GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after countless hours staring at the computer in search of the perfect rims in the OEM 6x132 bolt pattern, I am taking a new approach.

I posted in the aftermarket most wanted thread that we need wheel adapters for this car to change up the bolt pattern. The thinking was that if the aftermarket world can't get moving fast enough, or maybe never have a full array of options for this vehicle market, then I would adapt the car instead. I posted that months ago it seems but never acted on it. Well a few days ago I began looking down this path. What I came upon was http://www.wheeladapter.com/. There are a few other sites I found as well, just do a Yahoo search for 'Billet Wheel Adapter'. I chose to complete the online form for the site linked here and the very next day I got a phone call from Fred Goeske himself! He said it was not a problem to make what I need, but he needed some more info from me.

So I am requesting the help of the Acadia community to assist so we can have a new product for all interested. He quoted me a cost of $65 to $85 dollars per adapter depending on how they needed to be constructed. However I need two measurements before I can proceed.

1. Backspace measurement of the OEM wheel

2. OEM Wheel stud size

With this information I can contact him back and consider getting this process going. I don't know if he would consider keeping these as a mold, or build future orders custom as well.

Now a few personal questions/comments that I need to think about before getting this done...

1. 6x139.7 is my new desired bolt pattern as this is what the Escalade and new Tahoe/Yukon use. Figure these cars seem to have the most support from the aftermarket. Any reason I should choose something else? I don't think a 5-lug option would be wise considering the heft of this vehicle, but man would that open up the floodgates for wheel selection.

2. Fred was not sure the exact width the adapters would need to be machined to, but from his email response "MOST 1" TO 1.5" THICK CUSTOM MADE ADAPTERS OR SPACERS START AT $65 EACH. LARGE TRUCKS ARE MORE."[/color] Thinking along these lines, what does this do to my offset when looking into new wheels? Is it going to be impossible to find what I need while still keeping the tire/wheel inside(or even with) the fender line? I was originally settling on a 265/50/20 tire and +35 offset, until I began this new journey.

3. Anyone use wheel adapters in the past that can shed some light on the overall ownership experience?

I also see on his website that he offers bolt pattern changes, but did not ask what that meant. When I recontact him I will ask. THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP[/color] :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
:D

How long did you end up on the phone with Fred? ;D

I think my conversation lasted at least 30 minutes and 5 was about the adaptors.... :)

He is a good guy and very well liked in the diesel community that I am a part of as well. No one has ever said a bad thing about his products. If you are going the adaptor route you definetly found the right company. They are a bit spendy, but they will definetly be bullet proof with no worries.

Most guys that I know running them are on 1 ton duallys and 3/4 ton trucks and still tow a lot of weight.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that... :thumb:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rolloffhill said:

I think my conversation lasted at least 30 minutes and 5 was about the adaptors.... :)

He is a good guy and very well liked in the diesel community that I am a part of as well. No one has ever said a bad thing about his products. If you are going the adaptor route you definetly found the right company. They are a bit spendy, but they will definetly be bullet proof with no worries.

Most guys that I know running them are on 1 ton duallys and 3/4 ton trucks and still tow a lot of weight.

That is very nice to know! I was on the phone for maybe 5 minutes total, we talked about the adapters and the odd bolt pattern. Then he said he would email me back. He may have heard my son in the background and realized it was not a good time for me...mind you this was an early Saturday afternoon and I had just submitted the online form the previous evening. When it said on the website that Fred would call you back, I thought it was a joke. You can imagine how surprised I was when he introduced himself on the call. I'm a bit too young to know exactly who he was, but read the quick bio on the website and thought it was awesome to have talked to him. Talk about GREAT customer service too, I still have wheel companies yet to contact me back after over a month, and he gets back to me in less than 24 hours!

BTW: Don't know if it is just me, but the pics didn't work.

·
Registered
812 Posts
if its worth trying then no problem with me. but please repost the pics.... cant see it too...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure how this is going to work... Sure, there is a huge selection of after market wheels in this 6x139.7 or even 6x135 bolt pattern, but the majority of these comes with a very low offset of around 15+ or a high offset of 35+... You're really pushing it with a 35+ already... Adding a space/bolt pattern changer would definitely push these wheels out beyond the fenders... So now with this new bolt pattern I think you might have a hard time finding wheels with a very high offset to keep them from sticking out...

This is just my understanding of it, I do hope that I'm wrong... I'm in the market for 24s and am open ideas...

·
Registered
101 Posts
The stock 18" and 19" wheels have a +50mm offset. If the adapter was 1" thick, the offset would need to be +24.6mm to maintain stock geometry...with a 1.5" adapter, the offset would need to be +12mm.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Phazer_II said:
The stock 18" and 19" wheels have a +50mm offset. If the adapter was 1" thick, the offset would need to be +24.6mm to maintain stock geometry...with a 1.5" adapter, the offset would need to be +12mm.
You need a wheel with 75.4 offset if you are using a 1" adapter and want the rim to ride in the same place as stock wheel with 50 offset.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phazer_II said:
Rod S said:
You need a wheel with 75.4 offset if you are using a 1" adapter and want the rim to ride in the same place as stock wheel with 50 offset.
So wait, which way is correct? Am I not understanding this, these are saying two different things right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took a look at that calculator and realized I WAS backwards...my bad! Now, finding a new wheel with enough offset will be a chore.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phazer_II said:
I took a look at that calculator and realized I WAS backwards...my bad! Now, finding a new wheel with enough offset will be a chore.
****! :banghead: I was so close to finding a solution. Had some nice wheels picked out already too! Oh well, another reason that this forum and it's members are invaluable! Thanks all for the help! :thumb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
imgntht said:
rolloffhill said:

That is very nice to know! I was on the phone for maybe 5 minutes total, we talked about the adapters and the odd bolt pattern. Then he said he would email me back. He may have heard my son in the background and realized it was not a good time for me...mind you this was an early Saturday afternoon and I had just submitted the online form the previous evening. When it said on the website that Fred would call you back, I thought it was a joke. You can imagine how surprised I was when he introduced himself on the call. I'm a bit too young to know exactly who he was, but read the quick bio on the website and thought it was awesome to have talked to him. Talk about GREAT customer service too, I still have wheel companies yet to contact me back after over a month, and he gets back to me in less than 24 hours!

BTW: Don't know if it is just me, but the pics didn't work.
I'll work on the pics in a bit.

I did the same, emailed him and he called in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not going to work. THere are no aftermarket wheels out there that would give you the proper offset you require with spacers. Usually 1" or 1.25" is the thinnest they can safely be made. You need a +35 to +40 offset to fit the acadia correctly, and the spacer would add 25-31mm of spacing. There are no +60-70mm wheels made for 6 lug trucks as they would fit absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone know the offset of the 22s on the new Escalade? I think those would look good on the Acadia if they would fit. Plus, with all the people putting 24 to 30in rims on Escalades the stockers should come cheap on the Ebays.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tomahawk said:
Anyone know the offset of the 22s on the new Escalade? I think those would look good on the Acadia if they would fit. Plus, with all the people putting 24 to 30in rims on Escalades the stockers should come cheap on the Ebays.
Both the bolt pattern and the offset are wrong unless you really want those rims sticking out a LONG way.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all. I gave up on the idea awhile back after reading this thread and realizing it was an impossible dream. I emailed Fred back about a week or so ago to let him know that I appreciated his quick reply and helpfulness, but that it would not work for me(us) afterall.

I'm still searching for the right wheels. Can't seem to find something that hits all fronts for me..cost, style, size, bolt pattern, offset. Doesn't seem like too much to ask for right? ;D Actually I found my ideal rim in a 22" but now the wife is ready to chop my :banana: off for going so big...If only I could convince her that the ride would not suffer too much. :-\

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wait! You found the ideal 22"????

What is it? Shoot me a message!

·
Registered
812 Posts
post the pics imgntht of the 22"....... cant wait!!!! :blob:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here it is...all 55lbs of it! :eek: So by "ideal" I meant the design that I had in my head when I first bought the car. I'd have them on my car already though if there was a 20" option. Called the company and they don't plan on offering in 20" ???

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts