GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site....I've been lurking here and at dealerships for weeks!!!...and I have learned so much!!!!

I am ready to sign.......blue/gold mist slt-1....with some nice extras (sunroof, power lift, conv package and head up display).....the dealers in my area are not budging...no inventory and nothing to trade with.....

my question is that my dealer is coming in at $4750 for my 98 Tahoe instead of the $6560 (the "fair") price listed by Kelly's. Is this typical or is he ripping me off???? I am quite disappointed. Anyway he said with this trade in and no other $ down my lease payment will be $470.....

Thanks for any input!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
They have the most 'room' in your trade. I got more than Kelley Blue Book, and it's semantics, really. They are really just discounting the new car if they give you a very large number.

If your car is in better than fair condition, I would either sell it or try to find another dealer. If you look at the prices paid on other threads, you will see that most of us paid slightly more than invoice before any trades, taxes, etc.

If they are not coming off at all AND are lowballing your current car, I wouldn't buy from them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
kellibelli said:
Great site....I've been lurking here and at dealerships for weeks!!!...and I have learned so much!!!!

I am ready to sign.......blue/gold mist slt-1....with some nice extras (sunroof, power lift, conv package and head up display).....the dealers in my area are not budging...no inventory and nothing to trade with.....

my question is that my dealer is coming in at $4750 for my 98 Tahoe instead of the $6560 (the "fair") price listed by Kelly's. Is this typical or is he ripping me off???? I am quite disappointed. Anyway he said with this trade in and no other $ down my lease payment will be $470.....

Thanks for any input!!!!!
Both. He is ripping you off and this is typical. I suggest you take your car to the nearest Car Max and see what they will offer. Sometimes Car Max will do well but it depends on the current market demand for your trade. We sold them our 2004 Volvo S60. The high KBB was around $19,000 and CM gave us $18,500.00. I was very happy with that since the dealers wanted to give us something in the mid $16,000 to $17,000 range. Car Max will give you a written no obligation offer that is good for 7 days. If you like their offer, take it to your GMC dealer and tell them to better it or at least match it. If they don't do it, either sell it yourself or go back to the Car Max and they'll cut you a check for it on the spot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We currently have a '99 Yukon SLE. We will paying $300 over invoice for our Acadia that is on order. Once our Acadia comes in, we will get $5000 for the Yukon (provided I keep the mileage under 90,000). When I mentioned kelly blue blue and edmunds estimates, they said we had to take into consideration demand for it (including what gas prices are doing), new windshield, new shocks, new tires (not sure about this one - may have to argue some more if I don't sell it private). I'm not happy with $5000 so, once I get the build date, I will try to sell it myself before the Acadia arrives. One dealer commented how well kept the Yukon appeared - they offered $4000.

A different dealer offered to sell the same Acadia $800 over invoice - said they had quite a few where another dealership paid them $1000 over invoice and then turned around to sell it at MSRP.

Don't know if this info will help since we are buying - if we end up trading in the Yukon...$35,768.13 ($300 over invoice) - $5000 + 2173.34 (TTL) = $32941.47. Will finance $30,000 at 5% for 4 years = $691 (our other choices are 4.75%/3 yrs = $896 or 5.4%/5 yrs = $572).

I agree, this is a great site! It has provided a wealth of info and helped me decide what I wanted before I ordered. My husband will be glad when I finally get it in so hopefully I will stop obsessing with this forum. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Since you aren't going to get squat for your car from the dealership, why not sell it yourself? You should get more for it.

Also, expand your search for an Acadia...you can buy it anywhere and have it shipped to you.

My other idea is to wait. They will be starting up a 3rd shift in a month or so, and this will increase the number of vehicles produced per day. So theoretically, there should be more inventory on dealer's lots...which might entice dealerships to deal more on the Acadia.

In all honesty, the longer you can wait the better. It seems like they need to get rid of some bugs on the vehicle. Plus, being a new vehicle design, the "I gotta have it" factor is still in high swing...meaning that dealers can still ask for sticker if they want to and probably will get it from the consumer. The longer you wait, the better chance you have of getting your vehicle at a better price.

·
Registered
125 Posts
our dealer initially gave us a lower price than Good condition KBB... Since we ordered a 2008 and weren't trading our car until we took delivery we talked him into rerunning the numbers and giving us KBB Good condition at the time of trade... with the lowest possible price being the lowball offer they started with (in case KBB dropped a lot in 2 months). I felt this was fair since its hard to judge future value of a vehicle...

We don't have a carmax in our area otherwise I would have tried that, too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my area, (Memphis), I was told by multiple dealers, GM and non-GM that in this area they use the "Black Book", which generally has a lower value than Blue Book. This meant that their initial offer was 20% less than the Good condition of KBB, and both dealers which looked at our Jeep said they would rate it "Excellent, almost new" with 34k miles for a 2004 Limited Grand Cherokee.

I was getting supplier price on the Acadia, which was saving me some, but the trade was ticking me off. Then I started looking at what Jeeps in my area were going for, and actually, what they offered was only about $2k less than the asking price for similar Jeeps around town with same age and same milage. I came to appreciate that they were not trying to rip me too much, but I did get them to come up some as well. We ended about 50% between the fair and good for KBB, and more than the excellent for the Black Book.

We considered selling ourselves, but since we were ordering the Acadia, we didn't have the luxury of time. We might have sold it too quickly, in which case we would not have a car to haul the kid in for a month or two, or we might have still had it on the market and ended up trading it anyway. We decided quickly that we would take our chances on working with the dealer on the trade price when our car came in, and we would walk away if we couldn't live with the deal. In the end, the dealer did alright, but it was helped that we really wanted the Acadia. And it was worth every cent and every minute of waiting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I couldn't believe the dealer offer I got on my trade-in so I quickly put an ad on craigslist and eBay. I still got over $1900 more than what the dealer offered (I think that's what it was, this was a few months ago) and my buyer was psyched they got a decent used ride for under what the rest were going for!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just sold my 2003 Chevy Silverado extended cab for $15,000 without even putting a sign on it. Dealers were offering $12,000-$13,000 for trade-in. I would have taken $14,000. I sold my truck to keep our payments more manageable.

Now the wife gets a new Acadia and I'm going to drive a '99 Acura TL. ??? But, when she goes out of town for work, I get to drive the Acadia. ;D

But, I am going to get me a used mid-sized 4-door pickup in a year or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts