GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 GMC Acadia SLT-1 V6. I have recently had my car at a dealership for another issue out of my control and was asked about the message I have seen pop up occasionally and go away. "Steering Assist Reduced Drive With Care". When that code does come on my fans run all the time and high and my AC doesnt work and blows warm air. They told me they recommend to replace my thermostat which is in the water inlet assembly and quoted me $725 to do the work. I called the dealer that I usually go to and asked what it would cost me to replace the thermostat and they told me $515 and change out the door. They did inform me that if I wanted them to diagnose it, that it would cost me $155, and that if that was what they found it would be $155+$515 to do it but if it did not fix the issue I wouldn't have to pay for it since they misdiagnosed it. Well since they know me they said that I can bring it in and they will diagnose it and if they find the same issue they wont charge me the $155. I had the dealership that told me this issue print out what codes were being thrown, it is the P0128 and U0401, I am not sure what the U0401 is about but I am guessing it has to do with the other code??? Also, I have read that sometimes it can be the sensor that goes bad and it can be replaced. Should I just go ahead with having my normal dealership replace the thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
... Should I just go ahead with having my normal dealership replace the thermostat?
Take it to your 'normal' dealer's service center. You've said nothing about the warranty staus of your vehicle. It may be a covered item and repaired for you at no charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2019 GMC Acadia SLT-1 V6. I have recently had my car at a dealership for another issue out of my control and was asked about the message I have seen pop up occasionally and go away. "Steering Assist Reduced Drive With Care". When that code does come on my fans run all the time and high and my AC doesnt work and blows warm air. They told me they recommend to replace my thermostat which is in the water inlet assembly and quoted me $725 to do the work. I called the dealer that I usually go to and asked what it would cost me to replace the thermostat and they told me $515 and change out the door. They did inform me that if I wanted them to diagnose it, that it would cost me $155, and that if that was what they found it would be $155+$515 to do it but if it did not fix the issue I wouldn't have to pay for it since they misdiagnosed it. Well since they know me they said that I can bring it in and they will diagnose it and if they find the same issue they wont charge me the $155. I had the dealership that told me this issue print out what codes were being thrown, it is the P0128 and U0401, I am not sure what the U0401 is about but I am guessing it has to do with the other code??? Also, I have read that sometimes it can be the sensor that goes bad and it can be replaced. Should I just go ahead with having my normal dealership replace the thermostat?
Just got mine back tonight. Changed sensor... not the problem. Had the dealer test for the issue, stated thermostat... changed thermostat, not the problem. These are known to have the wires break inside the connector at the sensor. That was my issue after $1000

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that’s what I’m afraid of that it’s something that is not the thermostat. But the message just came up again and the dealership I usually deal with looked at it last week and couldn’t find the code but it came back so I’m taking it tomorrow for them to look at it. Hopefully they find the issue. Cause I live in Florida and when it happens my AC blows hot and I need that AC in Florida lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea that’s what I’m afraid of that it’s something that is not the thermostat. But the message just came up again and the dealership I usually deal with looked at it last week and couldn’t find the code but it came back so I’m taking it tomorrow for them to look at it. Hopefully they find the issue. Cause I live in Florida and when it happens my AC blows hot and I need that AC in Florida lol
The code automatically resets itself if the issue is resolved for 100 kms. Mine did that many times but kept coming back. My bet is the wire as a thermostat is either open or closed. It is only mechanical and not electronic. Any heat passing will show on the sensor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am taking to the dealership tomorrow to have them look at it. Should I mention to them about the wire on the sensor? Also, the sensor is located on the radiator, correct?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The code automatically resets itself if the issue is resolved for 100 kms. Mine did that many times but kept coming back. My bet is the wire as a thermostat is either open or closed. It is only mechanical and not electronic. Any heat passing will show on the sensor
Are you saying that the car fixes the problem on its own, as to why the code goes away and everything goes back to normal after a while?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you saying that the car fixes the problem on its own, as to why the code goes away and everything goes back to normal after a while?
I am having the same problem with my 2017 Acadia. took it to a Auto shop near me which has a very good reputation. they diagnosed it as a sticky thermostat. quoted me $845 to fix it though. Ugh.

I just find it hard to believe its the thermostat because my temp gauge goes to full cold even though the engine is operating at the optimal temperature. While driving it suddenly everything will work right. Fans shut off, temp gauge jumps to about the middle, and my car starts blowing AC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2017 Acadia. took it to a Auto shop near me which has a very good reputation. they diagnosed it as a sticky thermostat. quoted me $845 to fix it though. Ugh.

I just find it hard to believe its the thermostat because my temp gauge goes to full cold even though the engine is operating at the optimal temperature. While driving it suddenly everything will work right. Fans shut off, temp gauge jumps to about the middle, and my car starts blowing AC.
Yes that is the same thing that happens to me. I took it last week to GMC dealer and they couldn’t find the code so they didn’t want me to pay a diagnosis fee. So they said call as soon as the code comes back on. Well this morning it came back on and I took pictures of it as they told me to do. I’m taking it to them tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes that is the same thing that happens to me. I took it last week to GMC dealer and they couldn’t find the code so they didn’t want me to pay a diagnosis fee. So they said call as soon as the code comes back on. Well this morning it came back on and I took pictures of it as they told me to do. I’m taking it to them tomorrow morning.
Please post if you get it fixed and what the problem actually was. Still cant believe its a thermostat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same problem: "steering assist reduced, drive with care". The AC stopped blowing and the temp gauge read '0'. I had an oil change & tire rotation scheduled at the dealer. On their complimentary system check, they stated my battery CCA was lower than it should be, 550 CCA as opposed to 730 CCA. I had previously disconnected my negative battery post and cleaned it, which resolved the steering problem temporarily similar to other readers. My battery, an Interstate from Costco, was 31 months old on a 36 month warranty. I returned it, getting a full refund (THANKS COSTCO!.) I purchased a new 730 CCA battery, replaced it a month ago and have had no problems since. So before replacing sensors, thermostats etc. try checking on your battery's condition. It worked for me. Good luck all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts