GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NICE "HOW TO" ARTICLE ON VEHICLE DETAILING!

Found this article while roaming the web. Has some good pointers on how to detail your vehicle (including a nice breakdown on how to apply a clay bar). I found the illustrations to be helpful as well. Enjoy. ;)

http://www.matey-matey.com/auto-detailing.shtml

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: NICE "HOW TO" ARTICLE ON VEHICLE DETAILING!

The article was good for the scratch removal and how to use the orbital sander but i think they left too much out of the washing part. e.g. they didnt talk about using different mitts for the wheels (brake dust) and the body, as well as using a 2 bucket method to avoid putting the dirt and brake dust right back on. The rest was good info but not worthy of a sticky I think. The best products and information is from Zaino. Period.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

I would recommend going to autogeek.com Click on "Detailing facts,tips, tricks," and click on washing...etc. Autogeek has all the "How too's!" Also, how to remove BUGS which I use a Pinnacle hard brick rectangular sponge
they recommend. This tool is the perfect bug remover using plain car wash soap in a bucket! I bought 2 and gave one to friend that is a chronic bug complainer like me! This is my go to site for the BEST detail information. IMO, of coarse.........

·
Registered
88 Posts

I stand corrected. The best information is from both Zaino and Autogeek.com. Autogeek.com detailing forums are fantastic and answer the most gregarious and nitpicky questions.

·
Registered
88 Posts

bumble78: That is one of the best articles I have ever read on detailing and I am quite the OCD on detailing. Once again I must recommend: ZAINO-ZAINO-ZAINO.

Thanks for the fantastic link.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

I personally go to local touchless car wash which includes underbody flush with exterior soap and rinse cycles and use waffle type towel for final drying. There are no swirl marks on my exterior either because my cars have Klasse AIO and apply several coats of their sealant every year. My cars exterior including wheels is detailed in 10 minutes. Who has the best shining exterior? Then I use the California Duster every morning until the next rain. Black cars are the worse to bring out deep shine appearance. This is how I keep my auto exteriors looking the best all the time. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

Touchless car washes are a good starting place, but they don't really come CLOSE to getting your car clean. Next time it's a bit dirty, run it through the car wash, then go home and run your finger over the rocker panel and see how much dirt still comes off. Sometimes I go so far as HAND washing my black G twice before applying Zaino (and that's a full washing machine load of microfiber towels and mitts when I do that! :))

BTW, I'm LOVING my new Porter Cable polisher. Best $125 you can spend if you are an OCDetailer.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

admin said:
Touchless car washes are a good starting place, but they don't really come CLOSE to getting your car clean. Next time it's a bit dirty, run it through the car wash, then go home and run your finger over the rocker panel and see how much dirt still comes off. Sometimes I go so far as HAND washing my black G twice before applying Zaino (and that's a full washing machine load of microfiber towels and mitts when I do that! :))

We have the latest and greatest type brushless system in our city and will compare to my Mr. Clean garden hose system any day or any 2 bucket system. Our best town brushless system leaves NO residue on lower body of any of our autos. Final spot free rinse is also using filtered water. They also showed me their 50 gallon drums of Blue Coral shampoo. All brushless systems are NOT the same. If you have access to the cadillac type brushless wash systems with cadillac ingrediants, I would put my auto wash up against any 2 bucket system, excluding the rims. I do the rims last with Mr. Clean wash system time to time I rarely use my Mr. Clean or 2 bucket system anymore since I discovered the greatest brushless system out there and we happen to have in our town. Costs me $6.00 for total 10 minutes including final wipe down with no mess and fuss. There have been vast improvements with newer brushless systems in the past 3 years if cadillac equipment installations. The 2 partners that run the brushless system I patrinize, have the customer in mind and one of them is always there during the day tending their 4 brushless bays using some best shampoos to float away the dirt. You can find these cadillac systems and people who care what ingrediants they use to keep the customer coming back with total residue free body wash.
There are brushless systems and there are brushless systems as there are mechanics and mechanics. I am lucky to have access to local system with owners who care. For me, $6.00 and I get a professional body wash in 10 minutes from brushless system I know. Guess, I am lucky.

·
Registered
6 Posts

JF7FSU said:
bumble78: That is one of the best articles I have ever read on detailing and I am quite the OCD on detailing. Once again I must recommend: ZAINO-ZAINO-ZAINO.

Thanks for the fantastic link.
Not a problem, there are a lot of OCDetailers on that forum. You can join the forum and compair stories with them and trade tips, they are fairly open minded about what you drive.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Thanks I finally stepped up and purchased an Ultimate Detailing machine (UD) which is basically a newer model of the PC polisher. I'm waiting for it to come in and will give a full report.

·
Registered
88 Posts

teetertotter said:
I personally go to local touchless car wash which includes underbody flush with exterior soap and rinse cycles and use waffle type towel for final drying. There are no swirl marks on my exterior either because my cars have Klasse AIO and apply several coats of their sealant every year. My cars exterior including wheels is detailed in 10 minutes. Who has the best shining exterior? Then I use the California Duster every morning until the next rain. Black cars are the worse to bring out deep shine appearance. This is how I keep my auto exteriors looking the best all the time. :cheers: :cheers:

I assure you your Acadia will never look like my Outlook from a machine wash.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts