GMC Acadia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. I have a 2007 Acadia SLT - 2 with the bose sound system with the same issues as the rest of you , intermintent radio issues and such.

So I took it to the dealer and they said I needed a new radio , the estimate to replace it is $1250 + tax. They took it apart and it was having the issue while the tech was looking at it and he said that it was getting to hot and when the fan inside the radio (so im told there's 1) kicked on that it cooled back down and the issue went away.

I have to say I'm very skeptical that this is the problem and that's a $1250 gamble that I don't think I wanna take until it craps all the way out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: no sound from radio and/or no display

After reading this whole thread, I need to rant some here:

1. Well, 50,000 looks at this topic certainly says SOMETHING about this problem, whether Speleos thinks it's important or not. :thumbdown:

2. Taking it back to the dealer - a common suggestion - is laughable. My dealer charges $125 for an 'analysis' of the problem. From what I've read here, almost all of the dealerships were clueless. :shrug:

3. A 7 year old vehicle with only 90k miles on it should not spit the bit on the stereo unit! A few units, perhaps. But there's way more than just a few complaints here. So if I replace it with a new double din Kenwood unit, do I still have a problem because of the BOSE amp?

4. I've had 20 year old clunkers that drove like crap, but hey - at least the stereo worked! The cost of ownership of this vehicle continues to escalate - scary beyond the warranty period. Don't think I'll ever buy another one unless they throw in an extended warranty.

And still, I have this love/hate relationship with the Acadia. Best looking SUV out there. Hauls tons of stuff. Comfortable on long trips. It's a beast in snowy weather. Hate the gas mileage. Hate the price of new tires. And I hate sooooo many nitpicky little things that chip away at me feeling comfortable for the long haul. What else that's out there is better? A new one? Don't think so (see above).

·
Registered
6 Posts
So this morning I get in, and the radio works for all of 5 minutes, then goes silent again. Park it after another 10 minutes (of silence), and after being in the store for 15-20 minutes, it's back on again when I start up. That lasts for about 2 minutes, and it's gone again. Two more stops and starts - nothing. Maybe it's a heat issue of some sort?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
svgmc07 said:
So this morning I get in, and the radio works for all of 5 minutes, then goes silent again. Park it after another 10 minutes (of silence), and after being in the store for 15-20 minutes, it's back on again when I start up. That lasts for about 2 minutes, and it's gone again. Two more stops and starts - nothing. Maybe it's a heat issue of some sort?
That's the exact same way my bad Bose amp acted until one day it just didn't start back up until it was replaced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had seen a post on this very helpful forum about a possibility of this being a fuse problem... So while at the dealer for recall service, I asked if they would check the fuse. He stated, "no, your amp is shot", without even checking. I declined their offer to replace it for $800.00. So, I bought one through Amazon for $216.00 shipped, and my mechanic installed it for $95.00, in less than an hour. Music and bleeping and clicking all working again for just over $300!

·
Registered
3 Posts
After experiencing all side speakers going in & out in my 2008 Acadia, I also found getting water in the door wiring connections. After reading these posts, I purchased a Bose amp and asked my shop to replace it. However, the shop told me there's no amp in my model. Could that be true? I instructed him the location and replacement tips from the posts, which he understood, but said no amp there.

Any suggestions on what I can do now? I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer, who says they've not heard of this issue but will check anyway (for $100 svc charge).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can someone please let me know if and how they resolved this issue? I have 2008 Acadia (no sun roof, non Bose) with same exact issues- sounds going in and out on the door speakers/door chime/reverse sensor/turn signals.

When I unplugged the door wiring connectors, there was water coming out. I saw another thread that said speaker replacement may resolve the issue but not sure. If so, what is being done to keep the moisture out?

Your quick feedback will really help me save time and money from fixing the wrong things. I already purchased an amp only to learn my model has none. :banghead:

Thanks so much in advance!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found this thread looking for the reason the stereo and turn signal indications didn't work. Both the rear door connectors were completely full of water. I shook the water out and things seem to be working for now. I'll replace the amp if it doesn't stay working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2007 Acadia SLT (no roof). I pulled the fuse for the radio amplifier and the strange noise stopped. Local dealer replaced the amplifier - problem solved. $750.00 + tax CAD

·
Registered
6 Posts
FORUM GM said:
well it's always a possibility, but I hate to throw the idea out there because of the "maybe's"~a trip to the dealer is in order IMO
My dealer charges $125 for an "analysis fee" when I bring my Acadia in now since it's out of warranty ... so every time you suggest running it to the dealership all I hear is ka-ching ka-ching ....

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
svgmc07 said:
My dealer charges $125 for an "analysis fee" when I bring my Acadia in now since it's out of warranty ... so every time you suggest running it to the dealership all I hear is ka-ching ka-ching ....
You said something like that last year (and I believe in this thread). :-\ What's your point? ??? Do you expect someone to work on your car for free? :sosad:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,

Had this issue (minus the problem with the turn signals) on my 2008 Outlook for some time now (at least a couple years) and it appears to be getting worse and Wife getting annoyed at not having a radio.

In Summary:

- Intermittent lack of sound in most (ie just the tweeters working) or all speakers. No rhyme or reason...will just start working randomly or not work at all. Used to only be certain speakers but now tends to be all of them.
- Output fine through headphone jack.
- Turn signal sounds always work
- Alert Chimes intermittently work like the radio but sometimes you can just barely hear them.

I don't have a BOSE system. There is so much information and misinformation out there - need clarification....do the non BOSE systems have an amplifier? My check under the drivers side hush panel seems to indicate the answer is no...at least not in that location.

A few times I've seen it suggested to replace the BCM but never seen anyone say this fixed the issue. Also since I'm hearing the turn signal sounds (ALWAYS) wouldn't this rule out a BCM issue?

If not BCM and if there is no amplifier, has to be radio or speakers...but how would speakers work intermittently....I could see one but all of them???

So this leaves me with the radio...but does this make sense if output to headphones works fine? Am I following the right path / logic on the diagnosis?

Another thought I had - could you get an intermittent issue from a bad fuse? Thinking this doesn't make sense if there is no amp.

Any helpful direction / considerations would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Outlook Guy said:
- Intermittent lack of sound in most (ie just the tweeters working) or all speakers. No rhyme or reason...will just start working randomly or not work at all. Used to only be certain speakers but now tends to be all of them.
- Output fine through headphone jack.
- Turn signal sounds always work
- Alert Chimes intermittently work like the radio but sometimes you can just barely hear them.
What do you have available to you in terms of test equipment and schematics? The best place to start (easiest and least equipment intensive) is at any connectors between the radio and speakers. Make sure they're clean and tight. You can probably rule out a radio fuse if you don't see any flickering of the display on the radio face or the clock stays set.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Speleos said:
What do you have available to you in terms of test equipment and schematics? The best place to start (easiest and least equipment intensive) is at any connectors between the radio and speakers. Make sure they're clean and tight. You can probably rule out a radio fuse if you don't see any flickering of the display on the radio face or the clock stays set.
Well I have a multi meter - and I did see a speaker wiring schematic in another thread on this board. Radio does not flicker, works as it always has.

Can anyone confirm that the NON-BOSE system doesn't have an amplifier that I need to consider?

I think I'm going to open up one of the doors tomorrow to get a close look at one of the speakers in absence of any other info.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Outlook Guy said:
Can anyone confirm that the non-Bose system doesn't have an amplifier that I need to consider?
Your radio has its own internal amplifier circuit. All the Bose system does is add an additional power amp to drive some specially designed speakers that require the extra boost.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Speleos said:
Your radio has its own internal amplifier circuit. All the Bose system does is add an additional power amp to drive some specially designed speakers that require the extra boost.
Thank you for the info......hmm so perhaps I do have to keep the radio as a suspect for now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the non-Bose system doesn't have an amplifier that I need to consider?
According to literature I have read and the repair manual schematics, the Bose option consists of an amp under the dash and four additional speakers (including a sub woofer) that is added to the standard SLT radio package that has six speakers. If you don't have an amp, a center dash speaker and 3rd row side panel speakers you don't have the Bose pkg. The front door speaker grills usually will have the Bose label too.

The schematics do not show any external amp for the base radios.

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
Outlook Guy said:
Thank you for the info......hmm so perhaps I do have to keep the radio as a suspect for now.
Possibly. :shrug: Intermittent electronic problems are always the most difficult to trace and repair. That's why I suggest going for the connectors first. Many times, that's where the problem rests. If you really know how to do it, you could jump from the radio, past the BCM, to each individual speaker, and see how the radio performs. That might also be a way to either eliminate or pinpoint the BCM as the problem.

I don't know if any speakers are simply bussed straight through the BCM, or are passed through some additional circuitry. It seems that the speakers used for the chimes and turn signals are ones that receive their input through a special BCM circuit. To confuse the issue even more, the chimes are probably run through an amplifier circuit in the BCM to give volume control for them through the DIC. :confused: This is where a BCM schematic would be very handy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Without a doubt you have a bad amplifier. Its a PITA to replace but way cheaper than the dealer. Get lots of 1/4" wobble drive for your ratchet because your going to need them. Helps to remove the seat just so you a little room to work. An air or electric ratchet comes in handy too. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,412 Posts
2007AcadiaGMC said:
Without a doubt you have a bad amplifier. Its a PITA to replace but way cheaper than the dealer. Get lots of 1/4" wobble drive for your ratchet because your going to need them. Helps to remove the seat just so you a little room to work. An air or electric ratchet comes in handy too. :thumb:
Bayner66 said:
The schematics do not show any external amp for the base radios.
A bit late for this party, 2007AcadiaGMC! :sosad:

101 - 120 of 157 Posts