GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Acadia serviced yesterday - oil change, tire rotation, etc. Today I was going home for lunch and tried the "L" manual gears. Transmission kicked into 4th, but no press on the +/- button would move gears up or down. I stopped completely and went into park and then back into L and then it would not leave 1st. I called the dealership - they will be getting it back tomorrow to look at, but figured I would ask here - any ideas on what issue is?

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
First off... sounds like a coincidence, that the service didn't actually cause this problem.

Second... since the vehicle shifts into the proper gear when you put the shifter into L, it sounds like an electrical problem. Perhaps a wire has physically come loose.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
like he says-- it can detect its shifted to L..
but not detect the use of the buttons....

eletrical connection somewhere I would say

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Is the trans fine in normal auto mode?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Runs fine in D, just can't switch gears in L. Wherever it is, it stays.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The +/- buttons don't actually shift the gears, they select the highest gear allowed. So, putting it in L and selecting 4, the trans will start in 1 and shift up normally to 4 and no higher.

So, hitting - should get you a lower gear (assuming you're in the top gear allowed), but hitting + won't necessarily get you and up shift.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Loeffler said:
Runs fine in D, just can't switch gears in L. Wherever it is, it stays.
But does the NUMBER next to the L- go up and down when you click the + and - ???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I start from Park and shift to L it starts as "1", and I cannot increase that to 2 or 3 or more using the "+" button. If I start moving and try to increase it also will do nothing. I tried again this morning figuring maybe it was a glitch and would iron itself out before going to the dealership. I got to ~ 3000 RPM in 1st and it would not allow an upshift in L. I'm going to the dealership at lunch so hopefully I will be able to report what was wrong late today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Loeffler said:
If I start from Park and shift to L it starts as "1", and I cannot increase that to 2 or 3 or more using the "+" button. If I start moving and try to increase it also will do nothing. I tried again this morning figuring maybe it was a glitch and would iron itself out before going to the dealership. I got to ~ 3000 RPM in 1st and it would not allow an upshift in L. I'm going to the dealership at lunch so hopefully I will be able to report what was wrong late today or tomorrow.
It sure sounds like an electrical connection problem. Glad the transmission is working properly for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe not a connection, but a switch. If you said that while under way, the first time, you moved the selctor to L, and it said 4 on the display, then the connection sounds fine, just the switch is maybe bad, and won't let you bump it up. To test, if you did this again, would it let you select a lower gear while moving?

Hope they get it fixed for you. ;)

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
yeah,switch or connection..

you should definitely be able to shift to L- and move it all the way up to 6 if you like...
I do it all the time as soon as I shift into L from Park.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Loeffler said:
I hope they will be able to get to the bottom of this for you. I look forward to reading any information you would like to share. I hope your day goes better.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the Acadia back last night. Per the service slip they contacted GM Tech and ended up replacing the shifter. They also found a leak in the hoses going to the transmission cooler and had to replace those as well. I tried it last night and was able to go up & down through the selected gears. Apparently it was a bad switch. Car seemed to run better last night on way home.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. With 5,000 miles on my 2018 Acadia, I took it into the dealership for oil change and tire rotation. On the way home, I tried L position. The dash showed L1 and it would not let me raise the number using the + button. It is strange that an oil change or tire rotation would cause this problem, unless it is an electrical connection near the oil pan that gets bumped. Otherwise, my transmission works great in D.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to me. With 5,000 miles on my 2018 Acadia, I took it into the dealership for oil change and tire rotation. On the way home, I tried L position. The dash showed L1 and it would not let me raise the number using the + button. It is strange that an oil change or tire rotation would cause this problem, unless it is an electrical connection near the oil pan that gets bumped. Otherwise, my transmission works great in D.
I have a 2018 also, and it started doing the same thing. How did yours turn out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts