GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 557 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just released yesterday, May 8, 2008. It appears the new, optional calibration will hold each gear longer before upshifting. Like the document says though, it will likely have a negative effect on fuel economy.

#08-07-30-022: Hesitation or Flat Spot Between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) (Reprogram Transmission Control Module) - (May 8, 2008)

Subject: Hesitation or Flat Spot Between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) (Reprogram Transmission Control Module)
Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
with FWD or AWD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a flat spot or hesitation between 56-80 km/h (35-50 mph) speed range.

Cause
The existing transmission calibration is programmed to maximize fuel economy and requires a greater throttle input than some customers would prefer to provide acceleration in this speed range.

Correction
A new calibration is available. This new calibration increases the speed required to obtain upshifts and removes TCC apply from 2nd to 3rd gear, thereby reducing engine lugging and improving vehicle response to accelerator input.

Important: This calibration will have a negative impact on fuel economy of 0-1.2 L/100 km (0-2 mpg) combined driving.[/color]

To obtain this calibration, contact Techline (TCSC) at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French). Techline will reconfigure the vehicle to make this calibration the default calibration for this vehicle.

The table below shows the Shift Pattern Change at Light Throttle.

--
Current Calibration New Calibration
Shift MPH KPH MPH KPH
1-2 8 13 12 19
2-3 18 29 20 33
3-4 24 40 31 50
4-5 32 53 43 69
5-6 44 71 56 90

TCC Applied 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th 4th, 5th, 6th

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
K5364 Transmission Control Module Reprogram with SPS Use Published Labor Operation Time

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thanks for the note and no thanks for the calibration. :) I have adjusted to how much I need to push the pedal and when and I am totally satisfied with the performance as is. No way am I going to drop 2 mpg for a change.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAR said:
Thanks for the note and no thanks for the calibration. :) I have adjusted to how much I need to push the pedal and when and I am totally satisfied with the performance as is. No way am I going to drop 2 mpg for a change.
I agree. This powertrain combo is like night and day compared to the sluggishness we had to deal with from our Odyssey. I'm happy with how it is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
SWEET LORD HALLELJAH!! I knew you'd hear our prayers!

Not sure how anyone can get used to these dangerous shifting patterns and the non responsiveness! But wait, does "optional" mean we need to pay for it? :(

Who's gonna go first? Please report back!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mscappa said:
SWEET LORD HALLELJAH!! I knew you'd hear our prayers!

Not sure how anyone can get used to these dangerous shifting patterns and the non responsiveness! But wait, does "optional" mean we need to pay for it? :(

Who's gonna go first? Please report back!
It's "optional" in the sense that they will only do it if it is requested by the owner. If the vehicle is still under the factory warranty, it's warranty work, no charge. :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
ahh... but will you be able to go back to the previous calibration if you don't like it or the resulting MPG.....

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iscifi said:
ahh... but will you be able to go back to the previous calibration if you don't like it or the resulting MPG.....
You need someone smarter than me to answer that. ;D

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have only had the very first trans shift program update. Although I wouldn't call it perfect, I am used to it now and it seems to respond to throttle input reasonably well. I doubt I will have the latest done

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's too bad we don't have a "peformance" button for the transmission. I have the factory tow package and if I want the transmission to hold each gear longer I turn on the tow/haul mode. It works well when I am hauling 8 passengers or a lot of stuff. If I'm not loaded but driving in downtown traffic I just use the M mode to keep it out of 5th and/or 6th as needed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When a reprogram is done to the ecm, the tech can pick and choose the calibrations. There is a list of the latest calibrations (all the latest are usually choosen). You can compare to the current calibrations in the ecm (or tcm in this case). I doubt the dealership will reprogram to older calibrations free of charge.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I wonder if this will take care of the vibration at 45-50mph that the second transmission reprogram caused... I hate to have this one done and make my Acadia even worse. ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Web Raven said:
I wonder if this will take care of the vibration at 45-50mph that the second transmission reprogram caused... I hate to have this one done and make my Acadia even worse. ???
Is that even possible!? >:D before i get flamed, I'm kidding!! ....kinda

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Web Raven said:
If it is all software, I bet they can put it back to the way it was before. Have you pushed them to do this??

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
Web Raven said:
If it is all software, I bet they can put it back to the way it was before. Have you pushed them to do this??
The dealer and GM are both in denial that it was caused by the tranny flash. They insist that it is a normal operating condition of the vehicle. Funny, it wasn't there before the second reprogram of my Acadia's transmission. Whatever. The 2nd flash made my MPG drop like a rock too. So I suppose this third one can't really do much worse. I'll probably go ahead and bring it in as soon as I find some time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not going to get this; I'm happy with the current reflash I have.

However, I'm sure any SLE owners out there looking to make their DIC's fully functional will be happy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Did I understand this correctly...you just need to call the techline to have this done? No need to go to the dealership?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have to go to the dealership and have them perform the reprogram. It is done with the Tech 2 and SIS software.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ahh...just reread it and remembered this is a document used by the dealerships and not general public. Maybe I'll plan this for my next oil change visit.

Doesn't anyone else think that this could *maybe* increase, or at least maintain current MPG? It can't be helping my MPG now with having to over-rev the engine to get beyond the flat spot. Sure you can just baby the throttle and the car will eventually get you where you want to be, but if you don't have that time(trying to pass, avoiding something) this is the outcome in the trans current state. The most bothersome aspect of the trans to me is the feeling of disconnection to the driver. If I press the gas, I would to have the feedback noticed more.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not looking to get this upgrade. Like the way ours behave's from last update Oct 07.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I'll very likely go for this at my next service appointment. I've just had my last oil change a week ago, so it'll be a few months. I've been one of the whiner's about the trans shifting since I got my '08. I'm also one of the people with an SLE who has installed the DIC buttons. I think I'll first be checking whether it is possible to go backwards to a previous version if I don't like it.

Does anybody know if this also incorporates the other update that was released not too long ago that was supposed to help stop 5-6-5-6-5 shimmy on hills on the highway?

Thanks GeoHawk for publishing the info on this update. I'm thankful this forum has a user like you that can provide some substance and facts to all of our rumors and guesses. :)

1 - 20 of 557 Posts