GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who do oil changes in your own Acadia the tech at my dealer showed me a quicker way to reset the Oil Life Monitor than was listed in the manual or talked about here on the forum. With the car off simply turn the key to the power position and within 5 seconds pump the gas pedal up and down 3 times. Voila, the OLM is reset.

·
Registered
38 Posts
canyonblue737 said:
With the car off simply turn the key to the power position and within 5 seconds pump the gas pedal up and down 3 times. Voila, the OLM is reset.
Good to see SW consistency across the GM model lineup. This is how my old Envoy's oil life readout was reset.

·
Registered
428 Posts
This is the way that the oil life monitor has been reset in vehicles since GM brought out the oil life monitor in the 99 year model pick ups.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So why would they not say so in the manual? They only want their techs to know about the easy way to do it?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It seems to me the menu driven option that was so self explanatory that I did not need to read the manual is better. I find it easy to push and hold the button to reset it. It's also easier for me to lift my finger than it is to push the gas pedal. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
GAR said:
It seems to me the menu driven option that was so self explanatory that I did not need to read the manual is better. I find it easy to push and hold the button to reset it. It's also easier for me to lift my finger than it is to push the gas pedal. :)
Guess I didn't realize the other way was that easy, since I haven't actually done it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I will say that it was very good of GM to make this car "backwards compatible" with the older model cars. This way, if someone was accustom to doing it the old way, it will still work.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Actually on the SLE Acadia's you have to reset the monitor that way because they dont have the DIC to use the button. Just FYI

·
Registered
284 Posts
GAR said:
I will say that it was very good of GM to make this car "backwards compatible" with the older model cars. This way, if someone was accustom to doing it the old way, it will still work.
Yes. It's one of those things not said (well, not in everything) but still works for nearly everything, from our '93 Fleetwood to mom's new '08 Malibu (the latter being a good thing because, for whatever reason, even with the DIC and the fact that every OTHER function resets...the oil monitor refuses to reset via the DIC Select button). Hit the pedal 3 times, and bingo, all is well.

And as said, this is the way it has to be done on SLE's, for instance, anyway because of the lack of a DIC. I haven't run into a new GM vehicle yet that, even without being in the manual, this old technique didn't still work for.

·
Registered
275 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
toasteroven said:
dfrank78 said:
Actually on the SLE Acadia's you have to reset the monitor that way because they dont have the DIC to use the button. Just FYI
My SLE doesn't have that limitation.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1631.0

Although I seem to recall holding the trip down reset the OLM as well...
That is exactly how i reset the OLM in my SLE.. never knew about the "key and brake" method.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
kram said:
toasteroven said:
dfrank78 said:
My SLE doesn't have that limitation.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1631.0

Although I seem to recall holding the trip down reset the OLM as well...
That is exactly how i reset the OLM in my SLE.. never knew about the "key and brake" method.
I wish I knew about this when I had my 01 Pontiac Grand Am. Use to have to remove the fuse panel cover on driverside dash with the drivers door open, and push the red reset button. Wonder if the pedal trick would've worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts