GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, I just bought a 2015 Acadia Denali. Black w blk leather seats and all the bells amd and whistles.
A quick question: should I get it serviced at the dealer or will a good local mechanic be able to keep it running for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Nice looking truck!! Using the dealer or a good local shop is really personal opinion. I am of the school of thought that I want a GMC trained mechanic working on my vehicle as he is trained in the particulars of my vehicle. A good local shop is more than likely just as proficient in maintaining my vehicle as well, I just feel more comfortable at the dealer. There are probably more than a few members here that would disagree with me and say that the dealer is to expensive and that they have had many a bad experience there so forth and so on. First off we have all had bad experiences with both dealer and local shops And secondly my dealership has a price match guarantee for both parts and labor up to and including windshield wipers. No brainer on my end but to each is his own. I hope this helps and hope you enjoy your Acadia nearly as much as I have mine.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you feel like spending 1.5x - 3x the price for the same repairs, go to a dealer. A good independent shop has all the subscriptions and the know how to maintain almost any vehicle. Try to find one that has an ASE master transmission mechanic on staff, because then you know they're trying and paying for the right people. That's how I tend to weed out the pretenders.

Most shops will just spec the exact same ACDelco OEM aftermarket part/fluid that the dealer would use unless you ask/direct them differently.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
If you feel like spending 1.5x - 3x the price for the same repairs, go to a dealer. A good independent shop has all the subscriptions and the know how to maintain almost any vehicle. Try to find one that has an ASE master transmission mechanic on staff, because then you know they're trying and paying for the right people. That's how I tend to weed out the pretenders.

Most shops will just spec the exact same ACDelco OEM aftermarket part/fluid that the dealer would use unless you ask/direct them differently.
Completely disagree on your price point concerning dealer costs. I have actually paid less going through the dealer than a independent shop. Every dealer I go to these days has a price match guarantee on almost everything they do. A few years ago I would agree with you completely. If its not that way where you live then I apologize and feel bad that they are stiill treating customers that way. I was just in a for a oil change and 45k service and they said that my windshield wipers were junked out and did I want them to replace them, didn’t hesitate to say yes and the blade with install was cheaper than the same blade at Autozone. Like I said I hope other dealers are doing things the same way and if not I hope they catch up soon.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

As someone who was once part owner of a shop, I do not disagree on using an independent shop. However, you are hard pressed to find a general repair shop with an ASE transmission tech on staff. Majority of those are working at the "transmission only" shops.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Completely disagree on your price point concerning dealer costs. I have actually paid less going through the dealer than a independent shop. Every dealer I go to these days has a price match guarantee on almost everything they do. A few years ago I would agree with you completely. If its not that way where you live then I apologize and feel bad that they are stiill treating customers that way. I was just in a for a oil change and 45k service and they said that my windshield wipers were junked out and did I want them to replace them, didn’t hesitate to say yes and the blade with install was cheaper than the same blade at Autozone. Like I said I hope other dealers are doing things the same way and if not I hope they catch up soon.
Maybe for rinky-dink stuff like oil changes, tires, wipers, etc. some dealers will offer competitive rates, but every time I've called to compare prices for more advanced service, the dealer is way overpriced.

Every flush I've had is half or less at my preferred local shop. Brakes were $250 less. Torque converter replacement, way way less.

Same parts. Less money.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As someone who was once part owner of a shop, I do not disagree on using an independent shop. However, you are hard pressed to find a general repair shop with an ASE transmission tech on staff. Majority of those are working at the "transmission only" shops.
Very true, but those all-around awesome mechanic shops still exist, just have to do a little research and homework. I ask a lot of questions about the guys that are on payroll before taking my vehicle anywhere.

I used to be a full-blooded, card-carrying member of the dealer service crowd until I learned the error of my ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts