doing so I guess that closed the gap between the sunroof opening and the bottom of the deflector which was allowing air to come over the top and under the deflector thus causing the deflector to vibrate. It's been about six weeks since this fix was put in place and I have not experienced the vibration noise I had before. I'm not sure how long the tape will hold, but if that's all it takes to resolve that issue I can put a new piece of felt tape on myself whenever it's needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Golf -- I had the same issue with vibration. I ended up buying the sunroof wind deflector(Smoked Plastic) . Looks good and solved the issue, actually pretty quiet(wind noise as well) when at high speeds :blob:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a 2011, and mine doesn't bounce normally, it has, but its just so loud. I drive both of my vehicles every day. I have a 2005 escape and the acadia. The escape has the quietest sunroof I've ever experienced. The pop up spoiler has a smooth edge on the front of it, which I feel gives it the quiet air flow. Its so quiet I can drive 70 on a country road and talk on the phone without any issue. What I've noticed with the Acadia, the spoiler has several pockets in the front, which just doesn't make any sense to me. Those not only aid the bouncing, but the wind noise is obviously coming from those pockets and forget about even talking to the person sitting next to you its so loud. I've considered taping the front of it, and also considered buying the smoked deflector. I'll try the tape for now as its cost effective.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts