GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

Ive been viewing this site since purchasing a new 09 Acadia this April and finally joined in yesterday. I truly wish my first post would be full with positive remarks but the vehicle let us down bad last week. Here's the story.

Me, the wife and our two kids loaded up and took off from TN to head to Disney world. The vehicle had 2330 miles on it when we left. About half way down in Perry GA, the check engine light came on followed by "reduced engine power". We pulled to the side of the road as the vehicle would only do about 20 mph max. Called on-star. On-star gave us directions to the closest dealership. That dealership was closed down solid. We limped to a gas station where I popped the hood hoping it may be something simple. Couldnt find anything obvious. Just when I was thinking about pulling fuses to attempt an ECM re-set, a guy came up and eventually offered to guide us to an "open" dealership. Finally got there and finally found that the high press fuel pump was shot. No pump availiable for 3 days. :mad:

I must say that this small dealership did an excellent job getting us into a rental (brand new Tahoe) and getting us back on the road to hug Mickey. By the time our trip was over and headed back north, the Acadia was repaired and we swapped again in Perry Ga with the continued drive to TN.

We were taken care of, there were lots of apologies, and all appears to be fine with the vehicle right now. Its just the fact that this happened so early. Our last 8 vehicles were all GM products and this is the first one that pulled us off the highway. This and the other issues seen here have given us a very low confidence level with this vehicle. The irony is that we traded an 03 TrailBlazer for it because we thought at 90K miles that it would be the one to leave us stranded one day. It probably would have made it down and back.

I'm sorry to say but this coupled with the current issues with my new TrailBlazer SS has forced us to drop the brand. They are both gone when there are right side up. I grew up with GM and do hope during the upcoming changes they fix the quality issues that appear to be widespread at this point. I've had my eye on the Camaro but now Im not sure. :sosad:

Thanks for letting me vent folks. Happy motoring and always back up on-star with another phone call of your own.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do hope that you let your spouse know that she's gone after 1 'mess up'. :eek:hno:

Sounds like you were treated very well by the GM family. Best of luck with your next perfect vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum..

Ive been viewing this site since purchasing a new 09 Acadia this April and finally joined in yesterday. I truly wish my first post would be full with positive remarks but the vehicle let us down bad last week.
This is human nature, and we see it a lot. If things are going well, we tend to not say anything. You'll never get a thanks from the state legislature for doing 54 in a 55 zone. :)

I'm glad you received good treatment at the dealer.

In my experience, cars are fickle things. I had the exact same thing happen on a 1983 Dodge Diplomat I had used since it was new (fleet vehicle). It was kind enough for the pump to fail in my driveway though. :)

I'm sorry to say but this coupled with the current issues with my new TrailBlazer SS has forced us to drop the brand.
I'm in the process of collecting bad experiences reported online for several brands/models of competing vehicles and once completed I will post here with the results. As an early data example, as of today the Acura MDX forum "problems" board contains 30791 posts in 3203 topics for a vehicle that is at most 8 model years old. Posts per model year= 3848.

They have a Knowledge base of problems that is 27 pages long with 10 problems per page.
Acura MDX forum- problems

As of today, the Acadia has 6573 posts in 367 topics in our problem board after almost 3 model years. Posts per model year = 2191. To be apples:apples, we'd have to include the Enclave (423 posts in 41 topics and Outlook, which has no dedicated section, so I used ALL tech posts to offset the two model years of the Enclave- 545 posts in 100 topics). With all three combined, this is 7541 posts, or 2513 posts per model year.

...the other issues seen here have given us a very low confidence level with this vehicle.
I'm also going to try & see how many "I'm never buying GM again" type of members we have here and will contrast this to the active membership (2 posts or more) for statistical analysis.

Oh, and if you're still upside down in the Trailblazer SS when the time comes, I'll give you $800 for the motor- it has the 6.0L Gen 4 motor, right? :)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
So the Acura has 1335 more than the Acadia with a 5 year model head start; I think I will stick with my Acadia

·
Registered
45 Posts
Aren't you guys assuming that the same number of MDX vs Acadias are sold? I'm guessing that the MDX sells more and odds are, there will be more posts on their board right? I sure hope the Acadia proves to be reliable. This is my first new car, so I hope it's a good experience :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Just as with HP and torque, there are many variables involved.

I'm not saying the Acadia is a perfect vehicle (I don't really think anyone here is). It just seems like we hear increasing doom & gloom and how the grass is perceived to be greener on the other side of the street in another showroom. I have an in-law with this mindset that always says (fill in the blank) is a better place to live than Florida. Really? Tell me how you feel when you have to pay the state income tax there, and if it's so great, why do you still live here? There are good points and bad points, just like with vehicles.

I think it will be interesting to see how some of these perceived superior models are thought of by their owners, since there is a forum for nearly every vehicle made.

There is also the True Delta website which is a non-partisan clearinghouse of owner-reported repairs. The person that runs it is a member here, but I don't think he owns an Acadia.

Here is the Acadia reliability page there. 2008= 71 trips to the dealer out of 241 vehicles (fewer trips are better). Trips/vehicle average= .29.

Here is the MDX reliability page. 2008= 74 trips to the dealer from 47 vehicles. Trips/vehicle average= 1.57.

I have a lot to sort through, and at this point I have no idea if the Acadia is better or worse than any of the other vehicles1. I have a lot of data to compile before a definitive conclusion can be reached.

1 The Acadia is my wife's vehicle. I can't really get excited about a people mover. I can say with the exception of the navigation voice command, it does what we need it to do and that it is overpriced as compared to some other models. Now if we were talking about Camaros, Trans Ams, and Chevy V8s, I'd be kind of passionate about the subject....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Islandman said:
I'm sorry to say but this coupled with the current issues with my new TrailBlazer SS has forced us to drop the brand.
Seriously? Sounds like the dealer gave your family awesome customer service. You had one thing go wrong and you didn't get the run around, your family was taken care of and back on the road. I'm not reading a good enough justification here to wrap that $ in a big bow and send it to Japan. :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Islandman said:
Hello to all!

Ive been viewing this site since purchasing a new 09 Acadia this April and finally joined in yesterday. I truly wish my first post would be full with positive remarks but the vehicle let us down bad last week. Here's the story.

Me, the wife and our two kids loaded up and took off from TN to head to Disney world. The vehicle had 2330 miles on it when we left. About half way down in Perry GA, the check engine light came on followed by "reduced engine power". We pulled to the side of the road as the vehicle would only do about 20 mph max. Called on-star. On-star gave us directions to the closest dealership. That dealership was closed down solid. We limped to a gas station where I popped the hood hoping it may be something simple. Couldnt find anything obvious. Just when I was thinking about pulling fuses to attempt an ECM re-set, a guy came up and eventually offered to guide us to an "open" dealership. Finally got there and finally found that the high press fuel pump was shot. No pump availiable for 3 days. :mad:

I must say that this small dealership did an excellent job getting us into a rental (brand new Tahoe) and getting us back on the road to hug Mickey. By the time our trip was over and headed back north, the Acadia was repaired and we swapped again in Perry Ga with the continued drive to TN.

We were taken care of, there were lots of apologies, and all appears to be fine with the vehicle right now. Its just the fact that this happened so early. Our last 8 vehicles were all GM products and this is the first one that pulled us off the highway. This and the other issues seen here have given us a very low confidence level with this vehicle. The irony is that we traded an 03 TrailBlazer for it because we thought at 90K miles that it would be the one to leave us stranded one day. It probably would have made it down and back.

I'm sorry to say but this coupled with the current issues with my new TrailBlazer SS has forced us to drop the brand. They are both gone when there are right side up. I grew up with GM and do hope during the upcoming changes they fix the quality issues that appear to be widespread at this point. I've had my eye on the Camaro but now Im not sure. :sosad:

Thanks for letting me vent folks. Happy motoring and always back up on-star with another phone call of your own.
Wait a year or two and you can get one of those Chinese Hummer's

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm probably going to be a one and done GM owner, but not for reliability reasons. I've had several minor irritation problems (mostly fixed) which make me think the Acadia may be slightly below average in quality, but "average" quality today is pretty darn good, so I am satisfied.

Warning: :hijacked:

I am just so disgusted with the government bailout era that I would sell my Acadia out of spite today if there was a single other vehicle on the market that met my needs remotely as well as the Acadia does. I've already cut ties with one bailed out company by refinancing my mortgage away from Citigroup. I'd like to implement a personal policy of not doing business with companies bailed out by the U.S. government, but I'm finding that hard to do with respect to the Acadia.

It's really a testimony to the sweet spot that the Lambdas have hit that I still own mine. I was racking my brain the other night to think of a non-GM, non-Chrysler vehicle that I could replace my Acadia with, but every alternative I can think of has major drawbacks. The Ford Flex is the most comparable, but it is just so ugly my wife would shoot me if I made her drive it. Thought about the Lincoln MKT, which looks much nicer than the Flex - but then I read that due to the roofline the 3rd row headroom is a joke. So I guess I'll keep driving and enjoying the Acadia until something as good or better comes along - or until I get so PO'd that I'm willing to settle for something less than optimal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL exseler :D. I didnt get rid of the wife for burning diner but if she cheated on me right after our honeymoon................................. ::)

Gents, the only metrics I usually go on is the vehicles I've owned along with our family and friends. We are all car people and we all are notified when one of us have car issues. Its just something that binds us I guess. Now unlike some of you guys, everyone on my end is absolutely shocked that a vehicle in this price range would develope mechanical problems six weeks after purchase at about 2K miles. Its something none of us had seen before. The SS in and out of the shop was bad enough. I have to say that I am a bit suprised that this is considered "not so bad".

Im not looking for the perfect vehicle and not even the one I built from the frame up is perfect. But really, am I asking too much for a NEW vehicle to safely transport us down the highway without breaking down...................at least make it to its first oil change without shop repair?. It wasnt like this back in the day. Are my standards too high? I still feel like this Acadia cheated on me right after we got hitched ::)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
While I think everyone agrees that it is bad news the fuel pump went out so quickly, it is also anecdotal in the grand view of the vehicle's usage. How many other 2009 models have had the pump fail? Ours has not with over 13K miles on it, and I suspect if this was a common problem like the sunroof leaks we'd have heard something about it by now from other owners.

Despite the best intentions, engineering, and money spent things mechanical will fail. We can look to the shuttle Challenger as a prime example of that.

You were unfortunate enough to have a defect that prevented operation on a new vehicle in a short amount of time. Even a new Mercedes SLK will break down during testing. According to the True Delta website, the much more expensive 2008 Mercedes GL class CUV owners have made 116 trips to the dealer for 26 vehicles tracked. This is an absolutely miserable average, and True Delta sums the trips up as:
"Very high- worst among 2008s in the survey."

If you had gotten the vehicle we did it wouldn't have happened.

If you have repetitive failures as you have described for the TB, then that is another matter.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Islandman said:
LOL exseler :D. I didnt get rid of the wife for burning diner but if she cheated on me right after our honeymoon................................. ::)

Gents, the only metrics I usually go on is the vehicles I've owned along with our family and friends. We are all car people and we all are notified when one of us have car issues. Its just something that binds us I guess. Now unlike some of you guys, everyone on my end is absolutely shocked that a vehicle in this price range would develope mechanical problems six weeks after purchase at about 2K miles. Its something none of us had seen before. The SS in and out of the shop was bad enough. I have to say that I am a bit suprised that this is considered "not so bad".

Im not looking for the perfect vehicle and not even the one I built from the frame up is perfect. But really, am I asking too much for a NEW vehicle to safely transport us down the highway without breaking down...................at least make it to its first oil change without shop repair?. It wasnt like this back in the day. Are my standards too high? I still feel like this Acadia cheated on me right after we got hitched ::)
Things happen; at least you can assured that this new fuel pump should out live the vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with you for the most part and like you stated above, we are programed to some extent to complain about these types of things. Yep, I am licking my wounds but where else could I turn to? (My wife didnt want to hear it anymore. ;D)

Hopefully it has had it's hipcup and all will be fine from here on out. I do honestly like all this vehicle has to offer and would like to retract my statement about tradeing up sooner than later.

We'll see how she does. Good job and thanks. You should charge by the hour. :thumb:

As for the TBSS................. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
956 Posts
While all makes have problems and all makes produce lemons now and then, GM seems to have one of the worst reputations. I have had my share of lemons from GM and swore I would never buy another, but I did and although my Acadia is in no way a lemon I would not buy it again. I like the space and styling, but that is about it. The engine and transmission are a total mismatch as far as performance goes and I have little faith in the long term durability.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I tend to look at what's going right instead of what's going wrong; I guarantee your wrong is no where near someone's else's wrong----------meaning you don't know how good something is until you find someone else in a worse situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts