GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I don't have the tow package. From what I understand, it's a bigger radiator and a button on the dash somewhere that does something with the transmission. However, I did get a hitch installed (which is rated for 5000lbs, so I assume it would withstand far more than the Acadia could ever tow anyway).

My black rear bumper has a removable form-fitting plastic plate (about 16 inches wide) that can cover the hitch. However, I've seen Acadias without this - they seem to have a bump there - but no removable plate.

I'm wondering if perhaps my vehicle does in fact have some element of the official "towing package" and I just don't know it. I'm thinking this is a possibility because if some Acadias don't have this plastic hitch cover, those vehicles aren't set up for towing. But the presense of this removable plate hints that perhaps my vehicle was considered (or even includes) some element of a tow package.

Might there by any way to tell if perhaps I have the bigger radiator and or anything transmission-wise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Trailer Towing Package – includes trailer wiring harness, transmission cooler, trailer hitch platform with 51 mm (2 in.) hitch receiver and electric brake controller harness
There are two covers for the back bumper; flush, and with the "bump" for the hitch. You might have just gotten the cover due to a parts shortage, etc. I can't envision GM putting half a towing package in. Might be worth it to make a trip to the dealership and ask them to put it on the hoist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I do not have the tow package and it has a removable plate. I believe they all do. The ones with the tow package also have a removable plate and it has a bump on it so it will fit over the hitch. I have purchased one of those already getting ready for a hitch install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
GAR said:
I have purchased one of those already getting ready for a hitch install.
Hey GAR, get it done already or you will be moving on to your next car/truck/SUV and leaving your hitch install to the next owner. :cheers: :sosad: :eek:hno:

Tell ya what, you bring the :beer: and I will help you get it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
toyjunkie said:
GAR said:
I have purchased one of those already getting ready for a hitch install.
Hey GAR, get it done already or you will be moving on to your next car/truck/SUV and leaving your hitch install to the next owner. :cheers: :sosad: :eek:hno:

Tell ya what, you bring the :beer: and I will help you get it done.
So how is the ledge out there in Winterpeg toyjunkie? I have a cousin that lives in the Peg some days he likes it some days he hates it. He works for Convergis out there he really wants to move back to London though to be closer to his family but his ever so loving WIFE doesn't want to even though her family all lives in Leamington.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Things are OK here I guess, this is only place I know. Winters have lost what little fun they used to have now that gas is like gold. But the Acadia makes road trips allot more fun to take.

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
toyjunkie said:
Things are OK here I guess, this is only place I know. Winters have lost what little fun they used to have now that gas is like gold. But the Acadia makes road trips allot more fun to take.

:cheers:
I bet the Acadia does make road trips much more fun. So any recent episodes from the Red River and it wanting to spead it's waters and love to other parts of the Peg LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
toyjunkie said:
GAR said:
I have purchased one of those already getting ready for a hitch install.
Hey GAR, get it done already or you will be moving on to your next car/truck/SUV and leaving your hitch install to the next owner. :cheers: :sosad: :eek:hno:

Tell ya what, you bring the :beer: and I will help you get it done.
Bottom line is that I try to avoid putting anything on credit. The Acadia is big enough that I am in the process of building a shed so we can store the mowers, bikes, etc. and actually be able to get out of the car when it is parked in the garage. So all my funds have gone into shed materials. When I get the cash, and there is nothing of higher priority, then I will do the hitch. Your :beer: offer sounds good :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
OK. Hit me. I still don't have it done. Now I am wondering if I will do an aftermarket hitch. I was just told by a friend that the aftermarket hitches stick out just a little bit farther than the factory hitch and that the removable factory hitch cover will not work with the aftermarket hitches. He said he needed to buy the GM hitch to get it to work. I have purchased the bumper cover with the little bump out that comes with the towing package. Has anyone found an aftermarket hitch that is short enough for the cover to go on the bumper and fit when not in use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
GAR said:
I do not have the tow package and it has a removable plate. I believe they all do. The ones with the tow package also have a removable plate and it has a bump on it so it will fit over the hitch. I have purchased one of those already getting ready for a hitch install.
Do you have the part number for the hitch cover ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
denemante said:
Hey all,

I don't have the tow package. From what I understand, it's a bigger radiator and a button on the dash somewhere that does something with the transmission.
Just wondering if the above mentioned items are really part of this option i.e. bigger radiator and the 'button thing' ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
There is a tow/haul mode button and increased engine cooling
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
copperbeech said:
Just wondering if the above mentioned items are really part of this option i.e. bigger radiator and the 'button thing' ?
When I researched our 2009 purchase I found there were two part numbers for the 2008 model's radiator, so I figured one was for HD cooling. This is how GM has sold cars for decades. We don't tow with it but I wanted the HD cooling since we are in a hot climate during summer months and the package was less costly than retrofitting it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
GAR said:
OK. Hit me. I still don't have it done. Now I am wondering if I will do an aftermarket hitch. I was just told by a friend that the aftermarket hitches stick out just a little bit farther than the factory hitch and that the removable factory hitch cover will not work with the aftermarket hitches. He said he needed to buy the GM hitch to get it to work. I have purchased the bumper cover with the little bump out that comes with the towing package. Has anyone found an aftermarket hitch that is short enough for the cover to go on the bumper and fit when not in use?
so what did you find out? Will an aftermkt hitch from say Uhaul etc be able to be covered with the plastic plate? without the bump
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,011 Posts
denemante said:
I don't have the tow package ...... I did get a hitch installed ........ rear bumper has a removable form-fitting plastic plate .... that can cover the hitch.
Sounds like denemante knows about aftermarket hitches. In fact, all hitches installed on Acadias come from some hitch factory that is not GM. Draw-Tite, Reece and others (yep, U-Haul too) use the same templates for building a product that will align with mounting holes in the frame/subframe of a variety of vehicles. Some particular manufacturers might extend the receiver end a bit so that their product will show proudly out the back of your vehicle. This gives room for school colors, propellors, LED plates, whatever your heart desires to clamp into the receiver when your not towing your dinghy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
jiggly said:
so what did you find out? Will an aftermkt hitch from say Uhaul etc be able to be covered with the plastic plate? without the bump
No. I bought the hitch cover with the bump out and it just barely clears the after market hitch I installed. The flat cover that comes without the tow package will not even come close to clearing if there is a hitch installed.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top